First spoiler about the extended cut got leaked

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect 3
  3. First spoiler about the extended cut got leaked

User Info: Scrooge_McDuck

Scrooge_McDuck
5 years ago#61
Raze_da_Kitsune posted...
Also another quick point I want to throw in as that Hackett knew going into the attack that this was going to be the battle to end the war whether they won or lost. There is NO reason for them to leave if the Crucible doesn't work. Why wouldn't you save the one man that made any of it possible?

A bomb that may or may not cripple the enemy force is about to go off. Do you really want to hang around when that happens? What if it blows up everyone? What if it cripples only half of enemy's fleet? What if it also cripples your own fleet more than the enemy's?

An temporary retreat is the soundest option. If the Crubicle doesn't work, then they could swoop back in and have their last stand. If it works and there are remnants of the Reaper forces, then they would gain a big advantage on the upcoming battle. If it actually destroys everything near it indiscriminately, then having millions of survivors is better then having none at all.

See. Hackett did say that he doesn't want to lose Shepard, but that doesn't mean that he's the only one he doesn't want to lose.

User Info: Fusioncode99

Fusioncode99
5 years ago#62
trigin12 posted...
He knew that the Crucible will destroy the Reapers, and I'm pretty sure there are Reapers outside of earth. Meaning this attack would span the entire galaxy, so the fleet would not be able to avoid no matter how far they got. Their only option is to use it and hope for the best.

No, he believed it would be a weapon they could use on the Reapers. He knew there was no guarantee it would kill them or even harm them.

What else would it do besides harm them? Bake them a platter of cookies? If Hackett had formed coherent thoughts then he would have realized that ordering your fleet to evacuate would make no difference, no matter how far they got, the weapon would either kill them or not. It all depends on if the crucible would hurt organics or not.

User Info: Raze_da_Kitsune

Raze_da_Kitsune
5 years ago#63
Also another quick point I want to throw in as that Hackett knew going into the attack that this was going to be the battle to end the war whether they won or lost. There is NO reason for them to leave if the Crucible doesn't work. Why wouldn't you save the one man that made any of it possible?

A bomb that may or may not cripple the enemy force is about to go off. Do you really want to hang around when that happens? What if it blows up everyone? What if it cripples only half of enemy's fleet? What if it also cripples your own fleet more than the enemy's?

An temporary retreat is the soundest option. If the Crubicle doesn't work, then they could swoop back in and have their last stand. If it works and there are remnants of the Reaper forces, then they would gain a big advantage on the upcoming battle. If it actually destroys everything near it indiscriminately, then having millions of survivors is better then having none at all.

See. Hackett did say that he doesn't want to lose Shepard, but that doesn't mean that he's the only one he doesn't want to lose.

While that all sounds pretty solid when brought up by us it just doesn't work in this situation. They're desparate. They don't know wtf the damn thing's gonna do or even if it'll work. Its do or die for them. Hackett says that himself.
Julio Jones with the cement hands. - Dathrowed1
I am the paragon of humanity. You may worship me.....from afar...

User Info: phoenix52

phoenix52
5 years ago#64
Further, the Reapers had gathered above Earth. It's just as reasonable to assume that, since the majority of their forces were gathered in one location Hackett decided to activate the Crucible there and take out as many as he could at one time.

There isn't just one way to interpret these things.
Its like having a knitting contest between the best regular old lady knitter in the world and a guy who's superpower is specifically to be the best knitter ever

User Info: Iokua

Iokua
5 years ago#65
Fusioncode99 posted...
phoenix52 posted...
Fusioncode99 posted...
Iokua posted...
Out of character for HACKETT not people in general dude. Are you not getting that part?

Which statement are we talking?

Yes, I know, we're talking about Hackett; the highest ranking military officer in the Alliance. I am fully aware of this.

We're talking about the last one I made, that you're flat out admitting that you think Hackett would be willing to **** over every man, woman and child that live and ever will live in the Milky Way just to make sure Shepard lives.

The crucible weapon was already activated so how would the fleet leaving earth be able to save every man, woman, and child. Hackett isn't going to be able to avoid the galaxy-wide attack so what's the point of him and joker running away to the rendezvous point. If the crucible attack was fatal to organics, then flying to a different planet would change nothing.

Hackett is not this stupid, he would have known the crucible attack was unavoidable and running away would do nothing. Bioware's pathetic writing staff have now ruined Hackett as well as Joker. Those guys should give themselves a pat on the back.

How would he know that? From the records that the Protheans left on the effect of their incomplete piece of technology? Nobody knows how the Crucible is going to work. Standard operating procedure when working with a poorly understood weapon is to light the fuse and get the heck out of the way. It would be stupid for him to leave the allied forces in between the Crucible and the Reapers.

He knew that the Crucible will destroy the Reapers, and I'm pretty sure there are Reapers outside of earth. Meaning this attack would span the entire galaxy, so the fleet would not be able to avoid no matter how far they got. Their only option is to use it and hope for the best.

The majority of the Reaper fleet is in the Sol system, the rest of the Reapers were likely in manageable number in the galaxy at large, and Hackett had no way of knowing whether or not it would wipe out all of the Reapers. The only measure of its power that we're ever given is that it is "unquantifiable", which means he has no way of knowing whether it would only decimate the Reapers in the Sol system or the entire armada across the galaxy. For all he knows it could unleash a signal that interacts with the indoctrination signal and destroys the Reapers, or it could just unleash a supernova that obliterates everything in the Sol system. The game spends more time on Shepard running through imaginary forests than it does on explaining the Crucible.
Welcome to gamefaqs, where poverty is an illegal activity.

User Info: trigin12

trigin12
5 years ago#66
What else would it do besides harm them? Bake them a platter of cookies? If Hackett had formed coherent thoughts then he would have realized that ordering your fleet to evacuate would make no difference, no matter how far they got, the weapon would either kill them or not. It all depends on if the crucible would hurt organics or not.

For all he knew (or any of us), it could have been a weapon for the Reapers to use. Plans created by indoctrinated individuals. It could have even been completely worthless, point is, Hackett and the others had absolutely no clue what the Crucible was or what it did or what the effects would be. Claiming otherwise is folly.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvsgtrDqUn1qkvw0vo1_500.png
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n69/paulfuss/wambamthankyoumam2.gif

User Info: Sociopathix

Sociopathix
5 years ago#67
Scrooge_McDuck posted...

And here I was thinking I was gonna have to type all that^

What he said.
If vegetarians eat vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?
GT: Sociopathix msg first if your gonna add please
(message deleted)

User Info: Fusioncode99

Fusioncode99
5 years ago#69
*sigh* if Bioware had actually bothered to explain what the Crusible did then we wouldn't be having this problem.

User Info: _Mad_Hatter_

_Mad_Hatter_
5 years ago#70
Out of character for HACKETT not people in general dude. Are you not getting that part?

Which statement are we talking?

Hackett, in the very beginning of the game sent a ton of soldiers to their death. He basically gave a bunch of kids baseball bats and said go kill those gang-bangers with AK-47 over there. Those kids then got killed by the gang-bangers, and Hackett buyed himself and others time to escape. Those kids also people he didn't want to lose, they were people he didn't want dead.

Point is love for one person takes a backseat to survival of an entire galaxy full of species. Ordering a retreat, or a fallback, is a call a leader would make, especially when that leader is responsible for EVERYBODY in the galaxy, and everybody is getting overwhelmed a fallback is not out of character, not even for Hackett.

Save Shepard = All good and what-not...
Save EVERYBODY EVERYWHERE except Shepard = The right choice. One a leader would make...
If I was Tigrex I would jump you
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect 3
  3. First spoiler about the extended cut got leaked

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived