Was it ever explained why none of the ME 2 crew made it as ME 3 crew members ?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect 3
  3. Was it ever explained why none of the ME 2 crew made it as ME 3 crew members ?

User Info: Kiyosuki_Mk2

Kiyosuki_Mk2
4 years ago#101
pprincess posted...
One big story point in ME 3 rules out several of the ME 2 characters, and perhaps that is deliberate. The Normandy was turned over to the Alliance and becomes an Alliance stealth frigate. Miranda and Jacob would have never been allowed to join the Alliance. They weren't just Cerberus techs like Gabby and Ken, they were commando team members for the Illusive Man and wanted as terrorists.

Grunt was never Alliance, he can't be Alliance, and he has no training at all. Wrex was a mercenary, as is Zaeed, they are not Alliance staff. Samara has no Council standing, much less Alliance, her Justicar role is purely Asari. Thane is yet another criminal. Kasumi is a thief wanted by the Council for criminal activity.

Clearly the writers don't consider Jack in the Alliance even though they gave her an Alliance teaching job. Having her in the combat arena party for the Alliance squadmate challenge won't win you the challenge, so apparently the writers don't consider her Alliance military.

In ME 3, after detention Shepard is now under Alliance command. The only reason Shep ends up with Garrus and Tali, aside from the writers winning out, is the overall story arc makes them useful in brokering alliances for their fleets.

This doesn't make any sense because like you said, Garrus and Tali have neither been in the Alliance so obviously being in the alliance was never a valid reason to not include any character character.

I could easily turn this around and say that Miranda, even if former Cerberus, could have easily been a source of information that would have been useful to keep close if she were to have offered to join...I'm pretty sure no military in it's right mind would turn away the chance to have a formerly high-ranking defector from an enemy faction.

This also ignores a huge part of ME3's story, in that it's not just about the human alliance, it's about creating an overall galactic alliance even if you play Shepard as pro-human as possible.

Of course every ME2 character has an excuse to not be in your party in this game, but the question is just how flimsy some of those excuses were and how easily changed they could have been. Some characters like...Thane, Mordin, Wrex (unfortunately, though I still hold that it wouldn't have been THAT hard) have pretty good and thick reasons for not being potential squaddies but many of the others not so much. Hell some of the ME2 characters have less responsibilities to "refrain" to than Garrus and Tali themselves. Hell Legion could have easily joined, forgoing the self-sacrifice angle, as a representative of his people which would have been invaluable. There still wasn't a single good reason why Grunt at least didn't join. His company was gone, he wasn't THAT banged up (you can't tell me he was worse off than Garrus in ME2 who was ready to serve after taking a rocket to the face), and I'm pretty sure the Krogans could have spared him. It certainly wasn't a lack of training either, considering he'd accumulated both real experience by then on top of his tank-education.

As it is now they need to explain off all the ME2 characters simply because none of them join, but that doesn't change that they could have very easily given you at least one or two.

User Info: LenneValkirye

LenneValkirye
4 years ago#102
edgecrusher02 posted...

then they want to continue mass effect but how do you "top" something like that? how do you top saving the ENTIRE GALAXY from galactic extinction?

You can't and that's why ME4 will miserably fail IMO.

User Info: kaliskonig

kaliskonig
4 years ago#103
kungfuj0 posted...
I don't know the answers to any of the questions raised in this topic, but I do know this...

After seeing how ME has been handled, I don't EVER want to hear about another company doing a TRILOGY in ADVANCE AGAIN!!!

Stupid me, I thought that since they KNEW they were doing a trilogy from the get-go, alot of this stuff would have been planned WELL in advance. Even if they didn't know EXACTLY how everything would turn out, they should have had a basic framework for how they wanted things to go FROM THE BEGINNING.

ME, to me, seems to have been treated as 3 seperate games, when in fact, since it was a supposed to be a trilogy from day 1, it should have been treated as 3 parts of ONE game. The games should all of flowed seemlessly from one to the next, but they sorta didn't. This isn't like a Dragon Age, where no one was ever looking for a trilogy. Trilogy was one of the first words I heard/read used when ME was first announced.

All of this stuff should have been planned a helluva lot better than it was. That's all I'm saying. If this is how planned trilogies are going to go, then I honestly and sincerely hope that we NEVER hear the T-word again in advance like that. I hope all devs just take it a game at a time from now on.

This!!!! I thank CC2 for handling the .hack games properly. I felt sick to my stomach once I started to realize how many ass-pulls the ME team was pulling and were just going with the flow instead of having a deep story down ahead of time.

User Info: kaliskonig

kaliskonig
4 years ago#104
I honestly wish Bioware would have just admitted they screwed up...gave the fans what they wanted as far as the ending goes and left the series alone afterwards. Mass Effect 4 shouldn't even have to happen. Bioware needs to create a new epic instead of being known as the ME and DA guys.

User Info: Smacake

Smacake
4 years ago#105
LenneValkirye posted...
edgecrusher02 posted...

then they want to continue mass effect but how do you "top" something like that? how do you top saving the ENTIRE GALAXY from galactic extinction?

Next game continues into new galaxies out side the milky way and not only do you have to save our galaxy again you have to save the new galaxy or galaxies as well.Saving the universe or multiple galaxies tops the current end to the trilogy because shepard only saved the milky way.
Do not judge others unless you judge yourself first.Afterwards pick up a 12 gadge shotgun and prepare for the zombie apocolypse.

User Info: edgecrusher02

edgecrusher02
4 years ago#106
Smacake posted...
LenneValkirye posted...
edgecrusher02 posted...

Next game continues into new galaxies out side the milky way and not only do you have to save our galaxy again you have to save the new galaxy or galaxies as well.Saving the universe or multiple galaxies tops the current end to the trilogy because shepard only saved the milky way.

which is definitely a possibility. but if its all new everything, then you can put mass effect in the name all you want but it wont be the same. if they want to continue it properly and in a way that allows for things that fans like it will have to include at least some of the same species otherwise it will be indistinguishable from the the universe they spent so many years crafting and that we spent so many years with that we have come to love. all new everything will also most likely be seen as a cop out to most fans in that it looks like they couldnt find a way to acknowledge the current trilogy due to the ending choice.
religion is flawed because man is flawed. no gods, no kings... only man.
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect 3
  3. Was it ever explained why none of the ME 2 crew made it as ME 3 crew members ?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived