What do you think of the Ending now ?

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect 3
  3. What do you think of the Ending now ?

User Info: Sega9599

Sega9599
4 weeks ago#31
GodDogs posted...
The ending still stinks, but the extended cut makes it far more palatable at least. I actually liked the "indoctrination theory" that fans came up with back when the game released. It made a ton of sense, and was kind of this fun, speculative thought provoking idea sort of like the original Blade Runner. But, it was also sad that fans came up with a better idea, and it was the only thing at the time that made any sense.

Given what it is now, I still wish there was a final confrontation with Harbinger, like he tries to trick you as the star child, but then he is exposed and you confront the real reaper behind it. That being said, destroy is the only logical choice, even though the game really wants you to pick synthesis. What I find interesting, and this played into the indoctrination theory, is that Anderson (the good guy) is the destroy (red/renegade) choice, while Illusive Man is control (blue/paragon). Seems the opposite of their characters. And synthesis is what Saren wanted...

also, TC, the game was originally supposed to have a different ending/motive of the reapers. It wasn't supposed to be this "organics vs synthetics" thing, but had to do with dark matter. However, that idea got leaked and so Bioware changed it.

Any idea where I can find more information on this alternate ending?
Needed: New Pokemon Puzzle League, Shining Force and Left 4 Dead....

User Info: GodDogs

GodDogs
4 weeks ago#32
Sega9599 posted...
GodDogs posted...
The ending still stinks, but the extended cut makes it far more palatable at least. I actually liked the "indoctrination theory" that fans came up with back when the game released. It made a ton of sense, and was kind of this fun, speculative thought provoking idea sort of like the original Blade Runner. But, it was also sad that fans came up with a better idea, and it was the only thing at the time that made any sense.

Given what it is now, I still wish there was a final confrontation with Harbinger, like he tries to trick you as the star child, but then he is exposed and you confront the real reaper behind it. That being said, destroy is the only logical choice, even though the game really wants you to pick synthesis. What I find interesting, and this played into the indoctrination theory, is that Anderson (the good guy) is the destroy (red/renegade) choice, while Illusive Man is control (blue/paragon). Seems the opposite of their characters. And synthesis is what Saren wanted...

also, TC, the game was originally supposed to have a different ending/motive of the reapers. It wasn't supposed to be this "organics vs synthetics" thing, but had to do with dark matter. However, that idea got leaked and so Bioware changed it.

Sure

http://www.pcgamer.com/mass-effect-3-series-former-lead-writer-reveals-original-ending-ideas/

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/somethingawful-the-plot-of-me3-changed-dramatically-big-big-spoilers.250066288/

you can find more by just googling "ME3 original ending leak"
It does not matter where we go. It is not the destination that matters...it is the journey.

Sega9599
4 weeks ago#33
Thanks.

Looking at early threads complaining about the ending, it really seems that a lot of people did just want to save the day and all their friends, to defeat all the reapers and fight on for another day.

They really wanted that basic cliché ending and they felt entitled to it, to be in total control, to be in charge of their own fate and prove that they can do anything and everything if they just want it bad enough.
Plus it's escapism and they felt depressed enough etc.....

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/995452-mass-effect-3/62187608

I guess clichés work for a reason
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: ChrisLeo

ChrisLeo
4 weeks ago#34
GodDogs posted...
Sega9599 posted...
GodDogs posted...

Sure

http://www.pcgamer.com/mass-effect-3-series-former-lead-writer-reveals-original-ending-ideas/

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/somethingawful-the-plot-of-me3-changed-dramatically-big-big-spoilers.250066288/

I heard about this. This is what the ending was supposed to be. There is a reason why it's called "Mass Effect" and Biotics are just that. Forget the "Organic and Synthetic" relation and leave it to the Geth and Quarians, this should have been the true ending and reason for the Reapers existing. As a Vanguard Shepard i'm happy that Biotics have some more importance to the Story
Video Games are not just art for entertainment, they show a 2nd life. And i am not a Gamer because i got no life, but because i choose to have many. #Pokemon20

Sega9599
4 weeks ago#35
ChrisLeo posted...
GodDogs posted...
Sega9599 posted...
GodDogs posted...

Sure

I heard about this. This is what the ending was supposed to be. There is a reason why it's called "Mass Effect" and Biotics are just that. Forget the "Organic and Synthetic" relation and leave it to the Geth and Quarians, this should have been the true ending and reason for the Reapers existing. As a Vanguard Shepard i'm happy that Biotics have some more importance to the Story

The second link talks about how somehow this cycle, humans were different, more of a variable then anything else before. The whole universe had to stop and change because of humanity, and because of one man. Shepherd.

While I don't mind these type of storylines too much, I would have been disappointed if this had been the ending, with Shepherd saying "I'm different. Badder and more resilient than any other life form. for hundreds of cycles creatures have been obliterated by you. Humans are the first/best to say No."

User Info: GodDogs

GodDogs
3 weeks ago#36
Well, the original ending also makes more sense in how ME2 ended, with the human reaper. Otherwise, why in the world were they creating a human looking reaper?
It does not matter where we go. It is not the destination that matters...it is the journey.

User Info: Olld-Onne

Olld-Onne
3 weeks ago#37
GodDogs posted...
Well, the original ending also makes more sense in how ME2 ended, with the human reaper. Otherwise, why in the world were they creating a human looking reaper?

Indoctrinated Scientist: I have nearly completed the ultimate Reaper, yes.

Harbinger: What are you on about I did not authorise you to make one on our behalf?

Indoctrinate Scientist: It will be finished soon, I just have to keep Sheperd and squad at bay for a few more minutes so I can install the rest of its attack programming.

Harbinger: It appears to be in the shape of a human?

Indoctrinated Scientist: Yes, it's magnificent, it will destroy the vary species it is saving us the trouble.

Harbinger: How will it fly after it is triumphant, also it will look silly next to the rest of us. Stop the download and let Sheperd in to kill it.

Indoctrinated Scientist: I did not think this through, indoctrinated an all. I will Iet shepherd in to eradicate my mistake.

Harbinger: Good, make sure you destroy all the blueprints we cant let this get out or will be a laughing stock.
you haven't set a signature for the message boards yet!
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: trapgod_revan

trapgod_revan
3 weeks ago#38
Years later and the ending still sticks in my metaphorical "craw." Bioware's tribute to an excellent game series that cultivated legions of fans was the ability to choose between three big fat s*** cakes. Bravo, Senor Hudson. And go f*** yourself.
I don't know which was worse, the cold or the corporations. One will freeze your balls off, the other will sell them out from under you.

User Info: DChybridking

DChybridking
3 weeks ago#39
Still makes me mad. The salt will not leave
My past is not a memory; it's a force at my back

User Info: trapgod_revan

trapgod_revan
2 weeks ago#40
DChybridking posted...
Still makes me mad. The salt will not leave

Honestly, I would have enjoyed a stereotypical "happily ever after" ending a lot more than the bulls*** they fed us. Actually, I would have enjoyed just about any other ending a lot more than the bulls*** they fed us.
I don't know which was worse, the cold or the corporations. One will freeze your balls off, the other will sell them out from under you.
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect 3
  3. What do you think of the Ending now ?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.