The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

How are the talking heads from BioWare coming up with 16 "different" endings?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect 3
  3. How are the talking heads from BioWare coming up with 16 "different" endings?

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
5 years ago#1
First and foremost if the title doesn't indicate to you that this topic has or will have spoilers in it then you're an idiot. Consider this a secondary disclaimer that there can, or will, be spoilers in this topic. /shrugs.

That said...

#1 Blue Bad
#2 Blue Good
#3 Green
#4 Red Worst
#5 Red Bad
#6 Red Good
#7 Generic game over. *1

That's 7 endings right there. We can pretty much nail down that there are 7 "distinct" endings, and by distinct I mean "deviation from the other endings of at least 6,000 pixels." I don't actually mean different in any meaningful way. These endings are pretty much nailed down by the video files. Also in the video files are "Shepard Alive" clips. There are two of those.

If the Shepard survival part is separate from the red/good ending then there are 9 endings whereas if they're linked it's only 8 endings. Basically Red Male Good, Red Female Good, and maybe generic Red Good if you can get it separate.

That's at best 9 endings out of a purported 16 endings. If you were being generous, and by generous I mean willing to ascribe semantical differences based on player perception and not anything from within the game environment itself, you could almost double the number of endings by making them all gender-specific. Red/Male/Bad, Female/Red/Worst, and so on. If you did that you would get, at best, 15 endings.

So we have 7 definitive endings, potentially 8 or 9 endings depending on how things are split up, and up to 15 endings if you want to get really, really, really really really generous and consider the gender*1 of the player, who's already dead by the time the ending starts, as being enough to separate one ending from another.

Where, and what, is/are the remaining ending(s)? There are supposed to be 16 different endings, right? By my count at best the game is one short. If we were to be completely honest, and not just really generous, it would be short 7 or 8 endings.

This is just something I've been pondering ever since I beat the game, got an ending that was quite divorced from reallity, and started reading many of the rage, and troll, topics on the subject.

_________

*1 - I'm being nice here and throwing BioWare a bone. A game over screen can be technically considered a game ending since your game did, in fact, just end. The only substantial difference between a game over screen and the traditional ending is that game over screens don't normally have lots of CGI clips and/or cut scene movies.

*2 - Again, I'm throwing BioWare another bone here. You could argue that there is a difference between endings based purely on the gender of Shepard, and because it's similar to many of the technicalities that BioWare seems to be using to justify other aspects of the game it's quite possible that they did this themselves when coming up with "16" endings. Given that gender makes no difference whatsoever in any ending, except for the sound made in the survival endings, I don't see any point to trying for this distinction, but as I said, it's a technically that BioWare could have embraced to fluff up the numbers.
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.

User Info: Warthog989

Warthog989
5 years ago#2
You are 100% correct sir, might I direct you to this website here: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/DemandABetterEndingToMassEffect3
"Charge men! Their white flags are no match for our muskets!"

User Info: extremegunner

extremegunner
5 years ago#3
Red best have one extra scene with Shepard doing that stupid half breath. So yea, maybe that counts as one more?

Man, I wish some people would bring this up during PAX East.

User Info: GAMER_X

GAMER_X
5 years ago#4
Theres only 3 endings period. They lied and applied spin trying to say negligible minute differences in 2 seconds of the SAME CG = different ending.

CHRONO TRIGGER, has 12 endings. They are all different and distinct and damn near none of them reuse anything.

Mass Effect, has 3 endings that really are just slight bendings of the same single asset cinematic. Bioware, outside of all the other lies they told in the week before launch, decided to pull a lie out of their asses ala Fallout 3's "OMG 300 endings!!" and try to claim a teeny weeny 2 second diff in the same cutscene equals a totally different ending.

Ah yes, 16 endings. We have dismissed that claim.

Biowares sold their souls to the EA devil with Mass Effect 3, and now they sell their games with lots of bold face lies and lots of money blown on paid reviews and marketing hype, instead of making a game that isnt cheap half ass garbage.
Guardian Gamer X
"CE's verbal cruelty is only matched by an eight-armed robot beating multiple baby seals."-PursuitandTie

User Info: benos

benos
5 years ago#5
Just like they did with Fallout 3, there was a few endings.
Currently Playing: Skyrim, RPG Maker 2003, Rage, FEAR 2,

User Info: Fallout10mm

Fallout10mm
5 years ago#6
Fallout 3 at least had the slideshow for every major place you went, and followed the same formula as the previous fallouts (ending wise).
There is no overkill, there is "Open Fire" And "I have to reload".
Gamertag: Fallout10mm

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
5 years ago#7
extremegunner posted...
Red best have one extra scene with Shepard doing that stupid half breath. So yea, maybe that counts as one more?

Covered that. If you want to get seriously flipping technical...

Male endings:
#1 Blue bad.
#2 Blue good.
#3 Green
#4 Red worst/incineration.
#5 Red bad
#6 Red good
#7 Red good with CPR.

Male endings:
#8 Blue bad.
#9 Blue good.
#10 Green
#11 Red worst/incineration.
#12 Red bad
#13 Red good
#14 Red good with CPR.

#15 Game over.

Even if you don't separate endings by male/female for most of them the breathing thing only adds another 2 endings if, and only if, the good ending does not come automatically with the breathing clip. If the "good" red ending always has either the male or female breathing clip attached then it's only one extra ending. So basically 7 endings if you don't differentiate any by gender, 9 if you differentiate the breathing by gender and they're separate from the "red good" ending, and 15 endings if you separate them all by gender.

_____

Actually though it just occurred to me. I know how you could come up with 16 different endings.

Male endings:
#1 Blue bad.
#2 Blue good.
#3 Green
#4 Red worst/incineration.
#5 Red bad
#6 Red good
#7 Red good with CPR.
#8 Male game over.

Male endings:
#9 Blue bad.
#10 Blue good.
#11 Green
#12 Red worst/incineration.
#13 Red bad
#14 Red good
#15 Red good with CPR.
#16 Female game over.

There we go! We have 16 different endings for Mass Effect 3. Of course there's literally no difference in game over screens/mechanics based on gender, but hey, there's no real difference between doing the red endings (except for the ones with CPR) based on gender either so if those count then we need to separate the game over screen endings based on gender.

Yup, sixteen different endings for Mass Effect 3. http://www.myfacewhen.com/images/86.png
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.

User Info: timerider4

timerider4
5 years ago#8
What's the difference between blue bad and good? Control Reapers and make them stop, and control Reapers to do your bidding?
"...Everytime I do it now I imagine the gnome screaming 'THE GNOME DOES NOT LIKE TO BE TOUCHED.'" - themagicpainman, on HL2 Ep.2's Little Rocket Man

User Info: El_Kaz

El_Kaz
5 years ago#9
Blue with low EMS kills a bunch of people on Earth (but not as bad as Red with low EMS) as the Crucible partially "backfires".
Wait... what?

User Info: veralece

veralece
5 years ago#10
There's only one ending.

"Endings" implies that different things happen when you finish the game and make different choices throughout the game. But since your choices don't matter, there is only one ending.
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect 3
  3. How are the talking heads from BioWare coming up with 16 "different" endings?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived