A disappointing downgrade from Guerrilla....

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Red Faction: Armageddon
  3. A disappointing downgrade from Guerrilla....

User Info: exclusiveburner

exclusiveburner
6 years ago#1
I'm really disappointed with this game. I know some didn't like Guerilla because the free roaming got a bit repetitive, but they had much better set pieces for destruction. I haven't completed the single player yet I'm close, but its extremely linear and the fov sucks. The story I could care less about, and the enemies are boring too.

I really enjoyed driving through buildings with various vehicles and exploring stuff in the first game, none of that is present here nor the extremely large buildings you used to be able to take down they just don't exist. Then the multiplayer...infestation...sucks....and Ruins is good but only 5 poorly designed maps?

I really feel shortchanged, the first game had more features...jetpacks, vehicles, etc...etc...

All the Ruins and challenges from the first game should have been present here too, why skimp out on features and why no competitive MP?

I'm surprised so many of you are enjoying this game, its one of the biggest disappointments so far this year imo. Guerrilla got more praise, they should have just expanded on that, not subtract.
I need a 2 TB SSD, a Rampage III Mobo, Quad-SLI 590's, 48GB of Ram, and a Flux Capacitor. Please let me know if you can donate.

User Info: Wanana80

Wanana80
6 years ago#2
I can't agree more on this.

User Info: GONtheSKYLORD

GONtheSKYLORD
6 years ago#3
I agree but I can't get enough of the singularity cannon. It gives me joy joy feelings.

User Info: pseudo721

pseudo721
6 years ago#4
From what I understand, many of the large-scale changes between Guerrilla and Armageddon were basically forced on Volition by THQ corporate. Apparently, Volition had plans to make the game much more similar to Guerrilla than what it ended up being, but then several months into development THQ jumped in and said "Hey, you gotta add some aliens to the game!" as well as many other changes that made this game such a divergence from the previous.

If this one sells poorly compared to Guerrilla, maybe Volition will get more say in the next Red Faction game...
Viri

User Info: Earth_Krish

Earth_Krish
6 years ago#5

GONtheSKYLORD posted...
I agree but I can't get enough of the singularity cannon. It gives me joy joy feelings.

There was a singularity bomb in RF:G. Singularity gun sounds cool but also a little too easy. The singularity bomb had a similar feeling of destruction and felt far more meaningful when it was well timed and well planned, though more control like a timer or detonator upgrade.

They should have upgraded Guerrilla, they did so much that amazed me and all I felt was that they needed to do so much more, can't wait for the next installment.. of course like so much these days devs shock by taking so many steps backwards instead of just improving what needed some work. My heart just sank when I heard the news of loss of sandbox and then there was that terrible feeling that the news wasn't getting any better to make up for it....

good to know inspite of some gushing reviews I'm not the only one who feels that way. Maybe Volition or, well, the money pushers will wake up sometime..

User Info: nimd4

nimd4
6 years ago#6

Earth_Krish posted...
good to know inspite of some gushing reviews I'm not the only one who feels that way

EVERYONE feels that way, but some are trying to save themselves by saying positive stuff because they, like us, love the series. Ofc., this'll be a hit on the console, but who the hell cares about that (except those stuck with consoles & the companies' marketing departments).

User Info: anakvunky

anakvunky
6 years ago#7
+1 for this because i like Guerrilla a lot, and not to say this game is horrendous it just a little bit degrade from the previous game.

Its good but not better than Guerrilla
> Petarung Sejati...

User Info: davidsworld3

davidsworld3
6 years ago#8

I feel the same it's why I never even bothered renting this game though thats also because I no longer live near a rental store I'm basically in the middle of nowhere now that I moved.

I dont understand why they felt they needed to change something that was fun, I spent hours just blowing stuff up and exploring. I played the demo for this and couldn't believe it only played it once and knew it was going to be terrible.

User Info: JamieK1981

JamieK1981
6 years ago#9
i loved all the red faction games, but then again, i don't compare games to their prequels.

Otherwise, i wouldn't play many games. lol

User Info: Mocking Crow

Mocking Crow
6 years ago#10
CWGruppSSBM posted...
If this one sells poorly compared to Guerrilla, maybe Volition will get more say in the next Red Faction game...

Lol... yea maybe in 3-4 years. You know the next game will more than likely be a new engine which is like 1/3 the production time of any new/modified engine games.
Normal was defined by an arrogant or closed minded man who knew too little.
  1. Boards
  2. Red Faction: Armageddon
  3. A disappointing downgrade from Guerrilla....

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived