Milkman Playeth: Red Faction: Armageddon

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Red Faction: Armageddon
  3. Milkman Playeth: Red Faction: Armageddon

User Info: MiIkMan

MiIkMan
10 months ago#1
I've had this game in my Steam library since October 13, 2011. Finally gotten around to giving it a try. Not off to a good start.

Crashed twice on me tonight. First at 17 minutes, then again at 24 minutes. I'd read somewhere that the game does crash during cutscenes, which is what happened to me. Right here, actually:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997429-red-faction-armageddon/68341180

That's unfortunate that Volition left a broken game out there for people to buy.

It desperately needs a quick save. If the game had a quicksave, I can overlook problems like that. There's checkpoints, and you can save at any time but it requires going to the pause menu, select "save game" and then selecting a slot. It's a nuisance. So with that, I don't know how much of this game I'll be able to play. I was hoping to bang it off quick and finally give it a try but it's not looking good. I'll continue to see how it works out.

As for the game itself, the over the shoulder perspective is a bit close but I'm already getting used to it.

One thing I hate in games is headshots not being instant kills and this game has that. Not a fan of blasting numerous shots directly to the head to take down an enemy, especially when there's so many enemies on screen at once.

Hammer is good times. Still fun to use just like in Guerilla. Oddly, there's some kind of power that allows you to punch through walls which is sort of useless since that's what the hammer is for. Ok...

There is also a really bad idea in this game, which sounds cool in theory but is annoying as f*** while actually playing - the ability to destruct anything, including floors. This results in constantly falling through the floor to the lower level and then having to go back up the stairs to where you were. It's so bad. Also bad is the ability to reconstruct objects. So what you have is enemies will shoot and destroy a floor you're standing on, then you reconstruct it so you can stand on it again, and this just repeats until you can kill that enemy that has that "immediate destruction" weapon. It's an annoying cycle of doing this repeatedly and it's not fun. Having only played for 45 minutes, this element of the game was immediately obnoxious.
Milk, man.

MiIkMan
10 months ago#2
Seems to be a stinker. Pretty generic so far. I cannot stand mindless bug enemies and this game is full of them. Such lazy game design to throw swarms of bugs at the player. The enemy designs are uninteresting and terribly generic as well.

Don't have much interest in the destruction of building/structures underground. I recall falling in love with it in Guerilla, but it's boring here. Boring because there's nothing large to take down and boring because the structures are so barebones, like ruins, but of steel beams and s***.

i tried running the game in DX9 today and had no crashes. Yesterday I was running in DX10/11. Will try switching back and forth and see what's best.
Milk, man.

MiIkMan
10 months ago#3
This game sucks. Just mindless shooting down a straight path with the same enemies over and over.

Really difficult to grasp how Volition went from the brilliance of an open world with the ability to drive vehicles and take down buildings to this - dark corridor caves with jumping around bug enemies. It's like they missed the entire point of what made Guerrilla good. Completely.

The dialogue is incredibly annoying. Why do devs want to create yappy characters that never shut up? The guy is saying nothing interesting and there's no humor or anything so why have him constantly talk?
Milk, man.

MiIkMan
10 months ago#4
Crashed on me 4 times tonight, in DX11. Seems to happen at cutscenes and at checkpoints.

Noticed a couple things that are missing from the first game (Guerilla) - no jetpack and no stick bombs, both of which were two of the most fun things in that game. Why leave out such important items?

There's also no combos for the sledge hammer. It's just a single attack, either swing sideways or downwards. Attacking with the hammer lunges Mason forward which is annoying because it makes me miss enemies a lot

Story is atrocious. All the dialogue is awful, as are the interactions and scenes .. it's all such cliche cheese. I could have sworn the voice of Darius Mason was the same guy who did Dying Light but it's not. It's some guy named Steven Snyder. He sounds just like Roger Craig Smith from Dying Light.
Milk, man.

MiIkMan
10 months ago#5
Crashed on me at the end of a setpiece boss fight. The boss has a health bar and you can shoot at him but the only damaged caused to him is by destroying equipment on the ceiling that then falls on him. Such bulls*** game design to mislead the player in thinking that it's a normal bossfight. Had to then replay that boss 4 times. I don't know why that happens to me; I can do something perfectly the first time but if I have to replay it it'll take me several more tries to complete. It happens in a lot of games.

There's a couple good weapons in this game. There some kind of beam that quickly destroys everything. Can't recall what it's called. The same or similar weapon was in Guerilla. Also came across a sniper rifle that can see through and shoot through walls/structures to take out enemies. I like it.

There's a mech in the game. Guerilla had more choices/types and they were fun to use. There's only one in this game that you get to use linearly. It's not particularly fun. It has a machine gun and can ram and swing it's arms. I recall in Guerilla that there were some mechs that all they did was swing their arms, and it was a great deal of fun to take them through buildings and through enemies, swinging and thrashing.
Milk, man.

MiIkMan
10 months ago#6
Wow, what an awful piece of s*** game. Absolute garbage. I really can't grasp how Volition went from the greatness of Guerilla to this tripe. All they had to do was take the basis of Guerilla and improve upon it. It was a successful reboot of an old franchise and it was fun of hell. Instead they turn it into a linear, cliche, enemy swarm clusterf*** snoozefest of mindless shooting of mindless enemies. They f***ed up.

The final level(s) drag on forever with nothing but filler. The typical dogs*** of going towards a simple objective only to have it falter which then leads to the typical run-arounds of bulls*** deviations. Need to go through that door but the power is out. I hate that s***.

Laval levels with generic big worm enemies with the mass swarming of as many enemies that can fit on screen, all jumping and twirling and flipping around... total nonsense. I took some screenshots where the screen in front of my face was a total raping of the eyes with so much going on it was just confusing and painful to look at.

Naturally in a final objective the game froze when I reached a checkpoint so I had to start again. Instead of wasting my time fighting all those enemies I just ran past them all. Can't do that throughout the game, tho, as a lot of "objectives" consists of "clear the area" of enemies.

Not to mention the total nonsensical love story element thrown into the game at the last moment to give our brave protagonist some much needed motivation to complete his mission. Nothing to do at that point but roll my eyes. Really bad story, dialogue and everything. Everything was so bad. Such a bad game. I am so tired from my last play session of the game just dragging on and on and on.

Focus on making a quality experience. I'd rather play a good 5 hour game than 8 hours of f***ing filler.

Took me 7.5 hours to complete. Waste of time. I wonder if I have a mental disorder that forces me to play s***ty games to completion. I wish I had the discipline to stop playing s***ty games and move on to something better.

This game sucks. Piece of s***. Trash. Do not recommend for any price. Avoid this dogs*** at all costs. This pile of s*** has all the cliches that I've grown so tired of and grown to hate about gaming. f*** you!
Milk, man.
  1. Boards
  2. Red Faction: Armageddon
  3. Milkman Playeth: Red Faction: Armageddon

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived