Just got Donkey Kong 94

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Just got Donkey Kong 94

User Info: teh1337gosu

teh1337gosu
6 years ago#1
What an amazing game, it feels 10 years ahead of its time.

Handstands, triple jumps, backflips, great physics, 100 stages.

It's so good I was thinking of buying it for my GBA SP to get some color, but the battery in the cart must be over 18 years old.

Is it possible a used game pack would still save data?
Yvan eht nioj

User Info: skawo93

skawo93
6 years ago#2
There is a chance, but it would either run out very soon, or the battery would have to been changed by someone already.
The second videogame crash is coming. Soon.
A game for all peeps: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4558852/Find_3_original_pictures.png

User Info: pansybadger

pansybadger
6 years ago#3
I changed some batteries in a couple of old GB games a couple of years ago, and followed this guide to do it:

http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15464

If you know what you're doing, is actually quite an easy process. If you do decide to buy an old game cart and the battery is out, I hope this helps.
Currently playing: Mother 3
Next in line: Xenoblade

User Info: Gavin_Rozee

Gavin_Rozee
6 years ago#4
It's a cool game. I still need to pick up Donkey Kong 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, so on and so forth though.
3DS Friend Code: 0387 8761 0757.

User Info: ElNurgling

ElNurgling
6 years ago#5
teh1337gosu posted...
It's so good I was thinking of buying it for my GBA SP to get some color, but the battery in the cart must be over 18 years old.

Is it possible a used game pack would still save data?

I am pretty sure that the Super GameBoy enhanced sounds and palettes don't work on the GBA, only on an actual Super Gameboy (ie the wonky big cartridge used to play a GB game on the SNES). If I am not mistaken you would get a colour palette on GBA, but it would just be a default 4-colour palette.

As far as battery life goes, my DK '94 cartridge battery died a few years ago. It's only my second cartridge with a dead battery out of a couple of hundred games (the first one was Yoshi's Island for SNES whose battery died after just a few years), so I am not sure if battery life is dependant on the game or just random bad luck. It's probably best to be prepared for the worst with a simple game that's almost two decades old. In the worst case scenario you could just leave your GBA/SNES running until you've beaten the game; DK '94 shouldn't take more than a few hours with some practice. Or just pray that VC will get actual Super GameBoy software for games like DK '94 and the DK Land trilogy. :-)

teh1337gosu
6 years ago#6
I have a copy of Wario Land 2 that saves perfectly.

I am pretty sure that the Super GameBoy enhanced sounds and palettes don't work on the GBA, only on an actual Super Gameboy (ie the wonky big cartridge used to play a GB game on the SNES). If I am not mistaken you would get a colour palette on GBA, but it would just be a default 4-colour palette.

As far as battery life goes, my DK '94 cartridge battery died a few years ago. It's only my second cartridge with a dead battery out of a couple of hundred games (the first one was Yoshi's Island for SNES whose battery died after just a few years), so I am not sure if battery life is dependant on the game or just random bad luck. It's probably best to be prepared for the worst with a simple game that's almost two decades old. In the worst case scenario you could just leave your GBA/SNES running until you've beaten the game; DK '94 shouldn't take more than a few hours with some practice. Or just pray that VC will get actual Super GameBoy software for games like DK '94 and the DK Land trilogy. :-)

I tried a copy of DK94 at a used game store, the game worked perfectly but the battery was dead. Hopefully there will be super game boy on the 3DS.
Yvan eht nioj

User Info: Marsford

Marsford
6 years ago#7
I didn't realize you needed MORE games to play TC.
"honestly if you don't like a system don't go to it's board right?" - Dark_type_Zero - A Sony fan.

teh1337gosu
6 years ago#8
Nothing like classic GB games to pass 10 minutes here and there..
Yvan eht nioj

User Info: TriforceMaster3

TriforceMaster3
6 years ago#9
Gavin_Rozee posted...
It's a cool game. I still need to pick up Donkey Kong 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, so on and so forth though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X_Ot0k4XJc

User Info: Marsford

Marsford
6 years ago#10
teh1337gosu posted...
Nothing like classic GB games to pass 10 minutes here and there..

Or classic.......DS games.
"honestly if you don't like a system don't go to it's board right?" - Dark_type_Zero - A Sony fan.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Just got Donkey Kong 94

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived