Which game?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: SShredder565

SShredder565
5 years ago#1
I'm looking to get an RPG soon but I'm stuck between two games: Tales of the Abyss 3D and Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia.

I've never played the PS2 version of Tales of the Abyss. Actually, I've never played a Tales game before. I did play Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow and loved it.

Tales of the Abyss looks to be the longer game, but so many mediocre reviews call it boring, dull, uninspired, etc. I don't know how true it is, but I worry when I read it multiple times. But then again I also don't want to waste money on a title as short as Castlevania unless it's really fun, replayable, etc. I think if its at least as long and fun as Dawn of Sorrow it would be fine.

So which of the two do you guys think is the better choice? I would also appreciate a mention of another RPG that you guys think is better than both of the above, although I already have a lot of the main DS RPGs such as DQIX, FFIII, FFIV, and Pokemon.

Thanks in advance!
3DS FC: 2191-7640-6810

User Info: psycho_slicer

psycho_slicer
5 years ago#2
Tales of the abyss

User Info: Biaz

Biaz
5 years ago#3
iirc Order of Ecclesia was better than Dawn of Sorrow. and since it's kinda old, maybe you can find it for cheap and get OoE and TotA?

however, if you really can get only one then I'd recommend TotA. you really don't have to know anything about the other games in the series to play it and it's lots of fun and can easily last you 60+ hours.
If you think you are good at something, there's an Asian on YouTube better than you.

User Info: SShredder565

SShredder565
5 years ago#4
This topic is three days old now but any more opinions? Thanks guys.
3DS FC: 2191-7640-6810

User Info: marioparty17

marioparty17
5 years ago#5
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked
Pokemon Black
Unchained Blade(coming out soon)

btw i added your FC
3DS FC 2535-3692-1887 PSN : MARIOPARTY17
He coverd from head to toe in weaponary, like a rainbow apocalypses - Viridi Goddess of Nature from KI:U

User Info: Ghetsis

Ghetsis
5 years ago#6
Order of Ecclesia is a lot better than TotA. I found Abyss to be one of the weakest games in the series.

Though other RPGs I'd suggest over both of those two games are Devil Survivor (Overclocked), Devil Survivor 2, and Rune Factory 3.
Ragnarok Online, Ymir server. Play it!
Lufia > Lufia III > Lufia II >>>>>>>>>>>>> other Lufia "games"

User Info: MrKunio

MrKunio
5 years ago#7
Dragon Quest IX
Official Mr. Bousouzoku 1986
3DS Fc: Mr. Kunio - 3437-4087-1475

User Info: toyota172

toyota172
5 years ago#8
Tales for sure.

If you do get it, don't give up on the story at the beginning, because it is a little slow to start. But in the end it is one of my favorite 3DS games
not changing untill sharks win the Stanley Cup-November 11, 2008

User Info: SMASHKING84

SMASHKING84
5 years ago#9
abyss(because it's a longer game and has a better plot,imo) first but get both eventually.
The Official Jester of The NDFi1098.photobucket.com/albums/g380/TravyCD/TrayCD%20Album%205 /TravyCD%20Album6/Smash4Roster.jpg

User Info: NettoSaito

NettoSaito
5 years ago#10
Tales of the Abyss for sure

It has..

1. A great story with a lot of twists

2. Great characters (HOWEVER you WILL hate the main character for the first 10 or so hours. The good news is that one major event teaches the little brat a lesson, and he actually becomes a very likeable character.)

3. Great real time combat, just like the rest of the Tales of series has.

4. The story is about 40-50 hours long; however with all of the side quests it can easily take you over 80 hours to beat the game with another 20-30 hours for the post game extras.

The only thing that you should really keep in mind is that there are a LOT of missibles so you WILL have to follow a side quest/sub event guide if you want to see the full game. While normally you can just skip side quests and not worry about them, that is NOT the case for Tales of games. Side quests in Tales of games are actually KEY to understand the story, and I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone who's "beaten" Abyss yet they had no idea about many of the key story points.

For example one side quest revolves around one of the character's parents, and if you didn't see the side events you would never KNOW they were the parent of that character, and you also wouldn't understand their motives. Basically... Most people who beat the game simply think they're just a normal character, when that is far from the truth.

So yeah... USE A SIDE QUEST GUIDE! There's at least 10 hours worth of extra cutscenes (including skits), and that's a lot of story to be missing out on.

The reason Abyss gets such low scores is because it does start out quite slow, and EVERY review I've seen for it have only covered the first 10 or so hours of the game, and for a tales of game... That isn't much. Tales of games are normally broken up into parts (or story arcs) with the opening arc always being the slow one that simply introduces you to the story. As I stated before as soon as the first arc ends something MAJOR happens which not only changes the main character, but also the world its self.

Yes the story starts out meh, you will hate the main character at first, and you will be a bit lost on what's going on, but as soon as part 2 starts up everything will be different. It's too bad that a lot of reviewers don't stick with the game to that point. *points to all the video reviews where Luke still has long hair*
3DS FC - [1203-9218-7780] | XBL - [NettoSaito] | PSN - [NettoSaito] Please PM me with your FC!
My Backloggery Game List - http://www.backloggery.com/NettoSaito

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived