How good are Johnny Kung Fu, Kirby's Pinball, Sword of Hope, and Candle Route?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. How good are Johnny Kung Fu, Kirby's Pinball, Sword of Hope, and Candle Route?

User Info: stargazer64

stargazer64
5 years ago#21
*has brain aneurysm burst, dies*
What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing.

User Info: Vyers

Vyers
5 years ago#22
DavCube posted...
Maxx_the_Slash posted...
Sword of Hope II takes a little bit of getting used to because it's a first person RPG. Those who have played NES games like Déjà Vu, and more specifically Shadowgate will know exactly what to expect.

Eeeegggh. That viewpoint, especially for older games like that, just bores me. I really prefer games where i have direct control over my character instead of inputting a command for every movement.

If you're inputting commands for every movement, you have direct control over your character.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Negative_Hippie
Blog: http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=6123776

User Info: danielmaynard

danielmaynard
5 years ago#23
GoldenSun3DS posted...
From the trailer, the 3D in JKF is absolutely horrible. If they can't do 3D right, don't do it at all! D:<

The 3D adds some depth to the game. You use the R shoulder button to jump between the foreground and background while fighting enemies in the colorized portions of the game.

User Info: danielmaynard

danielmaynard
5 years ago#24
Vyers posted...
DavCube posted...
Maxx_the_Slash posted...
Sword of Hope II takes a little bit of getting used to because it's a first person RPG. Those who have played NES games like Déjà Vu, and more specifically Shadowgate will know exactly what to expect.

Eeeegggh. That viewpoint, especially for older games like that, just bores me. I really prefer games where i have direct control over my character instead of inputting a command for every movement.

If you're inputting commands for every movement, you have direct control over your character.

I forgot about RPG's like this, it's been so long. I'm really enjoying it though, these types of games actually make you use your imagination I think that's what the turn-off is for some people.

User Info: GRNKRBY

GRNKRBY
5 years ago#25
No copy abilities in Pinball Land. It's got a lot of references to the old Kirby games though.

Personally, I think it's the best pinball game ever thanks to the unique stage designs. Nowadays, we get more of the Pokemon Pinball style games, with one singular stage and some possible boss stages (even the Kirby: MA minigame is guilty of this). Pinball Land has 3 stages, each with 3 tiers of tables, along with a single boss stage for each level.

I'll buy Pinball Land after Wario Land. Those are my two favorite GB games.

User Info: Maxx_the_Slash

Maxx_the_Slash
5 years ago#26
Vyers posted...

^ This.

You move a dot that acts as a cursor into the Move box, then press the directional pad to move the cursor over the arrow that points where you want to move select it with the A button. The only difference between this and a traditional RPG is you don't have to press anything to confirm the move other than the direction in a traditional RPG.

This isn't a problem considering you need to move and investigate the area for hidden items and event triggers all on one screen, and the investigation aspect is what gives Sword of Hope II the puzzle-solving element that traditional RPG's have. Without the setup that Sword of Hope II has, the game could be easily beaten in less than 3 hours, especially given that the areas you explore are relatively small.

You don't see games like Sword of Hope II anymore. Now when people think "first person RPG", they think Elder Scrolls and Fallout 3. This type of first person RPG is virtually extinct.
Opie & Anthony | Ron & Fez, XM 105/Sirius 206
XBL: Maxx the Slash | PSN: Maxx_the_Slash | 3DS: 3222-5637-7984

Vyers
5 years ago#27
Maxx_the_Slash posted...
Vyers posted...

^ This.

You move a dot that acts as a cursor into the Move box, then press the directional pad to move the cursor over the arrow that points where you want to move select it with the A button. The only difference between this and a traditional RPG is you don't have to press anything to confirm the move other than the direction in a traditional RPG.

This isn't a problem considering you need to move and investigate the area for hidden items and event triggers all on one screen, and the investigation aspect is what gives Sword of Hope II the puzzle-solving element that traditional RPG's have. Without the setup that Sword of Hope II has, the game could be easily beaten in less than 3 hours, especially given that the areas you explore are relatively small.

You don't see games like Sword of Hope II anymore. Now when people think "first person RPG", they think Elder Scrolls and Fallout 3. This type of first person RPG is virtually extinct.

Google "Legend of Grimrock"

User Info: Maxx_the_Slash

Maxx_the_Slash
5 years ago#28
Vyers posted...

Nice work NOT reading my post completely. Legend of Grimrock, which is almost exactly like The Elder Scrolls, plays completely differently from Sword of Hope. You have freedom of movement on those games. Compare footage between Grimrock and Sword of Hope II on YouTube, they're completely different styles of first person RPG, and the style used in Sword of Hope and it's sequel are long gone.

As a matter of fact, it it weren't for leveling systems and character creation, Legend of Grimrock and the game it ripped off, The Elder Scrolls, would be first person shooters with swords. Sword of Hope is turn-based.
Opie & Anthony | Ron & Fez, XM 105/Sirius 206
XBL: Maxx the Slash | PSN: Maxx_the_Slash | 3DS: 3222-5637-7984

Vyers
5 years ago#29
Maxx_the_Slash posted...
Vyers posted...

Nice work NOT reading my post completely. Legend of Grimrock, which is almost exactly like The Elder Scrolls, plays completely differently from Sword of Hope. You have freedom of movement on those games. Compare footage between Grimrock and Sword of Hope II on YouTube, they're completely different styles of first person RPG, and the style used in Sword of Hope and it's sequel are long gone.

As a matter of fact, it it weren't for leveling systems and character creation, Legend of Grimrock and the game it ripped off, The Elder Scrolls, would be first person shooters with swords. Sword of Hope is turn-based.

Haha okay.

So Grimrock ripped its expert mode - which requires players to map the dungeon themselves? Did you even play the game?
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. How good are Johnny Kung Fu, Kirby's Pinball, Sword of Hope, and Candle Route?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived