They should remake Lost Levels, and make it genuinely dififcult.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. They should remake Lost Levels, and make it genuinely dififcult.

User Info: 2wingedangel

2wingedangel
5 years ago#11
nonexistinghero posted...
lilpuddy31 posted...
Fake difficulty? Wtf is that?

No such thing. The TC and a few others seem to mention it a lot, but really, it doesn't exist. Basically, he considers all kinds of difficulty that isn't based on twitch-based skill, fake difficulty.

Name Ikaruga and say it's a difficult game, and he'll most likely say that it's fake difficulty, because you have to memorize enemy patterns and whatnot to beat it.

That couldn't be further from the truth. Fake difficulty comes in various forms, such as camera angles or, in Lost Level's case, crappy physics. If the physics were fixed in the original games, anyone could beat them.

Enemy patterns aren't fake difficulty, and neither are other aspects of games like bullet hell, impossible boss fights, and the infamous "Heartless Angel".
Lover of all things cute and pretty. <3

User Info: LOLGRIZZ

LOLGRIZZ
5 years ago#12
"Fake difficulty" is actually a legitimate term that refers, roughly, to difficulty that is outside of the player's control. As an extreme example, think of all the unforeseeable traps in I Wanna Be The Guy.

That said, the people using the term in this topic don't seem to know what they're talking about. Lost Levels has "crappy physics"? It uses the same engine as the original. For the most part, the difficulty is perfectly fair; those places where the difficulty is honestly fake- the warp zone to World 1, for example- are more humorous gags than anything.
West of the brick. ~*Rockets Fan*~
Houston offseason in a nutshell: http://i.imgur.com/dOxsA.png

User Info: Ilovepeasoup

Ilovepeasoup
5 years ago#13
Play it with your eyes closed.

Enjoy your genuine difficulty.
...and it just so happens that I hate pea soup.

User Info: deimos91

deimos91
5 years ago#14
Taaron posted...
lilpuddy31 posted...

Fake difficulty is a stupid term people use IMO. From what ive seen term also seems to change from person to person so I can't even give a proper definition for it. Seen it been used to define bad controls, randomized gameplay elements, having to replay XXX amount of minutes after dying, etc.

fake difficulty exists in very few forms camera issues causing death is the only real one i can agree on
Intel core 2 duo E4400 2 GHZ|Radeon 4650 512MB|2 GB DDR2 ram/steam:fartman91/3DSFC:3265-5740-7951

User Info: Playsaver

Playsaver
5 years ago#15
Ketorulz posted...
Nope, I say just re-release it on 3DS, having both the original and All Stars version, and...Super Mario Bros Deluxe, which includes this game.

That will make me more than happy enough.

Super Mario Bros Deluxe lost levels (on gameboy color) was nerfed. Luigi was supposed to jump a bit higher or farther then Mario could, but on that verison he didn't. (He does on the snes all stars one though. Probibly can on the Wii version too.)
I Want to Live on this Planet!
The Rest of you need to Go!

User Info: __Gaminator__

__Gaminator__
5 years ago#16
If the PURPOSE is to have the levels be completed by trial and error (like MOST old school Mario platformers, just not in this way) then the difficulty is not "fake", or whatever the hell you wanna call it. In real life, is a puzzle box not actually difficult because you have to randomly try pushing and pulling different parts? No. Shut up.
Bear in my oatmeal!

User Info: lockheart47

lockheart47
5 years ago#17
i thought fake difficulty was like in RPG going from normal to Hard just increasing the HP of bosses. Not really making it more difficult. just more tedious.

At least that was my thought on it.

User Info: NinjaKitsune

NinjaKitsune
5 years ago#18
lilpuddy31 posted...

Fake difficulty is a stupid term people use IMO. From what ive seen term also seems to change from person to person so I can't even give a proper definition for it. Seen it been used to define bad controls, randomized gameplay elements, having to replay XXX amount of minutes after dying, etc.

Here's a simple definition. If it leads to luck-based missions, trial-and-error gameplay, or guide-dangit moments, it's fake difficulty. Invisible blocks are a prime example of the second. And there is a very simple reason the above are fake difficulty. They take absolutely no skill. They just artificially inflate the death count/time it takes to beat the game.
Coffee warmer: Place cup on Pentium, compute Pi;
get hot coffee, wrong answer!

User Info: __Gaminator__

__Gaminator__
5 years ago#19
NinjaKitsune posted...
lilpuddy31 posted...

Here's a simple definition. If it leads to luck-based missions, trial-and-error gameplay, or guide-dangit moments, it's fake difficulty. Invisible blocks are a prime example of the second. And there is a very simple reason the above are fake difficulty. They take absolutely no skill. They just artificially inflate the death count/time it takes to beat the game.

It still takes skill to complete, and a common knowledge of platformers to guess where the invisible platformers might be. Trial and error is NOT always fake difficulty.
Bear in my oatmeal!

User Info: NinjaKitsune

NinjaKitsune
5 years ago#20
NinjaKitsune posted...

It still takes skill to complete, and a common knowledge of platformers to guess where the invisible platformers might be. Trial and error is NOT always fake difficulty.

You are attributing skill used for real difficulty (normal platforming) to the fake difficulty (bonking your head on an invisible block that has no business being there). As to your second point, the key word there is "guess". You're having to guess, because there's no way to know without looking it up. At that point it's a coin toss, and if you're wrong either way there's a good chance that's another death.
King of Hearts of the RI shuffle alliance
Current form: Trace, a self proclaimed mad scientist.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. They should remake Lost Levels, and make it genuinely dififcult.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived