Advice & Opinions Appreciated: Buying a 3DS
- Topic Archived
- Page 1 of 2
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
1. I’ll be going off to university in a year or two. Does your gaming life get affected very much by going to university? Is a $200 purchase worth it if I don’t play it very often in university? How did your gaming habits change when you got to university? I currently own a DS Lite and play it maybe once a week or two, however, this is also due to the fact that I haven’t bought any new games recently, and most of the new games are out on the 3DS. I’ve had this DS for about 6 years.
2. Thoughts on the future of the 3DS: Do you think it will have a good ‘run’? If I do buy it, I don’t think I will buy another one (meaning no future upgrades, other portable gaming systems etc) for (possibly) another five years or so. So I’m hoping that Nintendo sticks by the 3DS and software for the next few years and doesn’t come out with some new 3DS/Wii mixture for next year or the year after or something.
3. Thoughts on the 3DS in general: Do you like the system? Is it worth the money?
I had considered the PS Vita, but as the games I enjoy tend to be on Nintendo consoles, I ruled it out. I generally prefer RPGs (specifically JRPGs) and my favourite gaming series would be Pokémon and the Harvest Moon/Rune Factory games.
4. Price-wise: What is the lowest price you have seen the 3DS XL sell for (new)? (You could include bundles in this answer, if you want, e.g. a great value bundle going for the same price as a regular 3DS XL, but includes a 3DS XL and more). I do have DS games and a whole plethora of Gameboy Advance games (like 40 or something) that I could sell/trade in to a place like Best Buy or Game Stop if there was a deal. It doesn’t have to be a current deal, just one that you have seen and one that may come up again if I’m patient enough. I’m not in a rush to buy this, and I’d be willing to wait for a deal. That said, do you think there would be another price drop?
Answer all of them or just the ones you know the most about, all I’m looking for is some opinions to help me make up my mind. The most important answer to me would be the first question, but any you can answer would be great. Thank you!
1. It all depends on you, bud. You're gonna have plenty of free time, but it depends on how you want to spend it. After high school, I had less free time, and if I wanted to play games during that time, that's usually about the only thing I would then do during that free time. But it varies from person to person of course. I would say that if you're at least a 3.0 GPA student, you have your ducks in a row for time management.
TL;DR: You should be fine.
2. Yes, it'll have a good run. No worries.
3. I enjoy the system NOW, yes. At launch up until the first winter, the system was awful, but I'm rambling about nonessential information lol I do enjoy it, and I soley use it for gaming. None of that Internet browsing, video app, Swapnote garbage. Buy it for the games.
4. I believe GameStop carries the Blue 3DSXL with Mario Kart 7 pre installed on the system if that's your sort of thing for $200. Best deal out there anyway.
"I'd prolly AS if I went to a Pokemon board." - Foofyhead
Official Something or Other of That One Group
1. Being busy in general can hinder a hobby, I recommend picking games you can settle down in small sessions for now, or RPGs that have quick saving (Soul Hackers for example) so you can play about anything in small bites.
One perk of being at an University or big crowds is hoping you can perform streetpass, cause people have trouble with this feature and this could help you play the 3DS passively.
2. Handhelds have new models but successor won't come for another 4-5 years. 3DS has picked up and have no sign of failing at all either.
3. I love my 3DS. Its library feels balanced to my interests and well worth my money.
3DS's RPG rep has increased fast this year. You shouldn't have trouble finding games (unless you like importing)
4. XL's price seems to hit shy of 200 on Amazon. I don't think there will be a price drop (original model had one which explains the second wind), but I"m sure there will be frequent deals and maybe grab a new bundle.
Thanks a lot for the opinions!
1. I’ll be going off to university in a year or two.
I generally prefer RPGs (specifically JRPGs) and my favourite gaming series would be Pokémon
Seems a little out of your age group?
1 - Honestly man it's going to all depend on how much you party. When people don't have time it's generally because any time they spend not doing work or involved in activities they're partying. I first I thought you were outside the US since you were saying "university" instead of "college" but then you mentioned about Best Buy and Gamestop so...anyway...
Personally where I went to college I had TONS of free time because nobody really partied. In fact I would say when I was in college I had more free time than since I was probably 8 or 9 years old. So a lot is going to depend on your social life and how much you put into activities and clubs.
2 - 3DS is going strong and I'm sure it will continue to do so. Even if it dies soon for some reason there's already enough good games to last you quite a while plus you have access to all the DS games you may not have played as well.
3 - I love my 3DS. When both systems are "going strong" I love my 360 more, but the 3DS is amazing too. I'd place it far about the Wii and is probably my favorite Nintendo system in general since the N64.
4 - There's the promo where if you buy the XL and Luigi's Mansion (or one other game) that you get to choose from a list of free games so I'd just go ahead and buy the XL now because it's $180 currently at Target. Forget the bundles if you do it this way it's $180 plus a free game...you should get Luigi's Mansion anyway so just make that the game you buy with it. Personally I'd choose Mario 3D Land as your free game too, IMO it's the best Mario since Mario 64.
https://www.facebook.com/AbstractedRealism (pinup and boudoir)
https://www.facebook.com/KulhaPhotography (families, scenery, etc)
1. I’ll be going off to university in a year or two.I generally prefer RPGs (specifically JRPGs) and my favourite gaming series would be Pokémon
Pokemon is for all ages.
I found Yoshi's Story harder than The Lost Levels. Number of people who agree: Absolutely no one.
From: WiseWarrior101 | #009
Pokemon is for all ages.
So are Barney and Sesame Street.
Add user to Ignore List after reporting