Recommend me a DQ game for 3ds

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Recommend me a DQ game for 3ds

User Info: Hitoshura9999

Hitoshura9999
4 months ago#1
Which one has the best story/ gameplay?
PSN: dgaitan99 LVL 40 hunter

User Info: PolkaGnome

PolkaGnome
4 months ago#2
If you've never played a DQ title before, start with either VIII or the DS version of V. DQVIII is easily the most 'modernized' game in the series, and will be the easiest way to acclimate yourself to it if you're more familiar with modern JRPGs and gaming as a whole (most important characters are voiced, no random encounters, 'over-the-shoulder' overworld, etc.). On the other hand, if you're already familiar with old-school JRPGs, you may appreciate DQV more as it's more rooted in old-school mechanics (top-down overworld, random encounters, no voice acting). DQV also takes place over multiple generations and features the ability to recruit some of the monsters you encounter to fight alongside you.

Personally, between the two 3DS titles I prefer DQVII, but it has it's issues and is definitely not something I'd recommend to someone new to the series. It's a very slow paced game, and the plot is... I'm not really sure if this is the right term, but 'decentralized'. Basically, it's a series of vignettes where the Hero and friends are time traveling to various points in the past to restore various islands and continents to their rightful place in the world. Like I said, I prefer it to VIII myself, but a lot of people prefer the more traditional story structure of VIII.
"Never underestimate this place's ability to talk about stupid crap and it's willingness to do so." -Tildepon
MHGen: Wren - HR7 Bow main; learning HH

User Info: arrrdunla

arrrdunla
4 months ago#3
PolkaGnome posted...
If you've never played a DQ title before, start with either VIII or the DS version of V. DQVIII is easily the most 'modernized' game in the series, and will be the easiest way to acclimate yourself to it if you're more familiar with modern JRPGs and gaming as a whole (most important characters are voiced, no random encounters, 'over-the-shoulder' overworld, etc.). On the other hand, if you're already familiar with old-school JRPGs, you may appreciate DQV more as it's more rooted in old-school mechanics (top-down overworld, random encounters, no voice acting). DQV also takes place over multiple generations and features the ability to recruit some of the monsters you encounter to fight alongside you.

Personally, between the two 3DS titles I prefer DQVII, but it has it's issues and is definitely not something I'd recommend to someone new to the series. It's a very slow paced game, and the plot is... I'm not really sure if this is the right term, but 'decentralized'. Basically, it's a series of vignettes where the Hero and friends are time traveling to various points in the past to restore various islands and continents to their rightful place in the world. Like I said, I prefer it to VIII myself, but a lot of people prefer the more traditional story structure of VIII.

May I know what's special about DQV. People keep saying it's the best in the series.

User Info: Hitoshura9999

Hitoshura9999
4 months ago#4
PolkaGnome posted...

Gonna try v definitely
PSN: dgaitan99 LVL 40 hunter

User Info: nophoria

nophoria
4 months ago#5
5 and 7. People recommend 8 and it's good but not as good as those two. It's rather mundane by comparison imo. 7 was also built from the ground up for 3DS and it looks great, especially with 3D on while 8 lacks 3D functionality altogether.
https://youtu.be/54uniK5zUvU

User Info: PolkaGnome

PolkaGnome
4 months ago#6
@arrrdunla

To be perfectly honest, I haven't played a whole lot of it, and it was a fair number of years ago (and it was the fan-translated SFC version), so I really can't give it the summary it deserves. The reason I recommended it here is that the other choices for the more old-school titles playable on the 3DS would be IV, VI and IX, which all have some issues in terms of recommendations (not to mention the aforementioned VII).

I can't honestly recommend IV as I simply don't care for it. That's not to say I think it's a bad game mind you, I just find it's story structure overly tedious. Many other fans of the series would disagree, so it's obviously just a matter of personal taste.

On the other hand, VI is enjoyable and features the series' Vocation (class) system (which I'm a big fan of), but has a number of flaws of it's own and is simply one of the series' lesser titles overall (though still fun).

Finally, IX is one of my personal favorites, but is hard to recommend to a newcomer due to the fact that you create your entire party from scratch and so none of them have any pre-defined personalities (and all fall into the 'silent protagonist' trope). There's also the issue of the DS WiFi being shut down and all of the game's DLC being inaccessible without jumping through various hoops or using a cheat device/save editor. It's just a number of things that add up to being enough to make the game unplayable for some people. *Shrugs*
"Never underestimate this place's ability to talk about stupid crap and it's willingness to do so." -Tildepon
MHGen: Wren - HR7 Bow main; learning HH

User Info: Bald_Money

Bald_Money
4 months ago#7
arrrdunla posted...
May I know what's special about DQV. People keep saying it's the best in the series.

It has a really nice, heartfelt plot and some nice, clean gameplay. It also has more replay value than average.

It's not the most exciting game in the series but it's a ton of fun and very enjoyable to play.

User Info: ObZen46

ObZen46
4 months ago#8
VII & VIII are both really good as is V (DS) if you can find it.
VIII is probably the best starting point if you're new to the series.
PSN: rob302
Switch: SW-6156-5316-3129

User Info: Salocool

Salocool
4 months ago#9
4 has the best pacing in the franchise by a wide margin, while 5 is nearly up there (it reuses way too much mechanics, items and enemy/boss patterns to be much fun. It's a been-there-done-that kind of rushed title. Still good tho, outside of the awful "get-an-ally-monster-randomly-and-guess-if-it'll-get-good-or-stay-terrible. Best story of the franchise, but it still sucks balls since it's obviously directed towards 10-12 years old, not even edgy teenagers. )

6 started the downward spiral of terrible design decisions that are still plaguing the franchise to this day with its nonsensical, dragged out ad-nauseam story and grind-to-death customization system. Dunno if DQ XI is any good tho, but that'd be surprising given how unpolished VII, VIII and IX were.
And the Lord [...] drive out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.

User Info: Darkastral

Darkastral
4 months ago#10
Start with the NES version of II and make yourself a stronger person
Not changing this signature until a new Breath of Fire game is announced
Started 2/8/12
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Recommend me a DQ game for 3ds

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived