Possible to consolidate games across two SD cards?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Possible to consolidate games across two SD cards?

User Info: jollibean

jollibean
2 months ago#1
Hi, I haven't been able to find clear answers on this but if I am in the wrong place to ask please let me know.

I have two SD cards, a 4gb and a 32gb . There is a game on the 4gb that I would like to transfer over to the larger SD card but I am not sure how or if I can do this without accidentally wiping out all of my progress on the games. Pokemon Alpha Sapphire is on the 4gb, and Animal Crossing is on the 32gb, neither of which I can perform a save-data backup on through my Nintendo Network ID. When I plugged both SD cards into my computer, the folders were labeled identically. If someone could help me resolve this I would be grateful!

User Info: nobdy1

nobdy1
2 months ago#2
http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/309

Did you try that?

User Info: yab

yab
2 months ago#3
nobdy1 posted...
http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/309

Did you try that?

that doesn't work, that's only copying the entire contents of one card.
Merging the contents of two cards is trickier since there's no official way to do it.

User Info: TinyTim123

TinyTim123
2 months ago#4
There's a way, but it's a serious pain in the ass.

You will need to download everything from the small card onto your larger card (in this case, Animal Crossing New Leaf). Open those games (unwrap the present icon), but DO NOT run the game.
Copy the contents of your small SD card to a computer. After having done that, connect your larger card to your computer.
Go into the folder Nintendo 3DS. From there, go into the folder that is a long alphanumerical string of characters. Go into the next long alphanumeric folder. From there, go into the "title" folder.
There will be many more folders, each with names of 8 characters. Mine all start with "000400".
Inside each of those folders are going to be more 8 character folders.
Basically, match those up with the same named folders on the smaller SD card backup. The games you have saves for will have (at least) two folders inside the 8 character folders: one titled "content", and the other titled "data".
You will want to copy the "data" folders into the same named folder on your larger SD card.

It's a long process and is a pain in the butt, but it ensures all of your save data will be on one SD card.

If you try it, good luck. It works but... it sucks and is tedious to do it.
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/
En un mundo perfecto, eso definitivamente importaria.

User Info: Lum_Yatsura

Lum_Yatsura
2 months ago#5
Essentially, to my understanding, 3DS is designed with the intent that users dedicate one SD card per one 3DS. Anything else may cause issues.
3ds fc: 5026 4515 5016
We'll ion buzz to the blue stars over there!?

User Info: bungiefan

bungiefan
2 months ago#6
Lum_Yatsura posted...
Essentially, to my understanding, 3DS is designed with the intent that users dedicate one SD card per one 3DS. Anything else may cause issues.

Essentially yes, and the 300-installed-title-limit is in NAND, not SD, so that limit is across all cards. Better to just use a 64 GB or 128 GB card instead of getting multiple ones.

The Nintendo 3DS folder is what contains all of your games and saves, encrypted with a key unique to the system, that changes when you reformat the console, not the SD card. Each game has a Title ID that is alphanumeric, and a total of something like 16 digits. The first half is always the same based on content type and region. The second half is unique.

You could move a game between SD cards if you could look up the Title ID and find it in the folder on the other SD card, but it isn't made to be human-readable. Also, some data checks against other data on the SD card, so if you modify the contents of the card using a PC instead of the 3DS itself, you can make some games think you were trying to cheat and invalidate their saves, when they see data has been changed by something other than the 3DS. That's to prevent you from restoring earlier save file versions, say from trading away good Pokemon.
http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/wrines88

User Info: jollibean

jollibean
2 months ago#7
Thank you for the responses from everyone! I was going to try the "pain in the ass" method that TinyTim123 suggested, but I really worried about screwing something up so instead I purchased Pokemon Bank, moved all my pokees over there, and am currently trying to re-download Alpha Sapphire onto the larger SD card.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Possible to consolidate games across two SD cards?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived