Are there any good RPGs that don,t require a faq?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Are there any good RPGs that don,t require a faq?

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
1 month ago#11
I don't even understand what's being asked. What determines whether or not an RPG "requires a FAQ?" How many missables it has? How big of an impact those missables have on the story? Or does the TC actually think it's a universal experience that certain games can't be beaten without an FAQ?

I've played hundreds of RPGs but I think I've only ever played two where I straight-up would not have been able to complete the game without an FAQ. Interestingly, one was on this very system. Rune Factory 4 has a mechanism where on certain days it will randomly decide for something to happen and one of those things is that it could move you on to the final leg of the story. Because it's random when it happens, it could happen immediately after you finish the preceding event or it could only happen multiple in-game years later. Someone who likes their in-game days to be "perfect" (as in, every minute is used towards something productive) could potentially spend hundreds of hours not moving the story forward at all because the game hasn't randomly decided to trigger the requisite event yet. This is my biggest problem with what's otherwise an outstanding game.

Final Fantasy Adventure also has a weird moment which I think owes to a bad translation where you're told "The secret is palm trees and 8" and you have to go find two palm trees in the desert and walk around them in a figure-8 pattern to discover a secret cave entrance. Granted I first played this game as a kid but I don't know if I ever would have finished it without a friend telling me the trick because the clue was so vague.

I've played hundreds of RPGs and I can't think of any other occasion where I couldn't proceed without an FAQ. I've gotten briefly stuck here and there, again sometimes due to translation/text issues (Breath of Fire 3 giving contradictory directions in the desert being an example) but never for long. If you can't figure out where to go next, just stop and think about where you've already been or the direction you've been headed in and you'll usually find the answer. Most games don't take much.

So. Choose any RPG. Whether or not it's good is largely up to you; personally I think most RPGs on the 3DS aren't very good. But with the possible exception of Rune Factory 4 (which you should try anyway if you haven't), every one of those games can be finished without an FAQ.

User Info: bungiefan

bungiefan
1 month ago#12
Karnage4208238 posted...
Rygon posted...
All of them.

this pretty much i can not think of any rpg i have ever played that required a faq

Final Fantasy XI is designed to require external research into guides and wikis, or asking other players to do so for you.

I can't think of any offline RPG that required one to beat the game, but sidequests usually do require such a thing, like that one in FF9 that was in the Japanese Ultimania Guide, which nobody translated for about 10 years.
http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/wrines88

User Info: Rygon

Rygon
1 month ago#13
ElDudorino posted...
Final Fantasy Adventure also has a weird moment which I think owes to a bad translation where you're told "The secret is palm trees and 8"

When I read the title my first thought was "palm tree" but I was actually thinking of Final Fantasy Legend. In the second world there are all these palm trees and you have to walk in to the right one to find a certain area and I never got past that at release.
http://backloggery.com/war_lion108

User Info: Rygon

Rygon
1 month ago#14
Would OP describe the games that gave him this feeling of requiring an FAQ?
http://backloggery.com/war_lion108

User Info: Freelance_Wolf

Freelance_Wolf
1 month ago#15
No game requires a FAQ unless you're some sort of completionist.(sp?)
Questionmarktarius 1 month ago#16
Freelance_Wolf posted...
No game requires a FAQ unless you're some sort of completionist.(sp?)

There's some point&click games that get pretty damn close.

User Info: bungiefan

bungiefan
1 month ago#17
ElDudorino posted...
Final Fantasy Adventure also has a weird moment which I think owes to a bad translation where you're told "The secret is palm trees and 8" and you have to go find two palm trees in the desert and walk around them in a figure-8 pattern to discover a secret cave entrance. Granted I first played this game as a kid but I don't know if I ever would have finished it without a friend telling me the trick because the clue was so vague.

I actually had to get that answer via postal mail from Nintendo Power Game Counselors back before I had internet access, for that very puzzle. That was like a 2-3 week wait. I haven't reached that point in the GBA remake yet to know if they changed it.
http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/wrines88

User Info: irulethegalaxy

irulethegalaxy
1 month ago#18
Rygon posted...
All of them.
Friend Code: 5155-2976-5976

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
1 month ago#19
Rygon posted...
ElDudorino posted...
Final Fantasy Adventure also has a weird moment which I think owes to a bad translation where you're told "The secret is palm trees and 8"

When I read the title my first thought was "palm tree" but I was actually thinking of Final Fantasy Legend. In the second world there are all these palm trees and you have to walk in to the right one to find a certain area and I never got past that at release.

Hmm, are you talking about where you get the airseed? That whole 'world' is really weird. You've got to find "an island sailing like a ship," then there's the airseed tree, then you have to "look for where the two lines cross" to find the right orb and finally there's that 'puzzle' where you add up various shop item prices. I can totally see somebody getting stuck on the first few steps. But it was really only that world, then for like the entire rest of the game it's pretty much smooth sailing. Not sure why they set things up that way.

bungiefan posted...
I actually had to get that answer via postal mail from Nintendo Power Game Counselors back before I had internet access, for that very puzzle. That was like a 2-3 week wait. I haven't reached that point in the GBA remake yet to know if they changed it.

Yeah man, those were dark days. I never asked, but I bet my friend who told me about the palm trees did the exact same thing you did. Games always either had someplace to mail for help, or they'd have like a $3/minute hotline to call. Or they even had those booklets or magazines you could buy with tips for various games, and they would list the games on the cover so you'd buy them. Nowadays we have the luxury of having to worry about whether or not we might have to type five words into our web browser if we're stuck.

User Info: Finn-X

Finn-X
1 month ago#20
Rygon posted...
Would OP describe the games that gave him this feeling of requiring an FAQ?

If you want to get every chest/do every sidequest in a game then you'll want a guide.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Are there any good RPGs that don,t require a faq?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived