Why the f*** is it so hard to find a copy of HGSS at a reasonable price?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Why the f*** is it so hard to find a copy of HGSS at a reasonable price?

User Info: SeamusOHassey

SeamusOHassey
3 months ago#1
$200+ for the game brand new on eBay is f***ing ridiculous. Why haven't they been reprinted yet like Platinum and Black 2 were?
You're not funny and nobody likes you.
My future wife -https://fat.gfycat.com/QuickThickJunco.gif

User Info: Cocco

Cocco
3 months ago#2
It's hard, but you can find one at a good price. I got mine with box and pokewalker for 40euros. Wait patiently and the occasion will come. Also, a lot of bootlegs of that one so be careful. On ebay prices are often higher than should be,so try with local/national sites selling used stuff.

User Info: Blue Bomber 99

Blue Bomber 99
3 months ago#3
You know it really just blows my mind, and is a testimony to the "Nintendo Tax" and "Pokemon Tax" placed on these items. It's not even a rare game, they're are mother crap load of copies in circulation. 12.5 million copies sold worldwide, there's definitely no scarcity for them. I just think of every time I go to any Gamestop and there's a good 5 copies of each version available for purchase. At some point someone just decided they were going to put a big price tag on these games and it just seemed to have artificially stuck.

Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/ds.html

SeamusOHassey
3 months ago#4
It's ridiculous. I've seen many copies at LameStop, but they are at ridiculous prices.

Cocco posted...
try with local/national sites selling used stuff.

What are some sites that I could try?

User Info: Hirokey123

Hirokey123
3 months ago#5
"Nintendo tax" is like an absurd myth, what you have here is just supply and demand. Nintendo first party titles especially things like pokemon tend to retain their value. Being a high quality product that ages well and is extremely enjoyable/polished is the primary reason for that. As a result people are willing to buy and sell at prices that are fairly close to if it was brand new. This is largely a boon it means you can sell the games yourself at a later date and make a good chunk of your money back, saving you a lot of money in the long run. Even just making half back of say a 60 buck game means you really only spent 30 bucks to play that game. Games or any product that holds its value and can be resold for only a bit less or at time even higher will understandably have prices that hold steady.

Of course just like any product with supply and demand there will always come in those who abuse the system and charge outrageous prices to take advantage of the high demand. Gamestop in particular is notorious for abuse of the system. They know people will buy at a high price and so they refuse to lower their prices, but to make matters worse they only buy games from people at the tiniest acceptable fraction of its original value to try and maximize profits. They absolutely want to acquire as many used copies of a game then sell those copies as quick as possible because used games they get full profit on, new games they lose a portion of the money to the developers.
I've got a quote that embodies you perfectly, but it's seventy-three posts long, has a few massive flowcharts, and lots of Xion-KMA to Me

User Info: cookiegangster

cookiegangster
3 months ago#6
Hirokey123 posted...
"Nintendo tax" is like an absurd myth

Except not really

User Info: Cocco

Cocco
3 months ago#7
SeamusOHassey posted...
It's ridiculous. I've seen many copies at LameStop, but they are at ridiculous prices.

Cocco posted...
try with local/national sites selling used stuff.

What are some sites that I could try?

I'm in Italy so I really don't know what may be a good site wherever you are.

User Info: yab

yab
3 months ago#8
Nintendo seems to not want to reprint their games that much so they can push people toward digital which they make more profit from.

SeamusOHassey
3 months ago#9
yab posted...
Nintendo seems to not want to reprint their games that much so they can push people toward digital which they make more profit from.

DS games aren't sold digitally.

Cocco posted...
I'm in Italy so I really don't know what may be a good site wherever you are.

I'm in the good old United States of America.

User Info: yab

yab
3 months ago#10
Oh yeah, forgot which Pokemon was what.. well, I can't see them reprinting it then.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Why the f*** is it so hard to find a copy of HGSS at a reasonable price?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived