Are DS carts air-tight?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Are DS carts air-tight?

User Info: Erukia

Erukia
2 months ago#1
Long story short, I had an unfortunate incident a few months ago where I (like an idiot) spilled coffee on my N3DS. The N3DS ended up being fine after a trip to Nintendo, but coffee got in the card slot and my original copy of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Sky was soaked.

I cleaned it at the time, and let it air dry for weeks, but coffee is very corrosive and I'm worried that it got on the inside. This wouldn't be such an issue if not for the fact that PMD: Sky is almost impossible to find new, and my other, used copy doesn't want to be read by my N3DS, apparently.

My original copy appears to have retained my save data from back then. I'm in the mood to wipe it and start fresh, but I'm concerned I damaged the cart with the coffee, leading to future problems. If the chip was going to be damaged, would I know by now?
"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
New Leaf Dream Address: 5D00 - 0075 - B871

User Info: DASHWOOD

DASHWOOD
2 months ago#2
Erukia posted...
Long story short, I had an unfortunate incident a few months ago where I (like an idiot) spilled coffee on my N3DS. The N3DS ended up being fine after a trip to Nintendo, but coffee got in the card slot and my original copy of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Sky was soaked.

I cleaned it at the time, and let it air dry for weeks, but coffee is very corrosive and I'm worried that it got on the inside. This wouldn't be such an issue if not for the fact that PMD: Sky is almost impossible to find new, and my other, used copy doesn't want to be read by my N3DS, apparently.

My original copy appears to have retained my save data from back then. I'm in the mood to wipe it and start fresh, but I'm concerned I damaged the cart with the coffee, leading to future problems. If the chip was going to be damaged, would I know by now?

My family had Pokémon sapphire and Pokémon ruby (GBA PAL) in the washer and the dry tumbler, the only thing that has been damaged was the internal clock (the sea levels of the "ice cave" were locked from start). My brother in law had a few DS games in the washer and they still work, but they can have a little damage of the file.
You only know this for sure if you can play the game and it gives any to no error.
Take every chance you want to make and fulfill it till the end ~DASHWOOD
15/09/2017 Metroid SR Legacy edition confirmed for me! MSR Amiibo's pre-ordered.

Erukia
2 months ago#3
Blah. I'm envisioning myself being 30~ hours in and having my save get wiped. Curse my eternal clumsiness. =_=

User Info: Gardens

Gardens
2 months ago#4
Thirty hours isn't really long for Sky though, is it? It took me 80-something hours before I even got to the Special Episodes (I saved doing them all til the climax.) And once completing those and progressing through the Shaymin story, I was pushing 140 hours.

Erukia
2 months ago#5
Lol, I've played so many times, it doesn't take me long to reach post-game. Which is what I'm feeling like focusing on, hence the concern.

User Info: bungiefan

bungiefan
2 months ago#6
The carts are not air or water tight, and the contacts are external where they can be corroded
http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/wrines88

Erukia
2 months ago#7
Ah, okay. Well, the contacts are fine...they look like all the rest of my carts, and my N3DS has no problem reading it. What about the chip on the inside, should that be okay as well? I don't know how much coffee would have gotten in there, but probably at least some. I don't trust myself to open it up and try cleaning it, lol.

User Info: ecylis

ecylis
2 months ago#8
My Kirby Superstar went through the washer and dryer once and the sticker just peeled off, my 100% save file was completely fine and it still played perfectly
http://i.imgur.com/UgOcJQG.jpg

User Info: EverLastingFate

EverLastingFate
2 months ago#9
Erukia posted...

Airtight will always be watertight, but watertight isn't always airtight. So it's not really an issue of the cart being airtight so much as watertight. Water molecules are larger than any gas molecules that make up air.
Never Do Yesterday What Should Be Done Tomorrow.
If at Last You Do Succeed, Never Try Again.

Erukia
2 months ago#10
I'm just going to keep playing for now and hope nothing happens. Been wanting to get a good playthrough in on this game again for a while. And I don't feel like shelling out $150 for a new copy, lol.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Are DS carts air-tight?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived