3DS SD card to New 2DS XL SD card transfering questions

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. 3DS SD card to New 2DS XL SD card transfering questions

User Info: RDS9111

RDS9111
3 months ago#1
So I currently have the original 3DS and I'm thinking about geting a New 2DS XL. If I want to transfer all my data from the one 3DS to the New 2DS, will I be able to do it wirelessly without loseing anything or will I need to use a computer?

User Info: rainfall789

rainfall789
3 months ago#2
Yes, you can do it wirelessly. There is an option to transfer everything or just game data and download games separately. I just did this recently. Just had to get a bigger micro SD card for the New 2DS.

User Info: ThatSageGuy

ThatSageGuy
3 months ago#3
You can do it wirelessly, but it could take a very long time, possibly overnight.
Wow I cant believe that people dont even care about what I think and ignorin me, this is just really sad.-The_Orignal
Uh welcome to the real world?-psprulz2007

RDS9111
3 months ago#4
Thank you! So If I just transfer game data and not everything at once will it keep all my progress and everything? I still have the original 2 GB memory card on my 3DS, so could it be quicker since it's going to a 4 GB card?

User Info: bungiefan

bungiefan
3 months ago#5
Game data is the bulk of what needs to be transferred, and is mostly what is on the SD card to transfer. If you want it to transfer without a computer, you have no choice but to transfer everything at once.

There is a faster transfer option that requires a computer if your 3DS isn't using a micro-SD card already. You can do a PC Transfer that just transfers the data stored in NAND memory on the motherboards, which is console settings, system encryption key, and tickets for installed titles (they grant permission to decrypt the data on the SD card). Then you just move the SD card from the source system to the target system, or you use a computer to copy the Nintendo 3DS folder from the source SD card to the target SD card (this folder is encrypted, so the key and tickets need to transfer for the console to read them).

SD card access on all 3DS models is limited to about 2 megabytes per second because of the mandatory encryption, so it takes a really long time to transfer the data if you have many gigabytes of installed games. Plugging the cards into your PC is much faster, usually at least 10x as fast.
http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/wrines88

User Info: rainfall789

rainfall789
3 months ago#6
I had a 16GB card that was mostly full, and upgraded to a 32GB micro-SD. If you're just going to transfer from a 2 to a 4, you could choose the option to do a full transfer. There are two wireless choices though. A partial transfer just transfers over your saves and data. I did that and just redownloaded the games I wanted to play from the eShop. It took about an hour I guess, although I did get a few error messages before the transfer started working.

RDS9111
3 months ago#7
Ok thanks everyone. I think it would probably be best to transfer everything and wait like an hour
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. 3DS SD card to New 2DS XL SD card transfering questions

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived