Etrian Odyssey IV

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Etrian Odyssey IV

User Info: ObZen46

ObZen46
3 months ago#1
I'm looking for a new (to me) series/game to get into.
Narrowed it down to Fire Emblem, Fantasy Life & Etrian Odyssey.
They all look appealing to me but am leaning towards Etrian O (love old school & hardcore/higher difficulty games)
Anyway is IV an ok place to start or Better to start with an earlier entry?
PSN: rob302
Switch: SW-6156-5316-3129

User Info: irulethegalaxy

irulethegalaxy
3 months ago#2
I generally think that it's best to start playing a series at the beginning (or as close to it as possible), simply because there are usually huge improvements along the way. Going backwards can be pretty annoying if you're used to the latest installment of the games.

EX: Dragon Quest, Rune Factory, FF....
Friend Code: 5155-2976-5976

User Info: SymphonicGlory

SymphonicGlory
3 months ago#3
Yeah EOIV is a pretty great place to start for the series. It was my first one and I absolutely love it.
FC: 5112-4220-0277

User Info: Solibrae

Solibrae
3 months ago#4
I started with EOIV and quite enjoyed it, and have since played the first 2 Untold games as well which are also great (Although I have yet to complete all the post-Credits content in EO2U so I can't comment on the whole experience there). They're perfect if you want your RPGs with some gameplay depth and difficulty and a dash of some interesting characters, World and story.

I'd like to play EOIII one day but I'm still hoping there'll be an Untold remake of that too. Perhaps if it does exist we'll know sometime after EOV releases Internationally.
Hoping for Mega Man X9 and/or a third Mega Man ZX to be announced in 2017. Come on Capcom, finish those cliffhangers!

User Info: Meta289

Meta289
3 months ago#5
EOIV is a good place to start, but it's also pretty different from the rest of the series. If you don't mind waiting a couple more months, EOV is coming out in October.
http://i.imgur.com/kh8FImW.png - WHATEVER
If the internet isn't a hivemind, then it sure as hell is a bandwagon.

User Info: Xashowd

Xashowd
3 months ago#6
IV is a great place for someone new to start the series with. Something of note is that all 3 titles have Demos on the eShop that you can start with and, if you like the game enough to buy the full version, carry over your save data. It's more valuable in IV than in EOU or EO2U's Demos as the latter two lock you into Story Mode, while in IV you get the full classic EO experience of party crafting which is a better way to start IMO. U and 2U are also remakes of older titles, with the Story Mode being a new option with a preset party while also having Classic Mode where you get to make your party and experience the game as series vets have, which is why I reccomend the Demo for IV first. Try them out and hopefully you'll enjoy them! And if you do, EOV is on the way in October, and I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Also, Fantasy Life is another great choice. No Demo for it, but it's filled with plenty of charm, content, and fun gameplay. The $10 DLC is a full expansion pack that adds stuff across the whole game (and also divides the Multiplayer aspect between those who do have the DLC and those who don't only able to play with those in the same group, likely for coding/balance reasons), so it's a good idea to pick it up before starting for some added character creation options IMO. If you enjoy titles like Animal Crossing or Rune Factory, Fantasy Life is a great companion.
I am Xashowd, the Nocturne Zephyr! MHGen IGN: Laguna.
3DS FC: 3695-0746-1582. Xashowd. PM me if you add me.

User Info: rainfall789

rainfall789
3 months ago#7
EOIV is probably the best one to start with since it's the most recent main series game until EOV releases. It's also my favorite and I've basically played them all.

User Info: TheZuperHero

TheZuperHero
3 months ago#8
EOIV is my favorite of the series so far (haven't finished Untold 1 or started 2 yet) so I say go for it. The sequels tend to be pretty iterative so I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to go back, especially with V right around the corner.
Now Playing: Dragon Quest VI (DS), Darksiders: Warmastered (Wii U), Etrian Odyssey Untold, Splatoon 2
3DS FC: 4167-4549-4028 NNID: TotalJakeout

User Info: Etria

Etria
3 months ago#9
Yeah, definitely a good starting point there. IV is often cited as the easiest game, but it's still more challenging than the average RPG. Thus, it is a great place to start for beginners.

The Untold entries also have various quality of life improvements that make it a little harder to go backwards. They do have Story Modes which feature a set cast of characters if you find the small amount of dialogue in IV to be a problem.

All 3DS games have a demo which lets you continue the save file after purchasing.

III is the oldest entry worth returning to, if you want to experience the DS engine. It will feel kinda slow now tbh, so it takes getting used to. As said it's next in line for an Untold remake, so IV is still the safest bet for entry.

User Info: OdaNobuna

OdaNobuna
3 months ago#10
IV is good to start because it's the easiest. I started with Untold, got ROFL stomped till the end, and never died playing IV.
Playing: Sonic Mania; Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight; The Legend of Zelda: BotW; Kancolle; WoW: Legion.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Etrian Odyssey IV

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived