So what is going to succeed the 3ds??

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. So what is going to succeed the 3ds??

User Info: IrateGameFAQer

IrateGameFAQer
2 months ago#101
JerickoX posted...
I don't think it's going to be the Switch. That wouldn't make sense from a marketing standpoint, since handhelds have been more profitable for Nintendo than consoles. However, I do see the handheld model changing to match the novelty of the Switch, with NXh being some kind of console mini-tablet hybrid, with or without stereoscopic 3D.

Second, even if Nintendo discontinues the DS model, thus remitting 3DS support, their next device should capitalize on technology that integrates gameplay with nature, i.e. Augment Reality (AR). Think about it: Pokemon Go ^10, Zelda, Mario, and Starfox, all interacting some way with the natural world. The tech wasn't there seven years ago to use effectively, but today its affordable, and well within the scope for Nintendo's ideal target price (most likely $300).

Who needs 3D when your room, or place of interest, becomes the backdrop for the game? Imagine an AR version of ALBW where Link meshes into the walls of the environment, and each wall is layered with the texture of the intended in-game texture: a set of bricks, hardrock, or marble.

Skies the limit.

That being said, the 3DS is selling well enough to warrant it's continued support. That's fine, as I have no interest in buying another console soon. Nonetheless, color me disappointed if the next 3DS is just the Switch. I expect Nintendo to keep gamers interested by giving us options, and keeping us invested through surprise.

so you won't pay 300 for a traditional handheld, but think AR is the next step? LOL. Yeah, no.
"at least be grateful Nintendo isn't charging you right now." -Unknown
Lesson to be learned: Be grateful for mediocrity.

User Info: JerickoX

JerickoX
2 months ago#102
Great argument. I'm totally convinced.
If you browse Facebook or play video games, then you have time to learn, fuel your passion, and make it real. Be ruthless with yourself. - T. Sykes, 2017.

IrateGameFAQer
2 months ago#103
Yeah, like AR would take off. It'd be like the 3DS all over again, they'd probably release an AR less version like the 2DS...and defeat the whole purpose. Or games wouldn't utilize it meaningfully.

AR isn't the next step, just like 3D was and always will be a gimmick.

JerickoX
2 months ago#104
https://youtu.be/ihKUoZxNClA

MS seems to think otherwise. To me, that looks next gen.
If you browse Facebook or play video games, then you have time to learn, fuel your passion, and make it real. Be ruthless with yourself. - T. Sykes, 2017.

IrateGameFAQer
2 months ago#105
They also thought kinect was a good idea...and look where that's at now.

JerickoX
2 months ago#106
IrateGameFAQer posted...
They also thought kinect was a good idea...and look where that's at now.

Kinect was an eyetoy with more sensor points, and was garbage from the get go. AR on the other hand can either act as the core of the experience, as it does with Hololense, or it can supplement the experience, as 3D did with 3DS games.

Stop being so quick to judge ideas because you're used to something familiar. This time 14 years ago, people said that Dual Screens were a gimmick, that the DS would kill Nintendo's handheld marketshare, and that the PSP would wipe the floor.

Funny, isn't it?

IrateGameFAQer
2 months ago#107
and stop making excuses.

lol @ 3d supplementing the 3ds experience.

And those people 14 years ago are the same morons who scream Nintendoomed every single console or handheld cycle today. They aren't a good gauge of anything nor help your argument. dual screens ARE a gimmick. so is 3d. So are motion controls.

the only funny thing is you.

JerickoX
2 months ago#108
If you believe that, then you're a troll and should not be posting on the 3DS board, or Nintendo Boards.

Everything is a gimmick, tbh. VR is a gimmick, vibration is a gimmick, True 4k Xboxes are a gimmick... so what? Gimmicks clearly sell, and audiences are easily impressed. In the long run however, it's up to developers to use those gimmicks to create memorable experiences that keep us satisfied. Otherwise, no one will care.

I believe AR is a logical next step. Nintendo even toyed with it on the 3DS. Do you have a better idea? Or are you just a clown? *beep beep, Ritchie*

IrateGameFAQer
2 months ago#109
So I'm a troll because I don't align with your ideas? The f*** are you smoking? Why shouldn't I post? I have 2 switches, 7 DS related systems, and over 50+ games between digital and physical. I clearly don't hate nintendo. You seem butthurt that the switch will most likely be the successor for some odd reason.

no s*** they're gimmicks, where did I ever dispute that? You seemed to think that I said gimmicks = bad. No. But you seemed to tout it as something else.

the better idea has already been presented to us w/ the switch. How isn't that the next logical step? The ability to play off and on TV is a gimmick too, and probably the most useful one.

JerickoX
2 months ago#110
IrateGameFAQer posted...
So I'm a troll because I don't align with your ideas? The f*** are you smoking? Why shouldn't I post? I have 2 switches, 7 DS related systems, and over 50+ games between digital and physical. I clearly don't hate nintendo. You seem butthurt that the switch will most likely be the successor for some odd reason.

no s*** they're gimmicks, where did I ever dispute that? You seemed to think that I said gimmicks = bad. No. But you seemed to tout it as something else.

the better idea has already been presented to us w/ the switch. How isn't that the next logical step? The ability to play off and on TV is a gimmick too, and probably the most useful one.

It just seems lazy to me, and a missed opportunity. Part of the beauty of the past 4 generations of Nintendo hardware, was some kind of cross relationship between Nitnedo' s console, and handheld market.

To isolate everything to one system suggests that Nintendo is completely doing away with that predictability, and it doesn't make sense.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. So what is going to succeed the 3ds??

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived