So what is going to succeed the 3ds??

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. So what is going to succeed the 3ds??

User Info: IrateGameFAQer

IrateGameFAQer
4 weeks ago#61
Gargomon251 posted...
Lelouch71 posted...
The system was design to be a hybrid and use to combine both their console and handheld market together.

Despite the fact that switch:

1. Is very hard to fit in a pocket
2. Only has one screen (and doesn't fold up to protect it)
3. Does not have 3d
4. Barely uses the touchscreen (especially since you can't while it's docked anyway)
5. Does not play DS or 3DS games whatsoever
6. has been explicitly stated as having a different audience and purpose than 3DS

lol at these "reasons"
"at least be grateful Nintendo isn't charging you right now." -Unknown
Lesson to be learned: Be grateful for mediocrity.

User Info: Lelouch71

Lelouch71
4 weeks ago#62
Gargomon251 posted...
Lelouch71 posted...
The system was design to be a hybrid and use to combine both their console and handheld market together.

Despite the fact that switch:

1. Is very hard to fit in a pocket
2. Only has one screen (and doesn't fold up to protect it)
3. Does not have 3d
4. Barely uses the touchscreen (especially since you can't while it's docked anyway)
5. Does not play DS or 3DS games whatsoever
6. has been explicitly stated as having a different audience and purpose than 3DS

1. Doesn't matter you can still take it on the go. I use to have a Gamegear and it couldn't fit in my pocket. Yet it was still a handheld. It failed miserably for good reasons but it wasn't for that.
2. The Gamboy/Color/Advance had one screen along with the Gamegear, PSP, and Vita. Does that make them less of a handheld? I like and even prefer the dual screens but let not act like handhelds started with the DS.
3. Same as number 2
4. Same as number 2 but to also add this system is a hybrid console/handheld.
5. The PS4 doesn't play any PS1, 2, and 3 games outside of PSN. Newer models of the PS3 don't play PS2 games. The Switch doesn't even play Wii U games.
6. It's called PR. Businesses and especially politicians like to do that. You would be a dumb businessman to tell people to stop buying the 3DS because the Switch is replacing it especially when it still in the early stages of building an user base. Nintendo calling the DS a third pillar was PR because they didn't want to look like idiots if the DS failed.
"Your arms are too short to box with God!"

User Info: Seacliff217

Seacliff217
4 weeks ago#63
Gargomon251 posted...
Seacliff217 posted...
Gargomon251 posted...
IcyWind14 posted...
xxdudeyy posted...
http://twinfinite.net/2017/06/nintendo-switch-not-3ds-successor/

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/9250/nintendo-reveals-third-pillar

So you're trying to tell me that the DS replaced the GBA, so the Switch has to replace the 3DS? Even though the GBA was around for SIX YEARS after the DS launched? And the DS ALSO played GBA games, even though the switch will not play any 3DS OR Wii U games, making it an unfair comparison?

Where the hell did you get six years from? The last first party game on the GBA was Mother 3, just over a year after the DS.
Even the last third-party games were 2008, but most of them were shovelware license tie-ins.

DS release date: November 21, 2004
GBA discontinued: May 15, 2010

Even accounting for only first party nintendo releases, that was still two years strong after DS came out. And five years after GBA.

Not only that, but GBA only had 2 main iterations, normal and SP. 3DS has regular, 2ds, 3DSXL, New 3DS, and New 3DS XL, and New 2DSXL. The 3DS family also has firmware updates, so it's more adaptable than GBA.

Until nintendo says (or proves) otherwise, I have no reason to assume the 3DS is going anywhere for a long time. There's still popular publishers like Square Enix Atlus, and Nintendo themselves releasing 3DS games in 2018 that don't even have a concrete date yet.

You do know that the NES was in production until the early 2000s, right? It's not uncommon for consoles to still be in product after hardware stopped, Wii U is actually a rare exception.

And Square Enix is already moving on to the Switch with Octopath and currently has nothing announced for the 3DS despite being one of the more active third party supporters. Atlus confirmed there's only going to be one more Etrian Odyssey title for the 3DS after Persona Q2. Nintendo may have confirmed throughout 2018 but that's normal because what I stated above about having backup software in case the Switch flopped.

User Info: xx_ANBU_xx

xx_ANBU_xx
4 weeks ago#64
I really hope we get another dual screen portable, I have fallen so in love with the bottom screen that I don't want to live with another portable without one.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/MeowMixMax
IGN: Makoto / HR:999 MH4U

Seacliff217
4 weeks ago#65
Seacliff217 posted...
It's not uncommon for consoles to still be in product after hardware stopped

Crap, went back to this after editing expired. Meant to say 'Not uncommon for consoles to still be produced after the software has stopped.'

User Info: Gargomon251

Gargomon251
4 weeks ago#66
Seacliff217 posted...
Seacliff217 posted...

Crap, went back to this after editing expired. Meant to say 'Not uncommon for consoles to still be produced after the software has stopped.'

Wii U didn't. And as was still pointed out, there was software for years after DS came out.

Lelouch71 posted...
1. Doesn't matter you can still take it on the go. I use to have a Gamegear and it couldn't fit in my pocket. Yet it was still a handheld. It failed miserably for good reasons but it wasn't for that.
2. The Gamboy/Color/Advance had one screen along with the Gamegear, PSP, and Vita. Does that make them less of a handheld? I like and even prefer the dual screens but let not act like handhelds started with the DS.
3. Same as number 2
4. Same as number 2 but to also add this system is a hybrid console/handheld.
5. The PS4 doesn't play any PS1, 2, and 3 games outside of PSN. Newer models of the PS3 don't play PS2 games. The Switch doesn't even play Wii U games.
6. It's called PR. Businesses and especially politicians like to do that. You would be a dumb businessman to tell people to stop buying the 3DS because the Switch is replacing it especially when it still in the early stages of building an user base. Nintendo calling the DS a third pillar was PR because they didn't want to look like idiots if the DS failed.

1. It's too clunky to have with you constantly like a smartphone or 3ds.
2. When did I ever argue that? I'm not talking about sega or sony. What I'm saying is it would be dumb for nintendo to backstep after all these improvements. Especially after two hardware generations.
4. As I said before, not all systems are equally portable. Hell, a laptop is technically portable but you don't see most people dragging them to the grocery store.
5. Which is one reason why I don't like ps4. And again, nobody is talking about sony here. All nintendo handhelds have had some degree of backwards compatibility, even when consoles haven't. In fact, the only Nintendo consoles that ever had backwards compatibility were disc based, not cart based like the handhelds.
6. There's a difference between hedging their bets and outright lying. I'm sick of people making this out to be some huge conspiracy. I'm not saying the 3ds CAN'T be replaced, but there's no reason they'd flip-flop overnight.

So just calm your t***.
I'm sick of off topic threads and abusive mods.
u/Gargomon251

Seacliff217
4 weeks ago#67
Gargomon251 posted...
Seacliff217 posted...
Seacliff217 posted...

Wii U didn't. And as was still pointed out, there was software for years after DS came out.

It's like I hadn't mentioned the Wii U or something.
Oh wait.
Seacliff217 posted...
Wii U is actually a rare exception.

Failed consoles are normally the exception to this norm. Dreamcast actually got licensed third-party titles up until 2006, yet was discontinued in early 2001.

As for the DS, it's over twice as successful as the 3DS, of course it's expected to have a longer life. However, I can't think of anything that's not DSI ware after 2012, eight years after the consoles life. The end of 2018, where a lot of people believe to be the end of the consoles first party support, is also almost eight years of life. 3DS simply already had a pretty long life.

Also, DSi was only discontinued fairly recently.

User Info: IrateGameFAQer

IrateGameFAQer
4 weeks ago#68
Gargomon251 posted...

1. It's too clunky to have with you constantly like a smartphone or 3ds.

says who? you?

Funny I take my switch (and occasionally) 3DS on my commute everyday. I've also traveled w/ both on long flights.

Seems like you're the type to constantly make excuses

and seacliff is right, no one is making it a conspiracy but history shows Nintendo says a lotta bulls***. Hell, the NoJ was quoted as saying the switch wasn't a Wii U replacement a year before its release. So saying s*** like nintendo explicitly said blah blah blah shouldn't be taken w/ much stock. This is the same company/PR that tried to justify the moronic chat app, said the NES classic last year would be in constant production before ultimately killing it, and tons of other PR. They're covering their asses. No more, no less. So when bulls*** happens they can say they said something prior about it rather than look reactionary.
"at least be grateful Nintendo isn't charging you right now." -Unknown
Lesson to be learned: Be grateful for mediocrity.

User Info: RadKickAss

RadKickAss
4 weeks ago#69
MasterFox72 posted...
DeepsPraw posted...
They already made a perfect handheld, it's called the Playstation Vita

If only it used generic memory.

I agree with both of you.
SURE, I'LL TAKE YOU TO A GOOD PLACE. HEH!! HEH!! HEH!!
PSN: RadKickAss // 3DS: 4957-3805-8646

User Info: itis41269

itis41269
4 weeks ago#70
I will. I shall give my body to new tendo to be used as the New New tendo handheld.

Are you ready? Because I am
"Destiny by sinner sought , Tragedy by power wrought "-M'booby
PSN:whatitis4u/friend code:0834-1025-1958/GT:XwhatitisX
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. So what is going to succeed the 3ds??

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived