My Expectations of The Nintendo 3DS Handheld

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. My Expectations of The Nintendo 3DS Handheld

User Info: plagamesforeva

plagamesforeva
1 month ago#1
I LOVe my Nintendo 3DS handheld and play that more than anything else these last several years, however in comparison to the Nintendo DS, the library isn't that big. I know, because my NDS library is still much bigger than my N3DS library. In addition, there are genres that are either not as represented or not represented at all on the N3DS, that are represented on the NDS such as Fighting, Brawlers, Shooters, Sports, Racing, and Action games.

I miss the Metal Slug/Contra action games. I miss those side-scroller beat em' ups! I miss RPG's like Breath of Fire and Final Fantasy.

I am happy that Metroid: Samus Returns came out and that we got several The Legend of Zelda games, including remakes, but I also want a new Contra or at least Contra III: The Alien Wars to be remade. I want a new Resident Evil game and a new Mega Man game. I want a TRUE Final Fantasy game and I want those Final Fantasy V and Final Fantasy VI 3D remakes to FINALLY come out.

Once this happens, only then can I say that the N3DS is compete for me and one of the all-time best systems ever. Game-wise, it still kinda falls short, even the Sony PSP had every genre covered.
CAPCOM needs to make Mega Man: Powered Up 2 & Mega Man: Powered Up 3 & SQUARE-ENIX needs to REmake FFV, FFVI, & Secret of Mana for the Nintendo 3DS.

User Info: lali_puna

lali_puna
1 month ago#2
ye, the diversity of the 3DS's library suck pretty hard.

I miss racing games, like Burnout.
I miss RTS games like Command & Conquer.
I miss 3D Action Adventures like MGS3 or Splinter Cell.
I miss an outstanding fishing game, like River King games.
I miss a Tony Hawk port.
I miss business games like Settlers, Sim City, Civilisation.
I miss 4x space games (like always, on a console).

They could do so much better, but that's just not how the business works.
Thank god, the 3DS had still enough bombshells to make me purchase one just last week.

User Info: Evieholly13

Evieholly13
1 month ago#3
Huh? The library is amazing. You wanna race play mario kart. You wanna platform play mario. You wanna fight play smash. You wanna shooter play metroid or kid icarus or resident evil. You want action adv play zelda. You want rpgs you have a ton lol. Tony hawk? I havent seen a kid on a skateboard in 20 years lol
PS4 Pro
Switch

User Info: EntwineRychiar

EntwineRychiar
1 month ago#4
Love Contra 4 for the DS.
This isn't funny Dean, the voice says I'm almost out of minutes!

User Info: IrateGameFAQer

IrateGameFAQer
1 month ago#5
Evieholly13 posted...
Huh? The library is amazing. You wanna race play mario kart. You wanna platform play mario. You wanna fight play smash. You wanna shooter play metroid or kid icarus or resident evil. You want action adv play zelda. You want rpgs you have a ton lol. Tony hawk? I havent seen a kid on a skateboard in 20 years lol

terrible examples
"at least be grateful Nintendo isn't charging you right now." -Unknown
Lesson to be learned: Be grateful for mediocrity.

User Info: lali_puna

lali_puna
1 month ago#6
Evieholly13 posted...

Ye, it is amazing....for:
-Nintendo-fanboys
-JRPG/Visual-Novel weebs
-Indie pixel-art lovers

Besides that, I find the library pretty lacking. =P

User Info: TallTamryu

TallTamryu
1 month ago#7
IrateGameFAQer posted...
terrible examples

No it isn't. The person asking for specific things was terrible. Seriously RTS, 4x strategy, Sim game? Lol. The person just wants a PC. Nintendo's handhelds (and honestly every company) have never had much, if any, of those genres.
"Guys don't treat girls right, that's why the lesbian rate's going up"

User Info: IrateGameFAQer

IrateGameFAQer
1 month ago#8
TallTamryu posted...
IrateGameFAQer posted...
terrible examples

No it isn't. The person asking for specific things was terrible. Seriously RTS, 4x strategy, Sim game? Lol. The person just wants a PC. Nintendo's handhelds (and honestly every company) have never had much, if any, of those genres.

yeah..no.

DS had some, if not all those genres covered, yet the 3DS is lacking in those same exact ones.

the only thing remotely PC about those suggestions would be RTS games...but while niche on a handheld, it has and can be done.
"at least be grateful Nintendo isn't charging you right now." -Unknown
Lesson to be learned: Be grateful for mediocrity.

User Info: FuzzyJello

FuzzyJello
1 month ago#9
As another circa-2017 owner, the most of the library really does feel like a continuation of the Game Boy. You've got a few 3d action games, but 3d shooters are light and I'm not aware of any non-RPG strategy games. Can't speak to puzzles or faster-paced platformers, haven't looked hard enough and sure the eShop has plenty.

User Info: Metastase

Metastase
1 month ago#10
To be completely honest, I think the 3DS has the worst or 2nd worst library of any console I've ever owned if you discount DS retro compatibility (the other worst being N64).

However, 2 notes:

1-) I was completely aware that would be the case when I bought my N3DS and I don't regret it 1 bit, mainly because I got it just for 1 game and that game turned out to be the only game I've rated 10/10 ever (Rune Factory 4).

2-) I'm older and harder to please now. This is not helped by the fact that the 3DS library is borderline casual and I'm a really hardcore gamer. The worst offender on this regard is the lack of a real hardcore ARPG (aside from RF4), Heroes of Ruin is a BAD JOKE, downright offensive to me. From a more casual POV though, the 3DS library is great.

The N64 was technically inferior compared to the 3DS library (specially in retrospect). It only had 3 outstanding games for me: Zelda OoT, S. Mario 64 and Hybrid Heaven. However, even though the 3DS has more interesting games, none of them come even close to any of the 3 mentioned above (aside from the masterpiece that is Rune Factory 4 of course). So maybe if I add all decent/average 3DS games, it amounts to the same thing more or less? I dunno.

Even the Dreamcast which supposedly had even fewer games (compared to 3DS) has a much higher standing from my POV since the little it had was so high quality that it crushes a lot of stuff out there. PSO ver.02 alone is a system seller (I would buy any portable system with a port of this game immediately), Record of Lodoss War was an unbelievably good Diablo clone, Illbleed has more originality than the entirety of many console libraries combined and what to say about other classics such as Skies of Arcadia and Grandia 2?

"The library is amazing. You wanna race play mario kart. You wanna platform play mario. You wanna fight play smash. You wanna shooter play metroid or kid icarus or resident evil. You want action adv play zelda. You want rpgs you have a ton lol. Tony hawk? I havent seen a kid on a skateboard in 20 years lol"

Here is the thing man:

- If I wanna race, I'll play a realistic racing simulation game and if I want it portable, there is always PSP/VITA for that;

- If I want 3D platforming for ADULTS, I'd rather play something like Tomb Raider Anniversary on the PSP;

- I'm over 2D fighting games but I'll give the 3DS that: Smash is good.

- Shooters are oversaturated too. Resident Evil Revelations is indeed solid but it's still less interesting than say, 3rd Birthday (PSP);

- I can't remember the last action adventure game I've enjoyed but I'd probably go with older Tomb Raider games on this one too. That said, hey, PSP has Megaman Legends;

- Aside from 1st person dungeon crawler RPGs, there is only Bravely Default and Pokemon on the 3DS as far as classical JRPGs are concerned. Needless to say, I can play Ps1 RPGs on the PSP and that alone puts the 3DS to shame. For Pokemon, the DS has the superior games (HGSS and BW2). And for SRPGs, the PSP has the ultimate version of FF Tactics, Disgaea and Tactics Ogre.

For ARPGs (ignoring RF4 for a sec), 3DS has...FF Explorers/Fantasy Life and Monster Hunter Generations if we are being lenient. FF Explorers is a poor man's Phantasy Star Portable 2 (PSP), FL core boils down to a poor man's Diablo clone such as the infinitely superior Soma Bringer (DS) or the original Diablo (PSP).

What about Metroidvanias? 3DS: Shovel Knight, Metroid and other average stuff. Compared to DS: Castlevanias PoR, DoS, OoE, Megaman ZX and Advent, or Symphony of the Night on PSP. LOL
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. My Expectations of The Nintendo 3DS Handheld

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived