My Expectations of The Nintendo 3DS Handheld

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. My Expectations of The Nintendo 3DS Handheld

User Info: Metastase

Metastase
3 months ago#11
What about sports? Although the old DS loses at pretty much all sports compared to PSP, it still had decent representations for most stples such as Tennis (NOT MARIO), Tony Hawks Underground was REALLY GOOD on DS (and absolutely outstanding on the PSP). Soccer, etc...you name it, the PSP got it better.

If the 3DS library is so great, why can't it win in AT LEAST 1 genre like the others do?

DS is undisputed king of portable metroidvanias.

PSP is portable PS1 which auto-wins the RPG genre by default, but it holds its own ground regardless on genres such as sports and ARPGs, with exclusive titles such as Dissidia, Gladiator Begins, etc.

Again, excluding RF4, 3DS wins at...Zelda and Mario? Oh wait, it doesn't! DS has Super Mario 64 so 3DS wins only at Zelda.

See what I mean by its library being borderline casual? If we drop the bar even more to include even more casual genres such as Puzzles, smartphones win against everything forever.

I wonder how I would feel if RF4 didn't turned out to be a masterpiece. I'd probably sell my N3DS in a heartbeat and never look back, assuming I would've bought it in the 1st place.

User Info: WarGreymon77

WarGreymon77
3 months ago#12
It'd be cool if Bandai localized Digimon World ReDigitize: Decode.

or if Nintendo added GBA to the 3DS VC

User Info: plagamesforeva

plagamesforeva
2 months ago#13
Evieholly13 posted...
Huh? The library is amazing. You wanna race play mario kart. You wanna platform play mario. You wanna fight play smash. You wanna shooter play metroid or kid icarus or resident evil. You want action adv play zelda. You want rpgs you have a ton lol. Tony hawk? I havent seen a kid on a skateboard in 20 years lol

Of course the library is fantastic, however it is nothing like the NDS library. I want more options for racing games besides Ridge Racer, Mario Kart 7, and Need For Speed. I wanted NBA2K, I want more sports in general as I want more side scroller such as Contra and Double Dragon.

Games for the N3DS held it down like Fantasy Life, Mario and Zelda games, Monster Hunter, Prof. Layton, and a series of other games, but the variety overall is lacking.
CAPCOM needs to make Mega Man: Powered Up 2 & Mega Man: Powered Up 3 & SQUARE-ENIX needs to REmake FFV, FFVI, & Secret of Mana for the Nintendo 3DS.

User Info: iMURDAu

iMURDAu
2 months ago#14
Metastase posted...
Again, excluding RF4, 3DS wins at...Zelda and Mario? Oh wait, it doesn't! DS has Super Mario 64 so 3DS wins only at Zelda.

You might be the first person I've encountered that thinks SM64DS is superior to 3D Land and/or New Super 2.
My fake plants died because I didn't pretend to water them.
- Mitch Hedburg

User Info: WarGreymon77

WarGreymon77
2 months ago#15
As redundant as it may seem, I'd like to see some 3DS ports of a few games that were ported badly to GBA. Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, SimCity (2000 or 3000, I don't remember). Eshop exclusive if you have to.

User Info: wrobe67132

wrobe67132
2 months ago#16
lali_puna posted...
Evieholly13 posted...
Huh? The library is amazing. You wanna race play mario kart. You wanna platform play mario. You wanna fight play smash. You wanna shooter play metroid or kid icarus or resident evil. You want action adv play zelda. You want rpgs you have a ton lol. Tony hawk? I havent seen a kid on a skateboard in 20 years lol

Ye, it is amazing....for:
-Nintendo-fanboys
-JRPG/Visual-Novel weebs
-Indie pixel-art lovers

Besides that, I find the library pretty lacking. =P

Yeah I agree that it's lacking, but I can't say it's amazing for that second one. Vita seems like the better choice for JRPG and Visual Novels.

Also, hows Visual Novels considered a weeb thing? Those dating sims, sure, but then there's VNs like the Nonary Games, Steins;Gate and Danganronpa.

Metastase posted...
To be completely honest, I think the 3DS has the worst or 2nd worst library of any console I've ever owned if you discount DS retro compatibility (the other worst being N64).

Did you really just call the N64 library one of if not the worst? It had far more than just three good games. Donkey Kong games, Banjo Kazooie, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, F-Zero, Paper Mario, Mario 64, Mario Party, Kirby 64, and even the Pokemon games were pretty fun. While many were platformers, it still had variety and many great games that a lot of people considered great.
It's dangerous to take this. Go alone.

User Info: SSjYagami

SSjYagami
2 months ago#17
DS beats 3DS but 3DS still stomps Wii U & Switch (so far) so it is pretty good in my eyes.
Mods are pathetic SJWs who abuse their administrative abilities and couldn't muster a logical defense for their actions to save their lives. Worthless.

User Info: Metastase

Metastase
2 months ago#18
"You might be the first person I've encountered that thinks SM64DS is superior to 3D Land and/or New Super 2."

Probably because I really enjoyed using the virtual analog control (using a imrpovised thumb-stick). But my point is still the same, SM64 > 3D Land and the others IMO.

"Did you really just call the N64 library one of if not the worst? It had far more than just three good games. Donkey Kong games, Banjo Kazooie, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, F-Zero, Paper Mario, Mario 64, Mario Party, Kirby 64, and even the Pokemon games were pretty fun. While many were platformers, it still had variety and many great games that a lot of people considered great."

I'm surprised to reach this conclusion too. Like you just said, there were some outstanding games that I omitted like Banjo Kazooie and the shooters but even accounting for all of that (and ignoring games that were on Playstation too such as Megaman Legends and Harvest Moon), it's still MY personal worst/2nd worst library along with 3DS compared to, let's say:

- GBA: Castlevania Aria of Sorrow, Pokemon FRLG and RSE, Golden Sun 1 & 2, Shining Soul 2, Shining Force/Tactics Ogre/FF Tactics Advance, Medabots (the RPG and the rumble arena fighter), Metroid Zero Mission/Fusion, Advance Wars, Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town, FF 5 & 6 Advance, Mega Man Battle Network 1/2/3/4/5/6, Sword of Mana, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, Summon Night Swordcraft Story, Megaman Zero 1/2/3/4, and bunch of stuff I'm definitely forgetting.

Here is the thing: GBA isn't even 1 of my top systems! I hold OoT and SM64 on the highest regards but honestly I easily take the games above over these 2.

I mean sure, technically my N64 was better than the original ATARI, Game Gear and other really old school consoles no one I know ever had besides me but then again there isn't much point on mentioning those here since I had just a few games and that was it.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. My Expectations of The Nintendo 3DS Handheld

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived