Advice on playing 3DS with early carpal tunnel symptoms

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Advice on playing 3DS with early carpal tunnel symptoms

User Info: onoturtle

onoturtle
2 months ago#21
Teremei posted...
How bad is yours?

Better than two weeks ago. That was the peak of the symptoms with medium-mild finger numbness getting out of bed in the morning until a few hours into the evening after work and way from the computer. I quit gaming those days.

I mention changes I've made since in previous posts. To update that, I've been wearing a CTS wrist strap all day the last two days and I get occasional on/off very mild finger numbness (I really only notice if I make the effort to do so) when using a computer. I get no issues gaming with a controller, but maybe it takes a longer gaming session before I feel something. I haven't had a full afternoon of gaming and such in awhile so I don't really know.

User Info: Teremei

Teremei
2 months ago#22
onoturtle posted...
Teremei posted...
How bad is yours?

Better than two weeks ago. That was the peak of the symptoms with medium-mild finger numbness getting out of bed in the morning until a few hours into the evening after work and way from the computer. I quit gaming those days.

I mention changes I've made since in previous posts. To update that, I've been wearing a CTS wrist strap all day the last two days and I get occasional on/off very mild finger numbness (I really only notice if I make the effort to do so) when using a computer. I get no issues gaming with a controller, but maybe it takes a longer gaming session before I feel something. I haven't had a full afternoon of gaming and such in awhile so I don't really know.

I see. I got the test where they zap you all up and down your arm. And stick thick needles in you and ask you to move your thumbs, arms, etc. . Not fun. But it confirmed I had moderate CTS. I finally decided to get the surgery because I know I am not gonna stop gaming. If it ever comes to that I can say from my experience it is a quick recovery and it worked for me. No more tingling, numbness, nothing. Worth it for me personally.
75" Sony FALD - PS4 Pro/4K UHD : : : 65" LG OLED - Xbox 360/WiiU : : : : 40" Sony - PS2/SNES/various retro systems via RGB and s-video

User Info: bybyr

bybyr
2 months ago#23
Get Tiger Balm and apply it on your wrist, regularly

I also suggest you not to play video game that require a lot of actions and button mash. I easily got rsi when played batman Arkham series. I only could play action games 2 hours at maximum. Mario games are actually quite tiring too. But super Mario galaxy series are probably the most dangerous games for people with carpal tunnel syndrome.

Shooter games are not that tiring, stealth games even better. J Rpg is probably the most appropriate for your condition because it requires less actions.

Also, I am not sure about you guys, but I think m+kB is much more tiring for my wrist than a gamepad!
Member Since January 9th, 2005: mostly active in Saga Frontier boards. join our group! http://tinyurl.com/Sfgfaqs

User Info: ferofax

ferofax
2 months ago#24
Umm... if OP has carpal tunnel syndrome, separate the joycons and lay your hands however which way is the most comfortable.

I mean, why make it difficult for yourself when you can just lay your arms to the side and play like that?
Boomerang and RecoilDown+3 Evangelist
N3DS XL FC: 2938-9344-1117

User Info: Krazy_Kirby

Krazy_Kirby
2 months ago#25
get something to exercise your wrists so they get stronger (like those handgrip things).
Kill From The Shadows.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiot

User Info: EverLastingFate

EverLastingFate
2 months ago#26
Krazy_Kirby posted...
get something to exercise your wrists so they get stronger (like those handgrip things).

Terrible advice. It's not a strength issue. It's inflammation of the carpal tunnel from carpals rubbing on the inside of the tunnel. Generally caused by not maintaining a neutral posture of the wrist while using fingers that cause the carpals to rub against the tunnel instead of freely in and out.
Never Do Yesterday What Should Be Done Tomorrow.
If at Last You Do Succeed, Never Try Again.

User Info: EverLastingFate

EverLastingFate
2 months ago#27
EverLastingFate posted...
Krazy_Kirby posted...

Terrible advice. It's not a strength issue. It's inflammation of the carpal tunnel from carpals rubbing on the inside of the tunnel. Generally caused by not maintaining a neutral posture of the wrist while using fingers that cause the carpals to rub against the tunnel instead of freely in and out.

Stretch, yes. Grip strengthening, no no no.
Never Do Yesterday What Should Be Done Tomorrow.
If at Last You Do Succeed, Never Try Again.

User Info: TheSystemFailed

TheSystemFailed
2 months ago#28
EverLastingFate posted...
The best I've ever used, if you can find them. Try eBay.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008XHCLFO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

CTS is Cumulative Trauma Disorder. The majority of people can reduce symptoms by not overusing the affected body parts, avoiding repetitive motion, and anti inflammatory drugs.

Severe cases may never resolve without surgery. Essentially the cut a band in your wrist (the carpal tunnel) which is inflamed. It's like the rubber band that comes on lobster claws. This immediately improves symptoms and has a very good success rate.

If you're hoping to avoid surgery, figure out what motions or wrist positions are causing this and stop for a while.

What do you do for a living if you don't mind me asking?

YES!!!! The DreamGear grips are top notch! I used to cramp a lot playing shoulder button heavy games, like Mario Kart 7. This grip helped tremendously. I have the N3ds version of the grip, but it essentially does the same thing. No more cramps for my hands. Just make sure if you buy it, you buy the right one for your model. Good luck with your CTS. It got my mother pretty bad and she had surgery on both hands.She used her hands a lot, working in a bakery for many years.
Xbox Live Gamertag: TheSystemFailed
3DS Friend Code 1092-2676-3451 USA East Coast

User Info: onoturtle

onoturtle
2 months ago#29
For the Dreamgear users @TheSystemFailed and @EverLastingFate, how are the L/R buttons? At least in the old 3DS version, they have rubber over the buttons that sounds like makes them more difficult to push according to some Amazon reviews. Did you two have this issue?

User Info: TheSystemFailed

TheSystemFailed
2 months ago#30
They do cover the buttons, but I did not find them any more difficult than usual. I actually liked having the added protection for the buttons. Maybe having to reshape the rubber to fit over two buttons on each side made a difference between the regular 3dsxl and the new 3dsxl. Not sure. I have no issues though.
Xbox Live Gamertag: TheSystemFailed
3DS Friend Code 1092-2676-3451 USA East Coast
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Advice on playing 3DS with early carpal tunnel symptoms

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived