Which of these has the best story?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Which of these has the best story?

User Info: Onipaladin

Onipaladin
4 weeks ago#1
I want a game with a good story to get into while I take my long train rides.

Bravely Second
Fire Emblem: Fates
Monster Hunter Stories
Dragon Quest VII
Metroid Samus Returns

I mention Metroid even though it's not a rpg because the other metroid I played while not high on cutscenes told amazing stories in my opinion in its atmosphere.

I played Metroid Prime for hours upon hours losing track of the time just from stuff I scanned.
Friend Codes ; 1891 1168 2591 - Manny
0576 441 7875 - Vinnie

User Info: Salocool

Salocool
4 weeks ago#2
So, which turd shines the brightest?

They all have extremely sickening amateur and infantile writing, apart from "Samus Returns", which just doesn't really have much of a story anyway.

You want to see what a story with promise look like? Boot up "Genealogy of the Holy War" on a Super Famicom, read the intro + prologue.

It's not astounding writing either, but it is still several leagues above any of the titles listed.

Don't settle for mediocrity kids.
And the Lord [...] drive out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.

User Info: Etria

Etria
4 weeks ago#3
Salocool posted...

They all have extremely sickening amateur and infantile writing, apart from "Samus Returns", which just doesn't really have much of a story anyway.

You want to see what a story with promise look like? Boot up "Genealogy of the Holy War" on a Super Famicom, read the intro + prologue.

It's not astounding writing either, but it is still several leagues above any of the titles listed.

Your post reeks of "Didn't even read the opening post properly", which clearly stated that this was something to play on a train ride. Unless TC has a Japanese New 3DS they aren't going to be playing a Super Famicom game on there.

I like Genealogy's story a lot, but these kind of posts just give it a bad name.

As for the question, I don't actually know all of those titles. I would not say Bravely Second has the best story of available 3DS games, but I'd say it's more engaging then Fates. If Onipaladin has played the prequel, Bravely Default, then I'd say BS is one of the better options.

Most people recommend playing Bravely Default before Second, as it is a direct sequel.

Fates is more interesting for the support conversations between all the characters, which can be interesting to explore. The 3 story paths are considered badly written, but the gameplay + customization is good and some people like seeing all the chats between their favorites.

Don't know the story of the other 3 titles.

User Info: Salocool

Salocool
4 weeks ago#4
The point is that none of these games have a story worth reading. Even Agathie Christie's tedious books are more fleshed out in the story/character department!
And the Lord [...] drive out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.

User Info: helldew

helldew
3 weeks ago#5
Dragon Quest VII>>>Bravely Second>Fire Emblem: Fates

for story.

Dragon quest VII is episodic it has a pretty awesome party chat function. the mini stories them selves can range from ok to pretty damn good (some of them get rather dark/intresting to). this game has a ton of pacing issues tho and it def drags like crazy but its overall a pretty damn good game if you dont mind the slow burns.

Bravely second is alright if you played the first and watched any trailers of the second you know what your getting into.

Fates is fun to play the story is actively horrible. Id honestly say that minimalistic games that dont try stories are better then what story this game has. the story is actively bad. it makes no sense it contradicts it self all over the place it has a lot of drama for the sake of drama. it does have some good support conversation and characters that come out of it. its sad that the story actively contradicts characters supports tho. and it being broken into 3 parts really didnt help. it basically feels like conquest and Birthright are like 80% of a game with tons of recycled maps between the games then revelations is like terrible in gameplay but it has the ending you would actually want.

haven't got Monster Hunter Stories yet. cant imagine the story is all that great but i may be wrong on this. i watched a bit of the anime seamed very pokemon/yokai watch like il get around to this when i finish up a few other things. ive heard good things about it tho.

Metroid Samus Returns is kinda hard to weigh against the others. the game is fantastic (and while im in the middle of it its hard to say but it might very well be the best of these)

TC if you dont have a PSP or vita i might highly urge you to grab one if you havent already cause that system has easily some of my favorite story based games this gen and last gen. standouts are things like trails in the sky/cold steel and steins gate+ 0(which im playing now). PSPs are dirt cheap and have some quality RPGs accessible on them. and they cost like the price of a single 3ds game and their games cost less then peanuts on PSN sales.
Competitive smash Player , random gaming news, + game dev stuff. Follow me on twitter @helldew93 #shamelessselfpromotion

User Info: OliviaTremor

OliviaTremor
3 weeks ago#6
Of those probably Fire Emblem Fates. But my favorite story on the 3DS is Cave Story
Notyou

User Info: iMURDAu

iMURDAu
3 weeks ago#7
OliviaTremor posted...
Of those probably Fire Emblem Fates. But my favorite story on the 3DS is Cave Story

Fates has terrible storytelling. Just awful. Birthright in particular makes very little sense at times. Conquest at least has good gameplay to fall back on.

Samus Returns has no storytelling during the game. So idk what you think you'll glean from colorful backgrounds and narrow passages.
My fake plants died because I didn't pretend to water them.
- Mitch Hedburg

User Info: Blayshy

Blayshy
3 weeks ago#8
Salocool posted...

You're pretentious.
Uh... A-Are you sure to interact with others?
-Mario, Ganondorf, Sonic, Bowser Jr. / Wendy, Duck Hunt, Marth, Mewtwo Mainer.

Onipaladin
3 weeks ago#9
So the consensus is that at least most if not all the games I listed have good gameplay but poor stories.

I played Bravely default and loved it but toward the end became unnecessarily long and drawn out and I'm worried the second game has this issue.

I loved Awakening. But Fates seems to be taking the series in a direction I'm not sure I will like so I'm not sure if I should invest.

Metroid I know literally nothing about except that it's a remake. I'm not sure if it has the scanning feature or the amazing music or incredible atmosphere of Prime and Super Metroid though.

I want something like the Final Fantasy IV that came out on the DS. That's a game I loved through and through.
0576 441 7875 - Vinnie

Onipaladin
3 weeks ago#10
helldew posted...
Dragon Quest VII>>>Bravely Second>Fire Emblem: Fates

for story.

Dragon quest VII is episodic it has a pretty awesome party chat function. the mini stories them selves can range from ok to pretty damn good (some of them get rather dark/intresting to). this game has a ton of pacing issues tho and it def drags like crazy but its overall a pretty damn good game if you dont mind the slow burns.

Bravely second is alright if you played the first and watched any trailers of the second you know what your getting into.

Fates is fun to play the story is actively horrible. Id honestly say that minimalistic games that dont try stories are better then what story this game has. the story is actively bad. it makes no sense it contradicts it self all over the place it has a lot of drama for the sake of drama. it does have some good support conversation and characters that come out of it. its sad that the story actively contradicts characters supports tho. and it being broken into 3 parts really didnt help. it basically feels like conquest and Birthright are like 80% of a game with tons of recycled maps between the games then revelations is like terrible in gameplay but it has the ending you would actually want.

haven't got Monster Hunter Stories yet. cant imagine the story is all that great but i may be wrong on this. i watched a bit of the anime seamed very pokemon/yokai watch like il get around to this when i finish up a few other things. ive heard good things about it tho.

Metroid Samus Returns is kinda hard to weigh against the others. the game is fantastic (and while im in the middle of it its hard to say but it might very well be the best of these)

TC if you dont have a PSP or vita i might highly urge you to grab one if you havent already cause that system has easily some of my favorite story based games this gen and last gen. standouts are things like trails in the sky/cold steel and steins gate+ 0(which im playing now). PSPs are dirt cheap and have some quality RPGs accessible on them. and they cost like the price of a single 3ds game and their games cost less then peanuts on PSN sales.

I do have a vita. I might actually just do Odin Sphere....
0576 441 7875 - Vinnie
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Which of these has the best story?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived