Best Mario Sport game(s)?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Best Mario Sport game(s)?

User Info: sacman64

sacman64
4 weeks ago#1
So I've been trying to get my wife back into gaming and it occurred to me that she might like some of the Mario Sport games.

I downloaded the demo for Golf World Tour and she seemed to like it, and we are thinking of checking out Tennis Ultra Smash on the Wii U but then I remembered Superstars from earlier this year.

Overall, what we're looking for is a fun, (potentially co-op?) game that she and I can play. Our current system options are Wii, Wii U and 3DS. What should we look into?

User Info: LuigiFan835

LuigiFan835
4 weeks ago#2
Unfortunately, most new Mario Sports games are mediocre. World Tour is pretty fun. Single player is a bit lacking but multiplayer is great. Ultra smash is fun but barely has any content or modes. Don't get it. Open is better but not by much.

Sports Superstars has a bunch of watered down sports. Not terrible, but not too worthwhile. Mario Hoops 3 on 3 is on the DS, so it's a bit older, but I still have quite a bit of fun playing it. Same with Mario Strikers Charged on the Wii. Sports Mix is okay and Slugger is decent. Power Tennis got a port on Wii but the motion controls are kind of annoying

Overall, if you're looking for good Mario Sports games that you can play on Wii U or 3DS, then I would recommend Strikers Charged, Super Sluggers, World Tour, or Mario Hoops.
3DS FC:1375-8350-6103; Switch FC: 5454-0571-3814
Mii Name: Luigi; NNID: MARIOS_BRO123

sacman64
4 weeks ago#3
Thanks for the input! I'll check them out with the wife and see what she thinks!

User Info: ibrokethedam

ibrokethedam
4 weeks ago#4
My favorite, though it may be a little too competitive, is Mario Strikers Charged. It's a Wii game that can be purchased on the Wii U eshop.

After that I would go with Ultra Smash. The core mechanics are pretty good, and it looks really good. It's very bare bones, though. Mario Tennis 64 is a much, much better game and you can also get that on the Wii U eshop. But a newish gamer might prefer the better visuals.
I don't know.

sacman64
4 weeks ago#5
What makes Ultra Smash so bare bones?

LuigiFan835
4 weeks ago#6
There really aren't very many modes. The only single player the game has aside form the obvious exhibition matches is literally just playing a series of games against the AI, which gets boring fast. The maps are boring too, and the entire game can be 100%-ed very easily. Ultra smash has pretty good gameplay, but lacks so much content.

sacman64
4 weeks ago#7
LuigiFan835 posted...
There really aren't very many modes. The only single player the game has aside form the obvious exhibition matches is literally just playing a series of games against the AI, which gets boring fast. The maps are boring too, and the entire game can be 100%-ed very easily. Ultra smash has pretty good gameplay, but lacks so much content.

Fair enough. How's the co-op play? Just to kick back, relax and play a few matches.

LuigiFan835
4 weeks ago#8
sacman64 posted...
LuigiFan835 posted...

Fair enough. How's the co-op play? Just to kick back, relax and play a few matches.

Honestly if you're interested in mostly playing co-op, it's pretty fun. You can do the normal matches or just classic matches. The normal matches are probably more fun for a relaxed, casual experience experience because there are the Mega Mushrooks which make you huge. Classic mode is fun but it's not as enjoyable imo due to lack of significant things happening. It worked well in the GameCube Mario Tennis because the courts had gimmicks, but since they are mostly plain in this game, Classic mode just boils down to the first one to mess up

If she isn't too into gaming, it may take her a little while to get used to. There are six types of swings you can do and there are also chance spots, which are little areas that you can step in to increase the strength of your swing.

User Info: SeamusOHassey

SeamusOHassey
4 weeks ago#9
The Golf one is fun, but the rest aren't even worth looking at.

Really though, the only Mario sports game you should consider are the two GBC games on the VC.
You're not funny and nobody likes you.
My future wife -https://fat.gfycat.com/QuickThickJunco.gif

LuigiFan835
4 weeks ago#10
SeamusOHassey posted...
The Golf one is fun, but the rest aren't even worth looking at.

Really though, the only Mario sports game you should consider are the two GBC games on the VC.

Not true at all
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Best Mario Sport game(s)?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived