300 game download limit

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. 300 game download limit

User Info: Gargomon251

Gargomon251
2 months ago#11
SeamusOHassey posted...
Good lord though, 300 games?

Seriously. I don't even have two full folders of demos, and those are FREE (I initially downloaded every demo I saw in the eshop for the first few years)
I'm sick of off topic threads and abusive mods.
u/Gargomon251

User Info: desaigamon

desaigamon
2 months ago#12
Built in apps count towards the limit, so it's actually less than 300.

Inhuman-Art posted...
Is this per memory card tho?

Yes. Each card gets its own limit. You might have some headaches with your physical games when it comes to updates or StreetPass, but other than that you should be fine.
NNID: HonestCarl 3DS FC: 4012 3979 5838
Now Playing: Pokemon Moon (3DS), Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U), Netflix (Xbox One)

User Info: Inhuman-Art

Inhuman-Art
2 months ago#13
desaigamon posted...

Inhuman-Art posted...

Yes. Each card gets its own limit. You might have some headaches with your physical games when it comes to updates or StreetPass, but other than that you should be fine.

Ahh, well s*** I'll just get another 32 gb and put all of my Indies and small games on that.

Also 300 games. I've about 1300 on steam. I work in the industry and am a lead concept artist as well as a developer, I buy a lot of games to see what's out there. Also I don't know why I buy them half the time or what in the hell chicken wiggle even was but I just bought that for some reason. It will become relevant to me at some point lol

I really need to stop. Done with steam purchases, I've enough genres to compare for a long, long time.
Conceptual Artist and Avid Gamer

User Info: LuigiFan835

LuigiFan835
2 months ago#14
You can always buy two SD Cards. I actually have around 240-260 games or so, though at least 40 of them are retail. So it's not that unreasonable to me that someone would have over 300 games.
3DS FC:1375-8350-6103; Switch FC: 5454-0571-3814
Mii Name: Luigi; NNID: MARIOS_BRO123

Gargomon251
2 months ago#15
LuigiFan835 posted...
You can always buy two SD Cards. I actually have around 240-260 games or so, though at least 40 of them are retail. So it's not that unreasonable to me that someone would have over 300 games.

Yes, yes it is. I don't even own 300 steam games. And most of those are under 10 dollars.

My entire activity log currently contains less than 200 games, even counting DS titles and ~100 demos
u/Gargomon251

User Info: LuigiFan835

LuigiFan835
2 months ago#16
Gargomon251 posted...
LuigiFan835 posted...

Yes, yes it is. I don't even own 300 steam games. And most of those are under 10 dollars.

My entire activity log currently contains less than 200 games, even counting DS titles and ~100 demos

Good for you, I assume you pass on the shovelware?
3DS FC:1375-8350-6103; Switch FC: 5454-0571-3814
Mii Name: Luigi; NNID: MARIOS_BRO123

Gargomon251
2 months ago#17
LuigiFan835 posted...
Gargomon251 posted...
LuigiFan835 posted...

Good for you, I assume you pass on the shovelware?

Obviously. Like any sane person on a budget.
u/Gargomon251

User Info: arczero_x

arczero_x
2 months ago#18
Inhuman-Art posted...
desaigamon posted...

Inhuman-Art posted...

Ahh, well s*** I'll just get another 32 gb and put all of my Indies and small games on that.

Also 300 games. I've about 1300 on steam. I work in the industry and am a lead concept artist as well as a developer, I buy a lot of games to see what's out there. Also I don't know why I buy them half the time or what in the hell chicken wiggle even was but I just bought that for some reason. It will become relevant to me at some point lol

I really need to stop. Done with steam purchases, I've enough genres to compare for a long, long time.

I would say it's not good for you, but you're doing good for the industry since you support it regardless if you actually play the games you get or not.
http://backloggery.com/arczero
Whatever that is on your mind is my signature.

User Info: grape89

grape89
2 months ago#19
I would personally just buy another console, since switching between sd cards must be a pain.
I mainly play minecraft, ACNL, and overwatch!
2079-8441-7606 Mayor Henry from N00blet, Grape89 on Xbox Live, and Luminant on Minecraft!

User Info: bungiefan

bungiefan
2 months ago#20
You can buy as many as you want, but you can only have 300 installed at once, and folders, badges, and items inside folders count toward the limit. The limit is in the NAND memory on the system motherboard, not per SD card. The limit is because the home menu icon locations are stored in a database, and the database only has 300 rows for information, tracking what icon is in which home menu position. Nintendo has chosen not to expand it, probably for some sort of compatibility reason.

You can always shuffle what games are currently installed, as uninstalling a game removes the database entry, freeing it up for something else.0-172 posted...

I_like_BigButts posted...
stupidest limit ever.

Im sure the limited amount of system memory has something to do with it.

Yes, depending on model of 3DS, there is only 1 or 2 GB of NAND memory, which is used to store the operating system, DSiWare titles, settings for various system apps, tickets for software and DLC you have purchased, and the Home Menu icon location database. The 1 GB units on latest firmware only have about 200 MB of free space. Some of that is reserved for DSiWare, which also has its own limit on icons.

They picked 300 as the limit because it is hard to reach that on the size of SD card they officially support, which is 32 GB. Up to 512 GB works, but is not officially supported since you have to prepare the card with a computer first. Anything larger than a 128 GB card risks you reaching the limit fairly easily.
http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/wrines88
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. 300 game download limit

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived