why does the idea of replacing the 3ds completely with the Switch upset people?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. why does the idea of replacing the 3ds completely with the Switch upset people?

User Info: Izzythewinner

Izzythewinner
2 months ago#1
games would clearly perform much better... putting alliance alive on it which is still a great 3ds game coming couldve just been put on the switch instead for example.
Also Known as IzzyTheWhiner by Bad users!
- Izzy The Winner, Best GameFaqs User

User Info: Ben111

Ben111
2 months ago#2
1.Paid online
2.Games are 50% more expensive
3.No dual screens
4.Not a fully available touch screen
5.Console is 300$
6.Greedy Paid online
My 3ds friend code is 2852-7795-4118

User Info: irulethegalaxy

irulethegalaxy
2 months ago#3
Izzythewinner posted...
games would clearly perform much better... putting alliance alive on it which is still a great 3ds game coming couldve just been put on the switch instead for example.

Again, that's a game that's been in development for a while now--long before the switch. Yanking a game that's nearly through development and nearing release to change it COMPLETELY for a new console (no 2nd screen, different resolution, new engine) basically means cancelling that game. Doing such things ESPECIALLY with a jump over handheld to home system is rarely if ever done. And doing so delays the game for a very long time. And that's before we even talk about the money that it costs to rework the game, which can be huge. 3DS and Switch don't run on the same sort of engines, suddenly switching the game from 3DS to Switch would basically mean scrapping everything except art and sound assets and reworking from scratch.

The 3DS is winding down, but yes, games will still come out for it probably for the next year or so. It is NOT feasible to just chuck aside a couple years of work on a game to restart it for a new system. This is especially true with smaller companies (basically ones not called "Nintendo" or "Square Enix"). Porting is not a magical or free process.
Friend Code: 5155-2976-5976

User Info: ZeldaFan14

ZeldaFan14
2 months ago#4
Ben111 posted...
1.Paid online
3.No dual screens
5.Console is 300$
6.Greedy Paid online

This. Also the stupid joy-cons.
https://i.imgur.com/PZZg302.gif

User Info: roseybjb

roseybjb
2 months ago#5
some people don't have the money to buy the switch, or some cannot find any around in there area

Izzythewinner
2 months ago#6
the 3ds is immensely a dated peice of hardware... the switch seems to do everything vastly better, i love my 3ds, but i feel like its time is at an end, what with the switch being a completely superior handheld, capable of giving multiplayer on the go and many more other facts as to why its true.

1.Paid online

its to be expected. you are going to get a better service if its paid. the online to 3ds or any handheld up to this point has been complete trash, not to mention in most cases, anything worth getting ended up as a microtransaction anyways. (although MH was always free content somehow)

more like 25-30%... most 3ds games are 40$ and switch games are 60$, and besides, switch games double up as console games too, so honestly i say this is a great trade off in the switchs' favor.

3.No dual screens

good freaking riddence. it was gimmicky crap like that, which was preventing games from getting multiplatform releases in the first place.since the switch doesnt have that crap, we can expect to see more multiplatform games. 1 screen always worked in the past with every other gaming device, i doubt the loss of one will be a problem. and besides, the constant closing and opening of "clamshell" portables wear down the hinges over time, causing the top screen to get flappy and frayed. so farewell to that flawed design.

well thats just simply wrong so no need to comment here.

5.Console is 300$

and new 3ds handhelds are 50$ less then that.. considering all the features you get from the switch (console style graphics, couch multiplayer, better everything pretty much) i would say crying about the 50$ more is a joke argument, and you are using this as a desperate excuse, unless u are that cheap.

6.Greedy Paid online

you already mentioned this in your first bullet point... refer to what i said in the first response.

User Info: JustABox

JustABox
2 months ago#7
Because the battery life of the Switch as a dedicated handheld is terrible. The average battery life is around 2 and a half to 3 hours.
Favorite Series: Valkyria Chronicles, Metal Gear Solid, Trails of Cold Steel, Metroid, Devil May Cry, YS
Still foolishly hoping for Skies of Arcadia sequel

Izzythewinner
2 months ago#8
JustABox posted...
Because the battery life of the Switch as a dedicated handheld is terrible. The average battery life is around 2 and a half to 3 hours.

probably the only fair argument you can use against the switch, but personally, i havent had much of an issue with it yet, just bring a charger

User Info: Freelance_Wolf

Freelance_Wolf
2 months ago#9
Izzythewinner posted...
the 3ds is immensely a dated peice of hardware...

Why does this even matter? I still play GB games, and GBA games, and retro PC games. Dated tech means nothing to me. Remember that 'newer' isn't always 'better.'

The Switch is a console first and foremost, with console-based prices and paid online. I only play handhelds and PC games now. Consoles no longer interest me. If Nintendo/Sony/whoever makes a new dedicated handheld, I'll be there. Until then. I will keep playing, and enjoying my 'outdated tech.'

User Info: SonGaton

SonGaton
2 months ago#10
Because I like my 3DS.
Don't play dumb with me, you're not as good at it as I am.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. why does the idea of replacing the 3ds completely with the Switch upset people?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived