How to reset a New 3DS XL and a game as if it was brand new?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. How to reset a New 3DS XL and a game as if it was brand new?

User Info: xTyrant---

xTyrant---
2 months ago#1
I'm trying to reset my New 3DS XL and my Pokemon Sun game as it they were completely brand new and just came out of the box. How would I do so? Would I also have to unlink my NNID/Nintendo Account from the 3DS before restoring it? If so, how so?

Basically I want to get rid of my current NNID and Nintendo account. I want to unlink them from my 3DS device, restore the 3DS, and then make a brand new Nintendo Account and NNID on the newly-restored 3DS.

User Info: irulethegalaxy

irulethegalaxy
2 months ago#2
For the console, you'll go into the settings and do a system format. Resetting the game is Up + X + B at the title screen.

You might need to call Nintendo to unlink the NNID; try doing a system format first and if that doesn't work, you'll have to call.

ETA: Is there an issue with online with Sun? If you got banned, then the console (and game?) are tagged and resetting doesn't fix that.
Friend Code: 5155-2976-5976

User Info: Kureno

Kureno
2 months ago#3
You don't. You delete the NNID you lose everything tied to it. Game, eShop balance, EVERYTHING. It actually tells you this in no uncertain terms when you make the NNID.
List of things that don't matter on GFAQs: Japan, sales, reviews, released games, upcoming games, censorship that doesn't involve asses and/or little girls.

xTyrant---
2 months ago#4
irulethegalaxy posted...
For the console, you'll go into the settings and do a system format. Resetting the game is Up + X + B at the title screen.

You might need to call Nintendo to unlink the NNID; try doing a system format first and if that doesn't work, you'll have to call.

ETA: Is there an issue with online with Sun? If you got banned, then the console (and game?) are tagged and resetting doesn't fix that.

I did not get banned. I just want to start fresh on the 3DS and on the game since my brother has been playing on it as well up until now.

Kureno posted...
You don't. You delete the NNID you lose everything tied to it. Game, eShop balance, EVERYTHING. It actually tells you this in no uncertain terms when you make the NNID.

So when I delete the NNID it unlinks that and the Nintendo Account from the 3DS itself? Are you sure?

xTyrant---
2 months ago#5
bump

User Info: bungiefan

bungiefan
2 months ago#6
xTyrant--- posted...
I'm trying to reset my New 3DS XL and my Pokemon Sun game as it they were completely brand new and just came out of the box. How would I do so? Would I also have to unlink my NNID/Nintendo Account from the 3DS before restoring it? If so, how so?

Basically I want to get rid of my current NNID and Nintendo account. I want to unlink them from my 3DS device, restore the 3DS, and then make a brand new Nintendo Account and NNID on the newly-restored 3DS.

If you uninstall and reinstall the game, it deletes the save file. If you delete the NNID, you lose all games linked to that NNID and cannot reinstall them without buying them again. Reformatting the 3DS via System Reset in the menu sets it back up to the state when you first pulled it out of the box, with no NNID linked, but all games from the old NNID will be gone as well. There is no way to use a different NNID and keep the games from the old one. Deleting an NNID is permanent, and is as good as throwing your game purchases in the trash and burning them, you won't get them or the money spent on them back. You can't even sign into it on another console and get access to the games. Just resetting the console unlinks the NNID without deleting it.
http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/wrines88

xTyrant---
2 months ago#7
bungiefan posted...
xTyrant--- posted...

If you uninstall and reinstall the game, it deletes the save file. If you delete the NNID, you lose all games linked to that NNID and cannot reinstall them without buying them again. Reformatting the 3DS via System Reset in the menu sets it back up to the state when you first pulled it out of the box, with no NNID linked, but all games from the old NNID will be gone as well. There is no way to use a different NNID and keep the games from the old one. Deleting an NNID is permanent, and is as good as throwing your game purchases in the trash and burning them, you won't get them or the money spent on them back. You can't even sign into it on another console and get access to the games. Just resetting the console unlinks the NNID without deleting it.

I literally only bought one game with that NNID account, and it was $10. And I have the Pokemon Sun cartridge (not the digital download). I won't lose access to Pokemon Sun or something, right? Only the digital games that were purchased with my NNID?

So to just unlink everything from the 3DS and to have it as if it was brand new and out of the box, I only have to delete the NNID and format the system settings? Thats all?

User Info: bungiefan

bungiefan
2 months ago#8
If it is a cartridge game, you can't erase the save easily. You would just start a new game and save over the old file. Nothing on the cartridge is linked to the NNID.

You don't even have to delete the NNID. You can just do System Reset from the Settings app and the NNID will be unlinked anyway. Local link is all that matters. Multiple NNIDs can be linked to the same system on the server, so that isn't an issue.
http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/wrines88

xTyrant---
2 months ago#9
bungiefan posted...
If it is a cartridge game, you can't erase the save easily. You would just start a new game and save over the old file. Nothing on the cartridge is linked to the NNID.

You don't even have to delete the NNID. You can just do System Reset from the Settings app and the NNID will be unlinked anyway. Local link is all that matters. Multiple NNIDs can be linked to the same system on the server, so that isn't an issue.

Local link? What is that?

And ok, so I would just format the system settings on the 3DS and it would be as if it just came out of the box with nothing linked to it? Is that correct?

xTyrant---
2 months ago#10
BUmp
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. How to reset a New 3DS XL and a game as if it was brand new?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived