Is it possible to use cheats for 3DS games?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Is it possible to use cheats for 3DS games?

User Info: Chaos_LightDark

Chaos_LightDark
1 month ago#1
That doesn't require an external device and doesn't require me to mod my console.

Why do I want to know this? (pointless blog below, skip if uninterested):

Well, basically I got a little too comfy with my cheat happy dolphin version of Xenoblade, that I felt it was tedious going back to my legit 3DS copy, so that's why I'm asking. For the record, it's unlikely I'll cheat anyway if either point of the first line of this post is confirmed.

And once again, I own 2 legit hard copies of the Wii version of Xenoblade, so no one get angry, please.

User Info: sumostickfigure

sumostickfigure
1 month ago#2
No, what you're looking for pretty much stopped being a thing once console manufacturers could update a system's firmware. You'll need either a powersaves device (for physical copies of games) or find out how to mod your system if you want to cheat.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.
http://i.imgur.com/Vgmi3.gif

Chaos_LightDark
1 month ago#3
sumostickfigure posted...
No, what you're looking for pretty much stopped being a thing once console manufacturers could update a system's firmware.

So basically, the Wii was the last thing that could do this.

You'll need either a powersaves device (for physical copies of games) or find out how to mod your system if you want to cheat.

Is powersave a save file editor technically?

User Info: LuigiFan835

LuigiFan835
1 month ago#4
Is powersave a save file editor technically?

Yeah. Put your cartridge into the powersaves, put your powersaves into your computer, and then you can load preset saves onto your cartridge. In certain games like Pokémon there are special techniques you can do with item loading and trashing to get any Pokémon you want but I don’t think there’s any elaborate cheats available for Xenoblade
3DS FC:1375-8350-6103; Switch FC: 5454-0571-3814; NNID: MARIOS_BRO123
"Mario and Luigi Paper Jam is better then Paper Mario TTYD" -SeamusOHassey

User Info: bungiefan

bungiefan
1 month ago#5
Encrypted system storage, digitally-signed applications, and firmware updates have essentially killed commercial cheat devices, except for cartridge games that store the save file in the cartridge. Since you can't run something like Action Replay before running your game, due to Nintendo not granting permission for the application to be on the shop, external devices you plug your cartridges into are the only option.

PowerSaves doesn't let you edit your saves yourself. It connects to Datel's servers with an encrypted connection and lets you download preset saves with things done to them, or upload your save, let the server process changes you want to it, and sends the save back to your device.

So cheats and save edits the way you used to do them on PS2, GBA, and older consoles now requires custom firmware to let you run a cheat application in memory (usually added to the main OS) or so you can decrypt your saves, edit them with an editor on the console or on your PC, and then encrypt them again so the game will recognize them.

So unfortunately both of your qualifications stop you from having access to do it. You have to buy something else or you have to modify your system.
http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/wrines88

User Info: Zero_Maniac

Zero_Maniac
1 month ago#6
Chaos_LightDark posted...

But even the Wii got system updates...
"Remember kid, there's heroes and there's legends. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. Follow your heart kid, and you'll never go wrong."

Chaos_LightDark
1 month ago#7
Zero_Maniac posted...
Chaos_LightDark posted...

But even the Wii got system updates...

Up to a point...

User Info: Zero_Maniac

Zero_Maniac
1 month ago#8
If I remember right, the Wii didn't have cheat devices for the longest time.

Also, just because systems are capable of system updates doesn't mean cheat devices are futile. All that has to happen is the system becomes unsupported, and the dev moves on. Companies make devices for the system on the latest fw. Boom.
"Remember kid, there's heroes and there's legends. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. Follow your heart kid, and you'll never go wrong."
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Is it possible to use cheats for 3DS games?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived