Is this copy of Soul Silver fake?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Is this copy of Soul Silver fake?

User Info: ponyseizures

ponyseizures
1 month ago#1
Fake? https://imgur.com/gallery/qzK9y
4124-4997-6171

User Info: Ben111

Ben111
1 month ago#2
I think it is fake. My soul silver has a much darker cartridge.
My 3ds friend code is 2852-7795-4118

User Info: soetem

soetem
1 month ago#3
Kinda hard to tell with that lighting, but I know hgss cartridges are a very very deep black. Almost transparent black and much darker than a normal ds cart. Turn it around, on a real hgss cart you should be able to kind of see through the dark black on the back and see some redish color inside the cart that you can't see on a normal ds game. I think it was IR sensor stuff for the pokewalker.
Rings do nothing unless worn!

User Info: irulethegalaxy

irulethegalaxy
1 month ago#4
Hard to tell with those pics. They're washed out. But the above poster is right--the HGSS carts are dark with a red bit on top for the pokewalker. I think it's probably fake. Also, the Soul Silver sticker should start off light at the top and go darkest grey at the bottom--yours has darker grey at top and bottom and a pale stripe in the middle. It's almost certainly fake.

It's often easier to spot a fake by comparing the back of the carts--how the font looks, the embossing, etc. The manufacturer of fakes generally take a lot less care with that.

Here's a good site with some pics of real carts and some fairly good fakes: https://pokemonessentials.wordpress.com/2014/02/04/spotting-fake-counterfeit-pokemon-games/
I used this when shopping for my carts. Honestly HG/SS are fakes SO often on ebay, the best way to get a real cart is to look for one that comes with the box and pokewalker. Yeah, it's more expensive, but it's probably legit. You'll save by finding one that has a pokewalker with a DEAD battery. Batteries are standard and take about 30 seconds to replace.
Friend Code: 5155-2976-5976

User Info: ecylis

ecylis
1 month ago#5
The cartridge seems a little light, but it also seems like there are some slight misalignments compared to my legit copy. The top of the ESRB logo on mine is parallel with about the center of the "version" text but seems to be just below it on your pic. The serial # is perfectly vertically aligned on my copy but seems a bit high in the pic

irulethegalaxy posted...
Also, the Soul Silver sticker should start off light at the top and go darkest grey at the bottom--yours has darker grey at top and bottom and a pale stripe in the middle.

Also this
http://i.imgur.com/UgOcJQG.jpg

User Info: ponyseizures

ponyseizures
1 month ago#6
The cartridge is definitely grey and not black. I've seen the real Soul Silver before but I'm not sure if there were multiple prints with different color cartridges like Ocarina of Time.

I'm buying these from a dude on marketplace.
4124-4997-6171

User Info: irulethegalaxy

irulethegalaxy
1 month ago#7
ponyseizures posted...
The cartridge is definitely grey and not black. I've seen the real Soul Silver before but I'm not sure if there were multiple prints with different color cartridges like Ocarina of Time.

I'm buying these from a dude on marketplace.

AFAIK, no. And any legit copy would have the pokewalker capability, so if that reddish plastic isn't at the top (hold it up to a light source to see it), it's a fake 100%.
Friend Code: 5155-2976-5976

User Info: IcyWind14

IcyWind14
1 month ago#8
ponyseizures posted...

It didn't. The darker colouration of the HGSS carts are due to the IR sensor in it. When held up to light, the black actually turns a dark, translucent red. A HGSS cart that's the same colour as a Platinum cart is definitely fake.
Not changing this sig until Capcom starts giving a damn about Mega Man again.

User Info: ranran-001

ranran-001
1 month ago#9
If you can examine the nintendo quality seal on the cartirdge under a magnifying glass, the logo is printed with gold metallic ink. If it's not, then either the cart is fake, or the label is fake.

User Info: PerfectHeadshot

PerfectHeadshot
1 month ago#10
It is 100% fake.
You can tell because:
1) The nintendo quality seal doesn't have a TM on the bottom right of the logo.
2) The cartridge is gray (and not black)
3) The soul silver logo is blurry.
What's with the pirate hate any way? They go argh and steal booty from people's ships and don't forget about their parrots!
-Zalker
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Is this copy of Soul Silver fake?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived