Is this a fair assessment of the Layton series as a whole?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Is this a fair assessment of the Layton series as a whole?

User Info: Justice98405

Justice98405
1 month ago#1
So I got the first game, DS's Curious Village, and I like the concept behind it, and some of the puzzles and brain-teasers are up my alley, and others are not and I get totally stumped. And I know there's the hint system and such to help with that.

I'm just wondering for the rest of the DS games and the 3DS entries, is the overall setup and nature of the puzzle/mind-teaser types more or less the same, or has there been significant changes in later games of the series?

I know the Layton/Ace Attorney game is a combo of those two series' styles. I have that one too (haven't played it yet, as I want to play more of the Ace Attorney games first).
To the mattresses.
3DS code: 2621-3902-1737, PSN (Vita): Justice_98405, Steam: psn_justice_98405, Battle.net (Diablo III/RoS): Justice#1912.

User Info: MawiocUdwoc

MawiocUdwoc
1 month ago#2
I can't speak for the 3DS games since I haven't played them, but regarding the DS games the overall setup is similar in all 4 games, although some types of puzzles differ (and of course, the minigames). For example, Curious Village has several matchstick ones and the other entries have none of the sort.

Each entry has a few changes but nothing really major.

User Info: Klon_Redfield

Klon_Redfield
1 month ago#3
Series took a major jump in gameplay quality and puzzles in the second entry, which is a better representative of the series as a whole. If you don't like diabolical box don't bother with the rest.

User Info: Rygon

Rygon
1 month ago#4
I think Curious Village puzzles aren't quite like the later entries. That first one was mostly trick questions as I recall. Like first think of the logical solution, fail, then find the twist in the wording.
http://backloggery.com/war_lion108

User Info: Cocco

Cocco
1 month ago#5
Klon_Redfield posted...
Series took a major jump in gameplay quality and puzzles in the second entry, which is a better representative of the series as a whole. If you don't like diabolical box don't bother with the rest.

User Info: Bald_Money

Bald_Money
1 month ago#6
For the first four, pretty much.

User Info: Seacliff217

Seacliff217
1 month ago#7
Cocco posted...
Klon_Redfield posted...

This. The franchise does a good job improving itself each entry without starting over with a clean slate.

User Info: Blayshy

Blayshy
1 month ago#8
Seacliff217 posted...
Cocco posted...
Klon_Redfield posted...

This. The franchise does a good job improving itself each entry without starting over with a clean slate.

...Until the seventh game destroyed that.
Uh... A-Are you sure to interact with others?
-Mario, Ganondorf, Sonic, Bowser Jr. / Wendy, Duck Hunt, Marth, Mewtwo Mainer.

User Info: Mr Crispy

Mr Crispy
1 month ago#9
I thought the puzzles got easier and easier as the series went along for the most part. Though I also thought the puzzles in general were pretty easy outside of the siliding puzzles which require more effort and manipulation to solve, so we're not talking about some big difference in difficulty.

However, iirc the first game had more puzzles based on classic puzzles (the seven bridge problem, n queens, tower of hanoi) that are commonly taught in school so they would be fairly rote if you are already familiar with how to solve them but might be trickier for tbose that aren't because they are a bit more involved than the puzzles that are easy to guess through once you are familiar with how the game asks questions.
The only certain death in the universe is Mother Hitton's Littul Kittons.
Not changing this line until I beat Seven Heroes (2/24/07)

User Info: Seacliff217

Seacliff217
1 month ago#10
Blayshy posted...
Seacliff217 posted...
Cocco posted...
Klon_Redfield posted...

...Until the seventh game destroyed that.

For some reason that game completely slipped my mind.

Nothing against it. Just odd.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Is this a fair assessment of the Layton series as a whole?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived