If I buy DLC on a physical cartridge, can it be used on a digital one?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. If I buy DLC on a physical cartridge, can it be used on a digital one?

User Info: Dalkin

Dalkin
1 month ago#1
I'm getting a Switch with Mario Odyssey next week, but there's 2 other Switch games I want. I can't really justify buying 3 games at once (plus a console), so I'm considering taking advantage of EB Games Trade In. I collect games, and I very rarely part with them willingly. I need three games, so I've chosen Mario Kart 8 (as I'm replacing it on the Switch with Deluxe), and Splatoon (since there's Splatoon 2 now, and I'd be willing to bet that because it's an online multiplayer game on Wii U, it won't be active for much longer).

And... on 3DS I was considering parting with Triforce Heroes since that game is awful and isn't active online... However, Runbow Pocket is also an eligible title. The thing with Runbow pocket is that it's easy/inconsequential to replace since it's a $15 e-shop game. The physical version however, came with codes to unlock all the DLC. I used it, but I'm wondering that if I got the digital version, that I would still be able to use the DLC?
-This post is in no way shape or form a TOS violation-

User Info: PsychoWolfX

PsychoWolfX
1 month ago#2
When Treasure Trove DLC for Shovel Knight came out I had to wait for the Digital update even after it was up for Physical copies.
I'm not sure if this is always the case. Hopefully someone else here will know for sure.
Love conquers everything ... except knives, swords, axes, guns, spears, fists, rocks, strong gusts of wind, and/or dangerous wild animals.

User Info: bungiefan

bungiefan
1 month ago#3
The DLC is tied to your account, not the physical game. It works for physical and digital versions
http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/wrines88

User Info: irulethegalaxy

irulethegalaxy
1 month ago#4
bungiefan posted...
The DLC is tied to your account, not the physical game. It works for physical and digital versions

Only exception I know is the aforementioned Shovel Knight, but that DLC is free anyway. So yeah, you should be fine.
Friend Code: 5155-2976-5976
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. If I buy DLC on a physical cartridge, can it be used on a digital one?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived