Anyone else thinking Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon could do kinda bad?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Anyone else thinking Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon could do kinda bad?

User Info: Kyle1022

Kyle1022
1 month ago#1
Both critically and commercially? I don't mean in general... they're mainline Pokemon games, so they're guaranteed 5+ million sales and 80+ on metacritic. I mean relative to other mainline Pokemon games.

If these two games combined for about 5 million sales and both got an 80 on metacritic, that would be good for your average game, but pretty disappointing for mainline Pokemon games. Though it would be an absolute worst case scenario, I could see Ultra Sun/Moon putting up these kinds of numbers.

There's just no hype for these games whatsoever compared to last year, when everyone and their mother were anticipating Sun/Moon. And with the Switch, Mario Odyssey, and the SNES Classic stealing some of the spotlight this holiday, it's not out of the realm of possibility for Ultra Sun/Moon to underperform relative to other mainline Pokemon games.
GTX 980 | i7-4770k @ 4.0 GHz | 16gb RAM
Switch | Wii U | Wii | GC | N64 | SNES | NES | PSTV | PS4 | PS3 | PS2 | PS1 | 360 | N3DS | DSi | GBA | GBC | Vita | PSP

User Info: Kromlech06

Kromlech06
1 month ago#2
If 10 million sales is bad then yes they will do badly.
No nothing no creole.

User Info: Kyle1022

Kyle1022
1 month ago#3
B2/W2 only did 8 million, and that was on a system with double the install base of the 3DS. What makes you so sure that Ultra Sun/Moon will do 10 million?
GTX 980 | i7-4770k @ 4.0 GHz | 16gb RAM
Switch | Wii U | Wii | GC | N64 | SNES | NES | PSTV | PS4 | PS3 | PS2 | PS1 | 360 | N3DS | DSi | GBA | GBC | Vita | PSP

User Info: allaboutpokemon

allaboutpokemon
1 month ago#4
im more hyped for ultra sun/moon than the first ones. with sun/moon, i didnt know how i would like the removal of gym battles and some of the new features, but they grew on me. now that i know what this region is about, i can get excited for the wormhole story and for the new pokemon they are introducing mid gen, which has not been done before and they still have not release the new pokemon. so that has created mystery and is making me anticipate these more.

i can agree that there isnt this sense of hype for ultra sun/moon. people didnt like the new totem pokemon challenges which was easier than traditional gyms and the ultra beast were just thrown in. thats turned people off, but i think the ultra games will fix this. a big part, i think, is the switch. people have moved on to the switch, nintendo is putting almost all their focus into the switch, and the 3ds just feels dated graphically.

as history has shown us, pokemon games sell really well. black/white 2 came out on ds when 3ds was already out and still put out big numbers. even though hype isnt as big, pokemon ultra sun/moon will be fine.
peace?.....no peace.
FC: 4270-1513-8646

User Info: BinBinricecake

BinBinricecake
1 month ago#5
Kromlech06 posted...
If 10 million sales is bad then yes they will do badly.

Mean while, some other game studios be like:
"Whoo, we hit 500k sales! Success!"
/BinBinricecake - Morgan - Warrior/~"You're brothers-in-nobody's-arms. Family that's lonely together is bro-nly together"
-Teddy

User Info: rusty12000

rusty12000
1 month ago#6
I kind of hope it does bad, that way mainline pokemon gets pushed to the Switch where it would do amazingly well.
Everything EA contributed to gamers around the world in one youtube clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBoesEFWZnM

User Info: LuigiFan835

LuigiFan835
1 month ago#7
rusty12000 posted...
I kind of hope it does bad, that way mainline pokemon gets pushed to the Switch where it would do amazingly well.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/19/ultra-sun-and-ultra-moon-will-be-the-last-pokemon-rpgs-for-3ds

It’s already confirmed that Pokémon is moving to the Switch after USUM
3DS FC:1375-8350-6103; Switch FC: 5454-0571-3814; NNID: MARIOS_BRO123
"Mario and Luigi Paper Jam is better then Paper Mario TTYD" -SeamusOHassey

User Info: supremeblaster

supremeblaster
1 month ago#8
I'm almost certain it's going to do at least relatively bad. There's quite a lot of negative opinions on it throughout social media that it looks super bland. A lot of people were also turned off by Sun/Moon and don't care for another title of the same thing.

Not that that actually means anything in the long run. It's an incredibly low effort title that's going to easily make 100x(literally) its actual budget even with heavily decreased sales. They pretty much can't lose with Pokemon.
I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero. I have always only fought for the people I believe in. ~Zero

User Info: RosalinaIsLove

RosalinaIsLove
1 month ago#9
Never going to happen. Even the worst selling Pokemon mainline game did much better than a huge portion of the entire library.

That game is Pokemon Crystal by the way.
Rosalina farting pants pooping toots

User Info: Zero_Maniac

Zero_Maniac
1 month ago#10
No, it's Pokemon. People like it simply because it's Pokemon.

That said, I wish it would do badly. It's the second most overrated franchise behind Mario.
"Remember kid, there's heroes and there's legends. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. Follow your heart kid, and you'll never go wrong."
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Anyone else thinking Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon could do kinda bad?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived