Games that are hard to get into or just overrated

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Games that are hard to get into or just overrated

User Info: TallTamryu

TallTamryu
3 weeks ago#51
Metastase posted...
what happens once you master those patterns and can execute the same exact strategy to win against a boss? Boredom of the repetition, that's what happens.

Hah, I so very much doubt you've mastered any monster's patterns that well at G rank for it to become boring.
"Guys don't treat girls right, that's why the lesbian rate's going up"

User Info: itis41269

itis41269
3 weeks ago#52
STEAM was hit or miss and got a lot of hate
"Destiny by sinner sought , Tragedy by power wrought "-M'booby
PSN:whatitis4u/friend code:0834-1025-1958/GT:XwhatitisX

User Info: shinyspheal

shinyspheal
3 weeks ago#53
QueenTakhisis posted...
And no offense, but I really don't get why people insist FF Explorers are nothing like Monster Hunter. It's nearly identical in every way. In both games:

- You have a hub where you get missions rated by stars.
- You have a time limit to finish the mission
- You hunt big monsters
- You have a small NPC joining you if you play solo
- You kill stuff to get materials to craft better stuff
- All weapon types are just as good, only different

How on earth is FF Explorers "not like AT ALL" to Monster Hunter? It's nearly identical in every way? You might as well say Tekken is nothing like Street Fighter AT ALL.

Oh boy... have you played both games? I have and I see big differences in both franchises, sure, all those you mentioned are valid but I'd say that's where the similarities end, FF:E is like a watered down version of MH, I'd get why some people might prefer it, but to me it was a walk in the park and not really that interesting, they are vastly different once you play them, they are similar on paper, once you play them, they are totally different.

Also, I think Street Fighter and Tekken are also vastly different, something tells me you haven't played them.
MHPortable 3rd AGGL true Legend. I am one of the real main reasons Bushido & Brave Gunlancing exists today on MHX/X. Please show appropriate respect. Thx.

User Info: Metastase

Metastase
3 weeks ago#54
@TallTamryu
"Hah, I so very much doubt you've mastered any monster's patterns that well at G rank for it to become boring."

Even if the boredom takes gradual steps to sink in, the fact that the novelty and interest in the gameplay decays over time remains and for some people like me it's enough of an issue to not care about the game after a certain point. More importantly, the game had already failed me repeatedly much earlier than that: if you have to fight the same boss 5 times to complete your armor set, the issue is alredy there and aggravating the player interest even before he moves on to other bosses, at which point some people just think it's not worth the hassle.

@QueenTakhisis

This is why game critics say that grouping game genres by mechanical similarities is a bad idea, it's not enough to inform player experience or target audience.

For instance, Limbo and Mario are both 2D side-scrolling platformers with jumping mechanics and other similarities but they appeal to different demographics and types of gamers. They are nothing alike beyond the surface level. On the same vein, Portal is built on a FPS engine but it's core experience is about spatial puzzles despite the FPS camera/movement/controls/aiming.

Likewise, the core experience of Monster Hunter and FF Explorers offer drastically different experiences.

Monster Hunter's core experience is about patience, carefully looking for openings and memorizing enemy patterns, taking action on a risk VS reward experience based on mastering the time it takes to execute each action and whether or not you'll be able to pull it off in time. It is meant to be challenging and mentally taxing. It appeals to very hardcore gamers.

FF Explorers is about using Buffs at the proper times, maximizing your DPS, managing cooldowns. It borrows conveniences from the MH series because of the popularity of the former franchise and because it was practical to do so (hub town/mission system/etc) but the core experience is nothing alike. It is meant to mimic staples of MMORPGs in a bite-sized, portable experience, focused on a grind that is meant to appeal to a broader audience and fans of the FF series (specially of FF 11, 12 and 14).

User Info: QueenTakhisis

QueenTakhisis
3 weeks ago#55
shinyspheal posted...
Also, I think Street Fighter and Tekken are also vastly different, something tells me you haven't played them.
Aaaaaand you lost all credibitily. No offense.
"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is the fear of the unknown."
~ H.P. Lovecraft ~

User Info: GamerPichu

GamerPichu
3 weeks ago#56
QueenTakhisis posted...
shinyspheal posted...
Aaaaaand you lost all credibitily. No offense.

No, YOU lost all credibitily. Could you explain to how they are identical.
"So adorable, you'll get diabetes!"-Kanji Tatsumi BBCF-Noel and Tsubaki T7-Lucky Chloe DOA5LR-Mai

User Info: Link3

Link3
3 weeks ago#57
I want to believe the post was a joke in light of the Street Fighter/Tekken comparison.

---

User Info: GenerationX-Men

GenerationX-Men
3 weeks ago#58
Phoenix Wright
With great responsibility comes great power.

User Info: IvoEska

IvoEska
3 weeks ago#59
Both the Bravely Default demos were a snore fest to me.

Majoras Mask is really fun to play after the first ten hours, and before that it's a chore. Every time I restart the game, getting to the "fun" part just takes too long and I get bored. By the time I come back I forget the gameplay loop... and repeat

Kid Icarus Uprising controls are asinine. Wonderful concept, but let my control the camera with the c-stick my god. Couldn't last very long with it.

And lastly - Super Mario 3d land. I explained to one of my friends that I didn't see the point in collecting stars since I didn't find it fun. He was like "...I don't think the Mario games are for you" lmao

User Info: shinyspheal

shinyspheal
3 weeks ago#60
IvoEska posted...
And lastly - Super Mario 3d land. I explained to one of my friends that I didn't see the point in collecting stars since I didn't find it fun. He was like "...I don't think the Mario games are for you" lmao

You don't collect stars in that game... I'm starting to believe many users here haven't even seen the games they don't like...
MHPortable 3rd AGGL true Legend. I am one of the real main reasons Bushido & Brave Gunlancing exists today on MHX/X. Please show appropriate respect. Thx.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Games that are hard to get into or just overrated

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived