Games that are hard to get into or just overrated

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Games that are hard to get into or just overrated
Questionmarktarius 3 weeks ago#71
Dark_Lawl posted...
The issue was they didn’t let you know how much you needed them for a long time.

I don't recall very many machguffin gates on the way, no.

User Info: lukeskywalker66

lukeskywalker66
3 weeks ago#72
iMURDAu posted...
GenerationX-Men posted...
Why weren't games like Super Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie criticized for being "collect-a-thons"?
Mario 64 took a lot of flak for not having many enemy encounters but wasn't really called out for being a collectathon.
Because it's not a collectathon. Stars in 64 are mission objectives and don't really compare to likes of collectibles in Rareware's games or PS1 games at the time. Only the coin hunt missions really count and that's a fractional / optional part of the game.
Anyone can believe in the truth. To believe in nonsense is a demonstration of loyalty... it serves as a uniform.
And if you have a uniform, you have an army.

User Info: PJ_Thorn

PJ_Thorn
3 weeks ago#73
I'll throw another chip into the MH4U pool. I picked it up a while ago to see what's the deal with the series. I've put in around 8 hours into it and I just can't see the appeal. It just feels so clunky.

I've beaten the dark souls games, so I'm familiar with difficult combat and the need to be patient and read enemies. And I've played a lot of loot-fest games with crafting and progression. But I just can't get into this one.

User Info: cymanx

cymanx
3 weeks ago#74
I'll vote on Monster Hunter games in general for being too hard to get into. Not so much difficulty, but in general.
vr6exyvr6exy wants to connect his PS4 to his mobile hot spot.

User Info: mymomisback

mymomisback
3 weeks ago#75
I dislike Xenoblade's fully turnbased MMO combat on an open world, but I love exploring that entire world

I dislike MH's small worlds and 40 min boss fights without health bars, but love the combat system and feeling of accomplishment taking out enemies..

If we could have Xenoblade's beautiful open world but with MH combat system instead of the MMO-lite... That would actually be best of both worlds for me lol *droooool*

User Info: Compass

Compass
3 weeks ago#76
Why weren't games like Super Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie criticized for being "collect-a-thons"?

BK absolutely was. And DK64 was when the worm really turned, and everyone tried to pretend how they were too cool for it. Even though everyone loves collecting things.

User Info: Link3

Link3
3 weeks ago#77
I actually never could get into BK because of that. And spent significantly more time on DK64's multiplayer than singleplayer largely for the same reason. Jet Force Gemini was good but then the whole Tribal thing ruined it. Conker was a big improvement (And the multiplayer was phenomenal, still pissed the Xbox remake replaced it) but it was already the end by then.

---

User Info: The_Ninjadillo

The_Ninjadillo
3 weeks ago#78

Banjo Kazooie made it very clear from the start that collecting things was your primary goal, whereas 3D Land made the Star Coins seem like easily skippable content.
Playing right now: Rune Factory 4

User Info: Metastase

Metastase
2 weeks ago#79
But even in the collect-a-thon parts of SM64 (DS), I still feel like it was done in a better way most of the time.

I mean, if you really think about it, red coins are like the focused, hardcore challenge collection inside a particular world and the 100 coin hunt is the opposite, an invitation to explore every nook and cranny for those who want to. Not to mention sometimes even that required some clever thinking to figure out where to get the last coins from, surely they were hidden somewhere. Those little "aha" moments made all the difference.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Games that are hard to get into or just overrated

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived