Is shin megami tensei iv apocalypse any good? I don't normally play Atlus games

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Is shin megami tensei iv apocalypse any good? I don't normally play Atlus games

User Info: ColdOne666

ColdOne666
4 weeks ago#1
Only Atlus games i have ever played where Etrian Mystery Dungeon and Stella Glow and they where both garbage.

1 had incredibly horrible ai and the other was pedo weaboo bait.

I do love Pokemon though and apparently this game is turn based and you catch lots of monsters.

Do you guys recommend it?
FFX is the best game of all time. The only good Nintendo franchises are Pokemon and Fire Emblem. Comics are for kids. https://i.imgur.com/LJ3WSyB.gif

User Info: linkaegar

linkaegar
4 weeks ago#2
Yes, but it's recommended that you play vanilla Shin Megami Tensei IV first, because Apocalypse is essentially IV-2.
Currently Playing: FE Heroes, Katrielle Layton, Doki Doki Literature Club, Overwatch
3DS: 0001-3636-3718 | Nintendo/PSN: Rwokkefeller

User Info: batinoari

batinoari
4 weeks ago#3
I never tried Stella Glow but the Atlus games i've played are pretty different from that. There are differences between pokémon and smt so maybe you wont find what you are looking for in there. Its still worth trying but probably with a different mindset.

User Info: lukeskywalker66

lukeskywalker66
4 weeks ago#4
ColdOne666 posted...
Only Atlus games i have ever played where Etrian Mystery Dungeon and Stella Glow and they where both garbage.
Atlus is the publisher, not developer of those games. They were developed by Spike Chunsoft and Imageepoch respectively. As it should be mentioned that EMD bears no gameplay resemblance to its superior parent series, Etrian Odyssey.

You don't actually "catch" monsters in SMT. You negotiate (which really amounts to bribing them) or fuse them. A handful can evolve if leveled but it's not the norm, and you can also rebuy demons after you've fused them. Demons level up slower than the player so usually you repeat the process of negotiation and fusion to keep them leveled.

If that sounds like your cup of tea (or at least, doesn't sound too bothersome) try SMT IV. If not just play EOIV, an Atlus title I have an easier time recommending.
Anyone can believe in the truth. To believe in nonsense is a demonstration of loyalty... it serves as a uniform.
And if you have a uniform, you have an army.

User Info: ColdOne666

ColdOne666
4 weeks ago#5
I like the monster collecting aspect of it lke Pokemon or Cyber Slueth. I dont like grindfests though.
FFX is the best game of all time. The only good Nintendo franchises are Pokemon and Fire Emblem. Comics are for kids. https://i.imgur.com/LJ3WSyB.gif

User Info: Harie0

Harie0
4 weeks ago#6
You should be fine then. Some grinding will be required from time to time as having the right moves really help out, and the there always a good chance yours may not be good enough, especially if you are starting out new to SMT games.
3DS FC: 2552-0845-5961

User Info: MrKunio

MrKunio
3 weeks ago#7
Man sorry to hear. You played 2 of the worst atlus games imo. Etrian mystery dungeon gets a pass from me just on principal alone (the game still sucks though) but i could never trust anyone who thinks stella glow is a good game. If you like stella glow, just stay away from me and my family.

I would rather have you play IV before apocalypse as it is the first and frontrunner of the series.

Also, if you did want to try etrian odyssey, i would reccomend EO4 on 3ds as its a great rpg and a good introduction to the series. Lot of character bulding, map making, and some of the best music.
Official Mr. Bousouzoku 1986
3DS Fc: Mr. Kunio - 3437-4087-1475

User Info: Im_Cherche

Im_Cherche
3 weeks ago#8
No. Go play something else.
Minerva says she still feels the Avatar is of this world...
Also that they smell delicious, but that's neither here nor there...

User Info: Shinstrike

Shinstrike
3 weeks ago#9
i would personally avoid Etrian games, but Stella Glow was not a terrible srpg.

As for SMTIV A it is definitely the best jrpg out on the 3DS right this instant. it is a game complete with a strong story, a turn based combat system that forces you to use your brain, and the music is amazing. Closest game to compare is SMTIV, which i almost want to say just skip so you get to the good stuff faster, but it helps to have played it so you can know who people are
SW- 5350-5649-8019, PSN/Steam ShinstrikeX, FC 2766 - 8993 - 3310

User Info: Mulate

Mulate
3 weeks ago#10
MrKunio posted...
If you like stella glow, just stay away from me and my family.

Lol wtf, do Gamefaqs ppl know where you live?
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Is shin megami tensei iv apocalypse any good? I don't normally play Atlus games

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived