Is resetting your save file recommended for RNG abuse in Pokemon?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Is resetting your save file recommended for RNG abuse in Pokemon?

User Info: 8Panda

8Panda
3 weeks ago#1
I want to try my hand in RNG abuse and I've heard that the Gen V games are a good starting point. I have a copy of White with all the legendaries and main story complete. Should I bother resetting to make full use of RNG abuse? Does the same apply to Gen III and IV?
People who talk too much don't do their talk. Braggers accomplish nothing.
3DS Friend code: 2277 7535 7800

User Info: LuigiFan835

LuigiFan835
3 weeks ago#2
RNG for what exactly?
3DS FC:1375-8350-6103; Switch FC: 5454-0571-3814; NNID: MARIOS_BRO123
"Mario and Luigi Paper Jam is factually better than PM:TTYD" -SeamusOHassey

User Info: shinyspheal

shinyspheal
3 weeks ago#3
If I'm not mistaken, gen 3 was the last one where you were able to abuse RNG, I'm probably wrong since it was years ago when I last checked, is it worth it? well, you have to look for some insane odds, and the payout is not really that great if you ask me, btw, where did you read/heard all of this, I also need to update myself on the matter.
MHPortable 3rd AGGL true Legend. I am one of the real main reasons Bushido & Brave Gunlancing exists today on MHX/X. Please show appropriate respect. Thx.

User Info: AkaneJones

AkaneJones
3 weeks ago#4
shinyspheal posted...
If I'm not mistaken, gen 3 was the last one where you were able to abuse RNG, I'm probably wrong since it was years ago when I last checked, is it worth it? well, you have to look for some insane odds, and the payout is not really that great if you ask me, btw, where did you read/heard all of this, I also need to update myself on the matter.

I'm pretty sure its still a thing for Breeding as in the player saves their game before they pick up the egg. Then hatch it to get particular things done. I only used to to get the Starter to being female in D/P/P and X/Y though. I haven't chain breed anything since 3rd gen, and specific gender breeds are down to luck since GTS trades don't last long enough use it.

Using it on Shinys isn't really useful since Gen 5 on have had shiny lock on the lots of Legendaries. You have to know which you could actually abuse RNG for shinys. Doing it on wild encounters isn't helpful, just keep searching it pretty much the same.

User Info: Acio29619

Acio29619
3 weeks ago#5
Do you have at most a DS Lite?

8Panda
3 weeks ago#6
Acio29619 posted...

Yup

Acio29619
3 weeks ago#7
8Panda posted...
Acio29619 posted...

Yup

Okay, having a DS Lite will make things easier. If you've already caught most Legendary Pokemon on your file then you'd probably want to start over yea. From what i remember most Legendary Pokemon that arent roamers are the easiest to practice on. That's not to say you cant learn by doing random encounters or eggs.

Yes, from what i remember it is easier to RNG on 5th gen than it is on 4th. And it's more important to RNG your file for 4th gen games than for 5th gen.

Have you looked at any guides or videos first already?

8Panda
3 weeks ago#8
Acio29619 posted...
8Panda posted...
Acio29619 posted...

Yup

Okay, having a DS Lite will make things easier. If you've already caught most Legendary Pokemon on your file then you'd probably want to start over yea. From what i remember most Legendary Pokemon that arent roamers are the easiest to practice on. That's not to say you cant learn by doing random encounters or eggs.

Yes, from what i remember it is easier to RNG on 5th gen than it is on 4th. And it's more important to RNG your file for 4th gen games than for 5th gen.

How about 3rd gen? I've reset my Sapphire copy and I am trying to get a specific ID number but I cannot seem to get the right frame. Should I stick with Gen V for now? Not sure how different it is.

Acio29619
3 weeks ago#9
8Panda posted...
Acio29619 posted...
8Panda posted...
Acio29619 posted...

Yup

How about 3rd gen? I've reset my Sapphire copy and I am trying to get a specific ID number but I cannot seem to get the right frame. Should I stick with Gen V for now? Not sure how different it is.

I have no experience with RNG in 3rd gen, so i cant help you there. From what i remember Black and White are the easiest to RNG out of anything.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Is resetting your save file recommended for RNG abuse in Pokemon?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived