Buying my two kids a N2DS each for Xmas. Can they share games?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Buying my two kids a N2DS each for Xmas. Can they share games?

User Info: The Rob

The Rob
3 weeks ago#1
I saw the sticky about transferring systems, I'm guessing that's only relevant if you're changing handhelds or something?

Planning to get them Mario Maker 3DS, NSMB2DS, Luigi's Mansion and maybe Mario Party Top 100.

I've got an original DS with like 2 games but the interface and functionality is pretty simple. I've been reading a bit about Download Play so I know they can co-op some games but is there anything in the new stuff that prevents sharing carts and whatnot? I've never been much for handhelds so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
<cite>RPG_Apostle posted...</cite>
SWTOR is all about the journey, WoW is all about the destination.

User Info: Patroeska

Patroeska
3 weeks ago#2
If you buy psysical cartridges, they can share, no problem.
Just don't download the games, since it will be tied to the system.
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche

The Rob
3 weeks ago#3
Oh. Excellent. Had me worried. eShop has come a long way since Wii (my last console). I'll have to do some more research on the eShop stuff. Thanks.

User Info: ZodiacSoldier

ZodiacSoldier
3 weeks ago#4
Like Patroeska said, just buy Physical games, then they can share.

Digital games is 1 system only, don't bother with System Transfer, thats only for when you upgrade / replace. You pretty much move all your game licenses and stuff to the new system, not really for what you need.

Some games have a feature called download play, which lets multiple people play with only 1 cartridge, you can check the list here (Sort by Download play available)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_3DS_Local_Multiplayer_games
PSN: ZodiacSoldierJL // 3DS FC: 3797-9082-8623 // 2DS FC: 0276-2240-8971
Switch FC: SW-6184-3549-7403 // FE Fates CC: 14211-52887-12563-84373

User Info: dextorboot

dextorboot
3 weeks ago#5
Getting physical games won't solve the issue of sharing for every game. Using Mario Maker on more than one system will reset the game every time, for instance. With most games you're safe though.

User Info: Trumpanzee

Trumpanzee
3 weeks ago#6
ZodiacSoldier posted...
just buy Physical games, then they can share

What about games with only one save slot like Pokemon? They would have to share a single save and that usually causes fights.
http://imgur.com/yhwKmWf http://imgur.com/HwJslCa http://imgur.com/thN3GU8
Nintendo Switch FC 1803-5725-9696

User Info: xyntek

xyntek
3 weeks ago#7
There are other games that have share play. It means with one copy they can share the multiplayer mode. I think Mario Kart 7 does it.
PSN: Xyntek | Xbox Live: Xyntek01

User Info: ZodiacSoldier

ZodiacSoldier
3 weeks ago#8
Trumpanzee posted...
ZodiacSoldier posted...
just buy Physical games, then they can share

What about games with only one save slot like Pokemon? They would have to share a single save and that usually causes fights.

Well for this you have to buy them one of each version of course. Sadly the Toy'R Us sale just ended, last week, they were doing a Nintendo sale, buy 1 game, get a 2nd for 40% off. Could get both US and UM for $65ish, instead of $85ish
PSN: ZodiacSoldierJL // 3DS FC: 3797-9082-8623 // 2DS FC: 0276-2240-8971
Switch FC: SW-6184-3549-7403 // FE Fates CC: 14211-52887-12563-84373

The Rob
3 weeks ago#9
Ok, so I have to watch out for single-save games. Got it. I wasn't aware this was a thing so I'll keep it in mind. I'm not opposed to getting two copies when needed but would prefer not to of course.

User Info: Cocco

Cocco
3 weeks ago#10
Patroeska posted...
If you buy psysical cartridges, they can share, no problem.
Just don't download the games, since it will be tied to the system.

This, but remember that not all the games allow multiple saves. So, for example, if you buy pokemon they can't play on their own since only 1 save is allowed
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Buying my two kids a N2DS each for Xmas. Can they share games?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived