Losing interest in Pokemon?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Losing interest in Pokemon?

User Info: GeneralVan

GeneralVan
3 weeks ago#1
I really hope this isn't the case. So a little backstory about me, I LOVE Pokemon. Ever since I was 7 and getting lost in Sabrina's gym I was loving every second of the game. However, after Sun and Moon and the overpriced DLC known as Ultra Sun and Moon, I feel bored. Like I want something new from Pokemon. Ever since I beat ORAS I started playing games like Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Shin Megami Tensei, Fire Emblem, Shadow Hearts, Stella Glow, and Etrian Odyssey and I'm not sure why, but ever since I played those games my hype for Pokemon has dwindled. Especially after I beat Sun I really didn't feel like touching it again.
I got Ultra Sun but find myself unable to finish it because it's just the same thing as Sun with a few new bells and whistles. Even the ultra cool Z-moves and Rainbow Rocket (nostalgia bait imo) just leaves me unimpressed. And I feel bad because I have such a huge history with the series.

Could it be that maybe Alola just isn't the region for me? Tbh I didn't enjoy it as much as RSE, ORAS, XY, BW2, etc. Also it doesn't help that the new wild Pokemon and trainer battle themes in USUM suck imo.

So am I losing interest in Pokemon or is it just Alola not being my cup of tea?

User Info: Mega_Gardevoir

Mega_Gardevoir
3 weeks ago#2
You played versions like Yellow, Crystal, Emerald and Platinum right? Those were technically the same as USUM, except some say with even less changes than what USUM did.

That said, I think it's just Alola and how they handled it. Especially since you liked the other 3DS games! Some people hate on all of them and call it the worst of Pokemon, but the fact that you liked them means you've still got love for the series as it is.

Although, playing other 3DS games plays a part in it too...You tend to notice just how much better those series improve their games compared to Pokemon, which swaps between good and bad features a lot instead of keeping most of the good.

I'd give Gen 8 a chance before you consider Pokemon done imo. I have been playing since Red\Blue too and SM definitely wasn't my favorite entry in many aspects. *I can still go back to the other games fine, but SM is just hard to pick up due to how...chatty and slow paced...it is.

GeneralVan
3 weeks ago#3
Mega_Gardevoir posted...
You played versions like Yellow, Crystal, Emerald and Platinum right? Those were technically the same as USUM, except some say with even less changes than what USUM did.

That said, I think it's just Alola and how they handled it. Especially since you liked the other 3DS games! Some people hate on all of them and call it the worst of Pokemon, but the fact that you liked them means you've still got love for the series as it is.

Although, playing other 3DS games plays a part in it too...You tend to notice just how much better those series improve their games compared to Pokemon, which swaps between good and bad features a lot instead of keeping most of the good.

I'd give Gen 8 a chance before you consider Pokemon done imo. I have been playing since Red\Blue too and SM definitely wasn't my favorite entry in many aspects. *I can still go back to the other games fine, but SM is just hard to pick up due to how...chatty and slow paced...it is.

You know what, I noticed this too! XY and ORAS felt much quicker and easier to get through because, while not as fast as the 2D games, still didn't feel like a slog. Gen 7's combat speed is just slow. Maybe that's another reason why it's turning me off. Battles take forever.
I will definitely buy Gen 8. Guaranteed. I've been playing Pokemon for over 15 years lol it's too late to quit now. I still love traveling around Hoenn and pretending I'm a big city star in Unova.
Also, another thing that really turns me off is Pokemon poking at nostalgia too much. Rainbow Rocket is just... ugh. And I hear they don't even flesh them out all that much. Though it is nice to see that Lysandre and Giovanni aren't dead (though I heard stories about parallel universes and whatnot).
Maybe it is just Gen 7 turning me off.

Mega_Gardevoir
3 weeks ago#4
GeneralVan posted...
You know what, I noticed this too! XY and ORAS felt much quicker and easier to get through because, while not as fast as the 2D games, still didn't feel like a slog. Gen 7's combat speed is just slow. Maybe that's another reason why it's turning me off. Battles take forever.

Yeah, the speed was still OK in those game, but in Gen 7 it started to bother me a bit. I liked the graphics, the music, and how they made some battles challenging. But gosh, I had a lack of pick up motivation due to knowing how long it takes to simply finish another 1 Pokemon Trainer battle.

GeneralVan posted...
Also, another thing that really turns me off is Pokemon poking at nostalgia too much. Rainbow Rocket is just... ugh. And I hear they don't even flesh them out all that much. Though it is nice to see that Lysandre and Giovanni aren't dead (though I heard stories about parallel universes and whatnot).

Yeah, those guys are...alternate versions. Not the same ones we know because they own the legendaries and stuff. I don't really like this sort of nostalgia pandering, I'd much rather see how the characters developed in the main timeline than them pulling "this is version 3.5.0 of Cyrus from the #10 alternate Sinnoh dimension" just to bring back someone. At least remixed music themes for them are pretty good!

GeneralVan
3 weeks ago#5
Tbh I don't see myself completing USUM. And about Emerald, Platinum, etc., they are different because they combine both games. USUM still has version exclusives and whatnot. BW2 is a completely different story with a new protagonist unlike USUM which only changes things here and there.
Going to play Fates Conquest instead. Maybe I'll get around to this game another day. But for now I just don't want to go through that slog again.

Currently I rate the gens from best to worst like this from best to worst:
3-5-6-2-7-1-4
7 still isn't archaic like Gen 1 and Gen 4 is just... tedious to me.

Mega_Gardevoir
3 weeks ago#6
GeneralVan posted...
Tbh I don't see myself completing USUM.

Later, you might want to finish it since it will be the "definitive version" of Gen 7. It does have good additions but they come later in the game. You already have it, so...

GeneralVan posted...
Currently I rate the gens from best to worst like this from best to worst:
3-5-6-2-7-1-4

I stopped caring about best\worst Gen tbh. All it does is divide people imo! They are all Pokemon games and play so similar it hardly even matters. I don't think fans will ever agree on the topic until they really make a game that includes nearly everything.

GeneralVan
3 weeks ago#7
That's true! I just like getting peoples' opinions on generations.
Also yeah I most likely will finish USUM but there a few games I want to play first such as Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest, Revelation, and Echoes. I already have it like you said so I might as well.

User Info: RPGkitsune

RPGkitsune
3 weeks ago#8
To be honest I was hoping for a bit more differences for USUM. I mean, I like the additions they did give us, but...

I just hope Pokemon Switch is better.
If you believe in Jesus Christ , have accepted him as your lord and savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this as your signature
3DS FC: 2320-6222-5987

User Info: DASHWOOD

DASHWOOD
3 weeks ago#9
I left the Pokémon games in Gen 5, the only reason why I left the Pokémon games was of no original content in my eyes. From that point Pokémon wasn't Pokémon for me anymore. I still play the old Pokémon games (Gen 1-3) on a regular base.
I am the first one who claims that the next 2D Metroid game will be "Metroid Dread".
Signed on 24th of August, 2017

User Info: JonnyBoyFF

JonnyBoyFF
3 weeks ago#10
There's nothing wrong with taking a break from a series and picking it back up when you feel it's interesting to you again (or not). Don't let yourself feel like you need to play or complete every one, or your quality of real life will suffer.
Life's too short to hate! Let's band together!
Become immortal Before it's too late!
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Losing interest in Pokemon?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived