Reason to back to physical and ditch digital

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Reason to back to physical and ditch digital

User Info: CAPSAR

CAPSAR
3 weeks ago#1
So after updating Pokémon bank yesterday my 3DS went crazy. Turns out the download has corrupted my memory card. I can't copy anything from it I can't delete I can't do anything. I've spoken with Nintendo customer support and it seems that all my data is gone. For this it's not that bad as I wasn't that far into the game but all my progress in X, Omega Ruby, and Sun is gone. All the Pokémon I got that I hadn't yet put in the bank are lost. Now I wish I had bought at least one of these in physical format.

User Info: Mega_Gardevoir

Mega_Gardevoir
3 weeks ago#2
Ouch, sorry for your loss! But I heard you can make manual backups on a PC for this sort of stuff, by moving the data from your SD card there. Something to consider I guess?

User Info: bungiefan

bungiefan
3 weeks ago#3
Since all Nintendo 3DS folder contents on the SD card (saves, digital games, DLC, updates) are encrypted to the system, the only protection against this is making backups of your SD card on a regular basis. Having it all on one card with no backups is a single point of failure, and all data storage media fails eventually, so multiple copies is how you mitigate that.
http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/wrines88

User Info: IvoEska

IvoEska
3 weeks ago#4
If it makes you feel any better, my physical cart of Pokemon X also got corrupted. The cart which I had been storing all my legendary/shiny pokemon on, and had transferred my pokemon team all the way from 4th gen too (which is now impossible to do, since online is down.)

It seems like digital copies can be backed up but once your physical cart goes bust through no fault of your own, there is no protection against that.

User Info: bungiefan

bungiefan
3 weeks ago#5
If you have the right tools, you can back up physical and digital game saves and remove the encryption that locks them to a console... So there is protection if you are willing to do what is needed to use it.

There is a 3DS Save Bank for such a thing too.
http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/wrines88

User Info: desaigamon

desaigamon
3 weeks ago#6
bungiefan posted...
Since all Nintendo 3DS folder contents on the SD card (saves, digital games, DLC, updates) are encrypted to the system, the only protection against this is making backups of your SD card on a regular basis. Having it all on one card with no backups is a single point of failure, and all data storage media fails eventually, so multiple copies is how you mitigate that.

This works for most digital games, but some games (Pokemon, Animal Crossing) have an extra layer of protection. The game will sign a unique code to the save file every time you save the game. This code is also saved to the 3DS. A backup would have a different code than your most recent save. If the codes don't match, the game will say the data is corrupt and ask you to delete the file to start over. This is done to prevent cheating (trading with another player and then loading a backup to get your stuff back).
NNID: HonestCarl 3DS FC: 4012 3979 5838
Now Playing: Mario and Luigi: Dream Team (3DS), Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U), Skyrim (Xbox One)

User Info: lukeskywalker66

lukeskywalker66
3 weeks ago#7
Good news: There's a new pokemon game you can buy in physical form to catch them again!
Anyone can believe in the truth. To believe in nonsense is a demonstration of loyalty... it serves as a uniform.
And if you have a uniform, you have an army.

User Info: VeryDarkSoul

VeryDarkSoul
3 weeks ago#8
@IvoEska your game got corrupted or you just had to delete and make a new save?
Rand Paul 2016

User Info: IvoEska

IvoEska
2 weeks ago#9
VeryDarkSoul posted...
@IvoEska your game got corrupted or you just had to delete and make a new save?

@VeryDarkSoul The cartridge wouldn't load in the DS anymore. The system froze for a while then acted like nothing was in the slot so I couldn't open the "app" at all. Had to throw the whole damn cartridge away

User Info: VeryDarkSoul

VeryDarkSoul
2 weeks ago#10
@IvoEska are you serious? You couldn't even try it in another DS?
Rand Paul 2016
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Reason to back to physical and ditch digital

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived