Would you purchase a Pokemon game new or pre-owned?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Would you purchase a Pokemon game new or pre-owned?

User Info: 8Panda

8Panda
2 weeks ago#1
I saw that ORAS was up in Gamestop for about 20 bucks. I also realized that a preowned copy is worth 25 bucks; should I bite the bullet and risk purchasing the used one for an additional 5 bucks? I don't know why but I would like to see what the previous owner had and transfer it.
People who talk too much don't do their talk. Braggers accomplish nothing.
3DS Friend code: 2277 7535 7800

User Info: Cocco

Cocco
2 weeks ago#2
Very strange that a new copy costs more than a used one. Said that, competitive players usually move all their stuff to the bank before trading in their games. I wouldn't expect anything special to be honest.

User Info: 8Panda

8Panda
2 weeks ago#3
Cocco posted...
Very strange that a new copy costs more than a used one. Said that, competitive players usually move all their stuff to the bank before trading in their games. I wouldn't expect anything special to be honest.

Black Friday brings down the price. But yeah I suppose anything worthwhile will have been moved. Is it common for used copy to be unplayable and the original user sold it just to dispose of it?
People who talk too much don't do their talk. Braggers accomplish nothing.
3DS Friend code: 2277 7535 7800

User Info: Mega_Gardevoir

Mega_Gardevoir
2 weeks ago#4
I personally recommend new. I bought Pokemon Y used, and while the owner was kind enough to leave their save file, including a launch Speed Boost Torchic, the cart didn't always work properly.

Idk if it was because of being used a lot (some people can put over 500+ hours into these) or because of an accident, but my 3DS could not always see the cartridge after I inserted it. To the point I had to hold the cart in place in to be able to play. The problem was solved after I cleaned the back of it though.

That said, used copies are a mixed bag. New copies are usually safer.

User Info: irulethegalaxy

irulethegalaxy
2 weeks ago#5
Buy the new copy, and look up some "reacting to my old save/used copy of" videos. There are lots.

I admit it's entertaining to see what a previous owner had. One of my used Pokemon games had a full battle team of shinies. Sure they are completely hacked, but I kept 'em because I like shinies.
Friend Code: 5155-2976-5976

User Info: nophoria

nophoria
2 weeks ago#6
Doesn't really matter as long as the case has no stickers and is in good condition.

User Info: HyperonicX

HyperonicX
2 weeks ago#7
If it's cheaper new, then get it new.
If it's cheaper preowned, then get it preowned.
Save yourself some money and get the cheaper option.
I hate the term "Git gud". It sounds arrogant, and if someone says it, I will not acknowledge their opinion.
Playing: Skyrim (PC), Pokemon Ultra Sun.

User Info: Magmasta

Magmasta
2 weeks ago#8
I wouldn't buy a used pokemon game because people like to hack those games to kingdom come.

Corrupted files are very common in pokemon
Bowser is a Tarasque and Magmar is a legend

User Info: bungiefan

bungiefan
2 weeks ago#9
Magmasta posted...
I wouldn't buy a used pokemon game because people like to hack those games to kingdom come.

Corrupted files are very common in pokemon

You cant corrupt more than the save file though, as the game data itself is on ROM (read-only memory) which cannot be changed. Hacking only edits the save file. You can always wipe that save file anyway and start a new one without any modifications.
http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/wrines88
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Would you purchase a Pokemon game new or pre-owned?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived