I hope the next true handheld has backwards compatibility

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. I hope the next true handheld has backwards compatibility

User Info: Unown_201

Unown_201
1 month ago#41
batinoari posted...
Who knows, maybe after the switch is dead...

I think if they are going to make hybrids from now on, the next system should be able to reuse the joycons and maybe dock again.

Ideally the Switch 2 will be able to use both the handheld and TV at the same time, like Wii U. Will have an optional attachable clam shell screen to make it like a DS, and it can reuse the joycons.

They could then have all games from all system playable on one.
"Knowledge is knowing the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both ways anyway."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1282-alternative-science-and-history

User Info: WarGreymon77

WarGreymon77
1 month ago#42
It doesn't need backwards compatibility. There are so many great systems out there that play 3DS and DS games.

But! It wouldn't hurt if they made something new that played GB, GBC, and GBA. I mean... The SP 101's I see for sale online are often beat up and scratched up. You've gotta be careful, too. Third party sellers often sell things under the wrong listing and you have to make sure to read the description.
Creator of the brand new Digimon: Digital Monsters community board

User Info: Lelouch71

Lelouch71
1 month ago#43
Given how successful the Switch has been thus far you are going to be waiting a long time dude. You can hate the Switch and not even buy it. You can buy into Nintendo's PR but it's clearly the Switch is the heir apparent. The writing is on the wall. If the Switch flopped then this would be a different story. 2018 they will be going all in with the Switch. Next year will be the last decent year for the 3DS. It will get some stragglers in 2019 with the online component remaining into the 2020s but for all intents and purposes it's basically done next year in terms of major or semi-major games.
"Your arms are too short to box with God!"

User Info: jimi_dini

jimi_dini
1 month ago#44
supremeblaster posted...
gonna get 3DS VC eventually

First of all I doubt that. Switch is not powerful enough.
Second that's not backward compatibility at all.

Unown_201 posted...
next system should be able to reuse the joycons and maybe dock again.

top kek
Why would you think that companies selling you last gen ports for full price over and over again and forcing you to buy "new" controllers - both successfully - will EVER make anything compatible again?

That's not going to happen. This is all free money for Sony + Nintendo. And customers show them that they like getting f***ed over.

You know, Wii U had perfect backward compatibility including compatibility with controllers and even supporting those "last gen" controllers for Wii U games.
Switch is the exact opposite of that. It's ripping people off left and right. And the only thing it has going for it is marketing.

It's like saying "oh well, next gen those greedy companies surely will make multiplayer free again.
Not going to happen and it's the fault of EVERY SINGLE PS4 + Switch buyer.
"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."
--Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015 R.I.P.

jimi_dini
1 month ago#45
CrimsonSmasher posted...
because the Switch we have now is a single screen.

but they ask for a 3rd party 2nd screen aka a smartphone, so that you use their paid multiplayer service.
lol

So much for useless 2nd screen or the Switch actually being 1 screen only. It's not.
"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."

User Info: memoryman3

memoryman3
1 month ago#46
jimi_dini posted...

Yes it is. Especially as it runs on ARM architecture and Nintendo have full documentation of how the 3DS works.
Daisy amiibo sass!
Switch FC - 5067-3358-4023

User Info: supremeblaster

supremeblaster
1 month ago#47
jimi_dini posted...

LOL Good one. A PS3 can emulate PS2 games, but a Switch can't emulate 3DS, which has games on a PS2/GC level? Ya gotta stop smoking brother
I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero. I have always only fought for the people I believe in. ~Zero

User Info: Roy_Turkey

Roy_Turkey
1 month ago#48
Question.

IF... There is to be a direct successor to N3DS (and its not Switch) do you think it will be like the
Vita Wireless or have a cart slot?
Genesis did what Nintendidn't, they came in Second! =P

jimi_dini
1 month ago#49
memoryman3 posted...
jimi_dini posted...

Yes it is. Especially as it runs on ARM architecture and Nintendo have full documentation of how the 3DS works.

I don't think you understand what I wrote.

3DS VC implies 3DS EMULATION. 3DS SOFTWARE EMULATION. The Switch doesn't have any (hardware) backward compatibility at all unlike the Wii U or the 3DS. Or the DS. Or the Wii.

Those systems were capable of running old software NATIVELY. Running stuff natively is not emulation though.

Wii U is not powerful enough to software emulate Wii games.
3DS is not powerful enough to software emulate DS games.

Wii U was capable of Wii "Virtual Console" (which wasn't really virtual at all), because it had Wii chips inside of it as well. It ran those games natively. That's why there also were no save states or anything at all like that.

3DS did the same with DS games because it also has DS chips inside of it. Still there was no "virtual console" for DS games on the 3DS.

Switch is not able to do the same for Wii games. That's why Nvidia ported over Wii games to their tablet, because it's simply not powerful enough to software emulate it. Simple as that. Switch also does not have 3DS or DS chips inside of it, because New Nintendo is cheap. Otherwise they would have delivered on backward compatibility at the very least for portable "predecessor".

Even your "it also uses ARM" shows that you know nothing about the whole topic.
Guess why Iwata-Nintendo added an ARM9 chip to the 3DS to be compatible with the DS? 3DS uses ARM just like the DS, so it wouldn't be needed, right?

The original Xbox also used x86. Just like regular PCs. And there is still no proper emulator, 15+ years later. Guess why... Although it should be trivial because "both use x86" meme.

supremeblaster posted...
A PS3 can emulate PS2 games

"emulate"
We are also talking about 3DS emulation here on a cheap Nvidia tablet and not on a console, that was literally worth $900 at release.

Using the same "logic" of yours, Switch should be at the very least able to software emulate Wii. Hell, it should be able to software emulate Wii U games, because Wii U is the PS2 when Switch is the PS3.

What about PS4 software emulating a PS3? I mean that's your logic, right?

So tell me, supremeblaster. Why does Nvidia port Wii games over to their weak tablet hardware, when they could instead software emulate it entirely?
Maybe you should contact Nvidia and tell them about your wise words. And after that call Sony and tell them to simply software emulate PS3 on their PS4.

User Info: CrimsonSmasher

CrimsonSmasher
1 month ago#50
GenerationX-Men posted...
There hasn't been one 3DS game ported to the Switch.

Besides Puyo Tetris, Mighty Gunvolt Burst, Blaster Master Zero, Gunvolt 1 & 2, Shovel Knight and many others...

supremeblaster posted...
LOL Good one. A PS3 can emulate PS2 games, but a Switch can't emulate 3DS, which has games on a PS2/GC level? Ya gotta stop smoking brother

As one Inti fan to another... You gotta stop with this bulls***.

Emulating something has more to do with how something is built rather than relative power. I don’t really know anything about making an emulator so I couldn’t explain, but you should know that the main 3DS emulator we have right now is incredibly taxing... Meanwhile a GC emulator can be run off a half-decent laptop.
FC 1504 5709 4054
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. I hope the next true handheld has backwards compatibility

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived