Unpopular Opinion: I like the 3DS Sonic Boom games better than the classics

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Unpopular Opinion: I like the 3DS Sonic Boom games better than the classics

User Info: Salocool

Salocool
1 month ago#11
The only reason why I think the first three Sonic are masterpieces is because of their astounding art and musical assets, completely overwhelming the later Sonic assets in any and every way.

While I'm not fond of their level design or general go-so-fast-you-can't-react-to-the-obstacle gameplay (I'd much rather play DKC 1-2-3, or Mario 1-2-3-W-W2), their overall quality is unmistakably sky high.
And the Lord [...] drive out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.

User Info: punisher1379

punisher1379
1 month ago#12
Any love for Sonic CD? After all these years, it's still my favorite.
Top 5: Metroid Prime, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Horizon Zero Dawn, Zelda: Oracle of Seasons, Xenoblade

User Info: GeekyDad

GeekyDad
1 month ago#13
The DS games were the only ones I think I ever finished. I used to enjoy watching skilled players play the original arcade game years ago, but I was never any good at Sonic platformers. But I still always try to take a stab at them when I'm in the mood. I enjoyed Shattered Crystal. I thought it was a good reward system that gave good incentive to replay levels. I still haven't finished it, but I enjoy it. Sonic Rush was probably the first time I came close to really experiencing what I'm guessing most fans of the series experience in terms of trying to get better and improve and really enjoying the thrill of beating times and making runs through a level click and be seamless. And SR Adventure was cool because of the extra gameplay elements they added.

But yeah, the 3DS games are good games. The Sonic franchise is just one of those franchises where older fans tend to want everything to stay the same in spite of the fact that newer generations of kids are enjoying the newer games. It's just more exclusion attitude that's prevalent in gaming communities.
The new GFAQs interface blows a$$!
My 3DS FC: 1418-6769-0538

User Info: Blayshy

Blayshy
1 month ago#14
GeekyDad posted...
The DS games were the only ones I think I ever finished. I used to enjoy watching skilled players play the original arcade game years ago, but I was never any good at Sonic platformers. But I still always try to take a stab at them when I'm in the mood. I enjoyed Shattered Crystal. I thought it was a good reward system that gave good incentive to replay levels. I still haven't finished it, but I enjoy it. Sonic Rush was probably the first time I came close to really experiencing what I'm guessing most fans of the series experience in terms of trying to get better and improve and really enjoying the thrill of beating times and making runs through a level click and be seamless. And SR Adventure was cool because of the extra gameplay elements they added.

But yeah, the 3DS games are good games. The Sonic franchise is just one of those franchises where older fans tend to want everything to stay the same in spite of the fact that newer generations of kids are enjoying the newer games. It's just more exclusion attitude that's prevalent in gaming communities.

Funny enough, these same "fans" ignore both Rush games because "it doesn't count".
Uh... A-Are you sure to interact with others?
-Mario, Ganondorf, Sonic, Bowser Jr. / Wendy, Duck Hunt, Marth, Mewtwo Mainer.

User Info: Crazy4Mario

Crazy4Mario
1 month ago#15
Blayshy posted...
GeekyDad posted...

Funny enough, these same "fans" ignore both Rush games because "it doesn't count".

How does Rush not count???
Prepare for trouble.
Make it double.

User Info: Blayshy

Blayshy
1 month ago#16
Crazy4Mario posted...
Blayshy posted...
GeekyDad posted...

How does Rush not count???

Because it's a handheld game and it would go against their narrative of Sonic not being good after 1994/1991/whatever.
Uh... A-Are you sure to interact with others?
-Mario, Ganondorf, Sonic, Bowser Jr. / Wendy, Duck Hunt, Marth, Mewtwo Mainer.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Unpopular Opinion: I like the 3DS Sonic Boom games better than the classics

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived