Monster Hunter 4 worth $11.99 if I've never played MH before?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Monster Hunter 4 worth $11.99 if I've never played MH before?

User Info: spacecowboymike

spacecowboymike
1 month ago#1
I see MH4 is on sale for $12 and I've heard good things about the game.

Is there a story?
Can you hunt anything right off the bat or is there a progression?

I'm looking for some good action games.

User Info: VivaLaRazaLH

VivaLaRazaLH
1 month ago#2
I would strongly encourage to go into the game with a buddy or someone else that is willing to guide you. Game has a huge learning curve. Didn't like it at first but when you get hooked... You get HOOKED.

There is a story but that's never been the selling point of the series. In single player, you are given a bunch of quests that you can choose. Only a few of those quests are mandatory to continue progressing. Rinse and repeat.
NNID: ElvisTheGreat 3DSFC: 0946-2752-2990
PSN: ElPapiElvis GT: ElvisTheGreat

spacecowboymike
1 month ago#3
VivaLaRazaLH posted...
I would strongly encourage to go into the game with a buddy or someone else that is willing to guide you. Game has a huge learning curve. Didn't like it at first but when you get hooked... You get HOOKED.

There is a story but that's never been the selling point of the series. In single player, you are given a bunch of quests that you can choose. Only a few of those quests are mandatory to continue progressing. Rinse and repeat.

Learning curves don't scare me. I really like challenges. LOVED the Soulsborne games, especially the bosses. I also love collecting cool looking armor.

User Info: lali_puna

lali_puna
1 month ago#4
Just watch these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6iYOHaGGKk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LN570LBJOY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGzA9KWmmJk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COPPOlXi2j8

But nope, the game is too hard 4 u! =P

User Info: ecylis

ecylis
1 month ago#5
There's demos for at least a couple of the games on eshop. I've tried multiple times to get into the series and just couldn't. If you like Souls you might enjoy elements of the combat that I didn't though. I hate when you can't cancel attacks and MH is full of animations you have to sit through
http://i.imgur.com/UgOcJQG.jpg

spacecowboymike
1 month ago#6
ecylis posted...
There's demos for at least a couple of the games on eshop. I've tried multiple times to get into the series and just couldn't. If you like Souls you might enjoy elements of the combat that I didn't though. I hate when you can't cancel attacks and MH is full of animations you have to sit through

The Souls series and Bloodborne are like that. You have to plan and commit to your attacks and you're wide open if you miss.

User Info: GeekyDad

GeekyDad
1 month ago#7
VivaLaRazaLH posted...
...Didn't like it at first but when you get hooked... You get HOOKED.

This kinda sums up the series.

And though, TC, you say you don't mind a learning curve, keep in mind that what he/she is referring to is not the game's difficulty, but rather a matter of wrapping your head around what MH truly is as a game. It's a hunting game. A lot of folks go in expecting the controls and your character's animations to respond a certain way. But these games are not hack-n-slash games. Once you gel with what the game truly is, like he said, it's a happy addiction.

The game was worth $80 (I bought copies for my son and myself), so yeah, definitely a steal at $12.
The new GFAQs interface blows a$$!
My 3DS FC: 1418-6769-0538

User Info: LordFarquad1312

LordFarquad1312
1 month ago#8
spacecowboymike posted...
Can you hunt anything right off the bat or is there a progression?

There's a progression. Most early quests are gathering or killing small fries. Monster Hunter 4U is probably the best entry point into the series, you should give it a try if you like the Soulsborne games.
The force is my ally
"If you are tired of fear from links... Let Kirby's Nightmare protect you."

User Info: gnugget5

gnugget5
1 month ago#9
MH4U was my first foray into the series (back when it was released). Like you, I was already a big fan of the Soulsborne games.

I actually completed the single-player mode (Village) before even going online. By that point, I had refined my skills pretty well and could more than manage multiplayer hunts (which are indeed, awesome with skilled players).

Bang for your buck, $12 is a steal. I think I put something like 500 hours into MH4U and agree that it's a very solid entry for newcomers. Only downside I can think of is that it's long past it's prime and the online community will have dwindled, especially up-and-coming players. I'm sure there are many that still play, though probably at a higher level than your current experience allows.
3DS FC: 1161-1065-6782

User Info: TreasureHunterG

TreasureHunterG
1 month ago#10
I bought it in September at the same price point, as my first Monster Hunter game as well.

I had played the demo before, but I didn't like it because you only experience the hunt, and not all the other aspects like crafting weapons and armor.

After playing the actual game, though, I can say it has become one of my favorite 3DS games, and that I'm now also a fan of the series. It's very challenging, there's always lots to do, like thinking of armor and skill setups, crafting consumable items, figuring out monster patterns, playing online, trying out different weapons, on and on and on. It's an insanely huge game.

I doubt there are many games out there with longer campaigns, and this has two, single player and "multi", but you can solo that too if you choose (it will be harder, though).

I'm about 150 hours in and I feel like I've barely begun experiencing the game. I'm in the middle of the high rank quests, and after that there's G-Rank, with various levels of its own, requiring better equipment and especially better skills.
---
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Monster Hunter 4 worth $11.99 if I've never played MH before?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived