RPGs are starting to tire me

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. RPGs are starting to tire me

User Info: Snake99001

Snake99001
1 month ago#1
Is this a sign of growing old? I used to love number-crunching in games, figuring out optimal builds and strategies, studying every party member's abilities meticulously to find out the best combinations etc. Now I just want to play without having to think.

Two games triggered this feeling lately. First one was Etrian Odyssey V. A tough, party-building, dungeon crawler. I was overwhelmed by the amount of choices presented in terms of builds even though I've played the previous 4 games in the series and loved them. I picked a random party without too much thought and, predictably, I hit a brick wall a few hours in.

Then, I went for a game I had in my backlog for a long time: Fire Emblem Fates. Again, huge fan of the franchise and always had fun playing the previous games to the fullest. This time I find myself too lazy to think up strategies, take into account my units' abilities etc. As a result I couldn't even get past the first major battle after the tutorial.

What games am I enjoying? Crash Bandicoot, Super Meat Boy, Shovel Knight and any other platformer you can think of. In fact the game I spent playing most last week was Yoshi's Island on SNES classic. Basically games that are easily to pick up and play and whose challenge revolves around reflexes and not intelligence. Is this the point of no return or can I do something to fall in love with RPGs again?
Fear your blindness

User Info: madeaccount4dis

madeaccount4dis
1 month ago#2
It's a phase <_< I played so many platformers in a row at some point then beat EO IV (and wrecked the ultimate boss too!) followed by Salt and Sanctuary

Just enjoy your platformers now and don't think too much about it imo :)

User Info: TinyTim123

TinyTim123
1 month ago#3
For me, RPGs have just started to take up way too much time. I haven't really been playing any games at all the last two or three months because of time constraints, and with certain RPGs, if you set the game down for a week and forget what you were doing, eh, you're screwed, though not nearly as badly now as on the SNES where an NPC might give you a quest, explain all the details once, and if you forget the NPC would just say "Did you get the item yet?"

I need shorter games now. Fighting games are good. Kirby games are good. Stuff where I don't have to remember all the intricacies of the battle system to continue progressing where I left off a month ago.

I still enjoy turn based strategy games, because I just think like that in general, but time has been a major factor in what I've been playing lately (nothing).

It's all the dang 80+ hour RPGs that have given me a backlog. If I have the time and desire to play through a game like that, it's great, but most of them have stories that just don't really hook me (Xenogame) or are so grimdark I have no desire to continue (most home console RPGs now) too.

Your life's needs may have changed to where RPGs are no longer for you, and that's okay. Go with it. Play what you want to play, and if you don't want to play something, then don't. Video games are supposed to be fun, and when they aren't fun, you should quit playing them and move on to something that is, which is why I set Ocarina of Time and Xenogame aside to play something else that I had fun with.
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/
En un mundo perfecto, eso definitivamente importaria.

User Info: z0mgthiefbeef

z0mgthiefbeef
1 month ago#4
Stop playing them then
If you like RPGs, play The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

User Info: yab

yab
1 month ago#5
I like them but yeah they are time consuming. I usually try to space them out by playing non-RPGs in between.

User Info: shinyspheal

shinyspheal
1 month ago#6
It's normal, just play some other things for a while, playing too much of something is bound to be tiring.
MHPortable 3rd AGGL true Legend. I am one of the real main reasons Bushido & Brave Gunlancing exists today on MHX/X. Please show appropriate respect. Thx.

User Info: Erukia

Erukia
1 month ago#7
TinyTim123 posted...
For me, RPGs have just started to take up way too much time. I haven't really been playing any games at all the last two or three months because of time constraints, and with certain RPGs, if you set the game down for a week and forget what you were doing, eh, you're screwed, though not nearly as badly now as on the SNES where an NPC might give you a quest, explain all the details once, and if you forget the NPC would just say "Did you get the item yet?"

I need shorter games now. Fighting games are good. Kirby games are good. Stuff where I don't have to remember all the intricacies of the battle system to continue progressing where I left off a month ago.

I still enjoy turn based strategy games, because I just think like that in general, but time has been a major factor in what I've been playing lately (nothing).

It's all the dang 80+ hour RPGs that have given me a backlog. If I have the time and desire to play through a game like that, it's great, but most of them have stories that just don't really hook me (Xenogame) or are so grimdark I have no desire to continue (most home console RPGs now) too.

Your life's needs may have changed to where RPGs are no longer for you, and that's okay. Go with it. Play what you want to play, and if you don't want to play something, then don't. Video games are supposed to be fun, and when they aren't fun, you should quit playing them and move on to something that is, which is why I set Ocarina of Time and Xenogame aside to play something else that I had fun with.

This. I work so much, it's hard to get my brain back into RPG mode once I have a day off. It's sad, but smartphone culture has become a much easier alternative for me. Quick apps and puzzle games have replaced hours of level-grinding and team building. I still need something to occupy my mind and keep me busy, just not with so much thinking. I'm too tired.
"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
New Leaf Dream Address: 5D00 - 0075 - B871

User Info: Meteordragon10

Meteordragon10
1 month ago#8
It's possible that you're just worn out mentally from playing so many of these games at once. Do you even play many other types of games besides these? As they say, too much of a good thing (or anything really) is bad... Take a break for a good while from those strategically in-depth rpgs, and then go back to one after awhile. If you find that you are not able to enjoy them because it seems like a lot of work, then the problem lies elsewhere.

It's also possible that maybe you have increased responsibilities in your life that are contributing to added stress on your brain, making these games a bit too much for you to absorb while dealing with other life responsibilities. Usually video gaming in general seems to slow down when people get jobs, get a girlfriend, have a kid...due to lack of time and the need for more responsible use of your time and brain.

Then there's "growing older" as you say. Yes, it is very possible that this could also be a reason for you not being able to keep up anymore. It's not always the case, but as people get older, their mind starts to get less...sharp and it can't handle as much usage as it could before. Not sure if that's the case with you though. There are plenty of older people who are sharp, patient, and fully capable of handling these things still.

As for Fire Emblem Fates...yeah, not sure what to think about that. Fire Emblem Fates (depending on which version you have, the difficulty setting, what mode you are using, etc...) doesn't take anywhere near as much strategy as other games I have played, but the reason for why you are having trouble there could be any of the reasons I listed above...or the game is just boring to you, hence why you had it on backlog to begin with.

Super Meat Boy eh...you're aware that game isn't exactly the greatest for your brain right...except err...for reflexes I guess? If you are trying to take a break from the huge mental strain you are getting from RPGs, then this game was probably not a great choice for this. Sure, the game is fun...until you hit a roadblock over and over and over again, until suddenly that fun turns into pure rage which makes you turn you into an angry rabies infested animal that chews on shoes or a deranged monkey on crack who throws crap at their neighbors because they came within your line of sight. I've seen people get like that (very angry that is). It's funny to watch on video but not so much to experience yourself, I bet.

Mmm, as much of a fan as I am of Nintendo, I found that Yoshi's Island as I am now is so boring to me that I could only play one level before beginning to regret my life choices. Weird because I used to really like that game.
3DS Friend Code: 2921-9132-1786 (3DS Name: Kratos), Region: NA/US
Unless I state otherwise, assume by default everything I am saying is merely an opinion.

User Info: CyberHaunky

CyberHaunky
1 month ago#9
Snake99001 posted...
Is this a sign of growing old? I used to love number-crunching in games, figuring out optimal builds and strategies, studying every party member's abilities meticulously to find out the best combinations etc. Now I just want to play without having to think.

Two games triggered this feeling lately. First one was Etrian Odyssey V. A tough, party-building, dungeon crawler. I was overwhelmed by the amount of choices presented in terms of builds even though I've played the previous 4 games in the series and loved them. I picked a random party without too much thought and, predictably, I hit a brick wall a few hours in.

Then, I went for a game I had in my backlog for a long time: Fire Emblem Fates. Again, huge fan of the franchise and always had fun playing the previous games to the fullest. This time I find myself too lazy to think up strategies, take into account my units' abilities etc. As a result I couldn't even get past the first major battle after the tutorial.

What games am I enjoying? Crash Bandicoot, Super Meat Boy, Shovel Knight and any other platformer you can think of. In fact the game I spent playing most last week was Yoshi's Island on SNES classic. Basically games that are easily to pick up and play and whose challenge revolves around reflexes and not intelligence. Is this the point of no return or can I do something to fall in love with RPGs again?

I'm kind of in the same boat. RPGs have always been my favorite genre and I used to be able to spend hundreds of hours with them. I used to do an annual playthrough of Final Fantasy 7 simply because I love the game so much. Now most RPGs can barely hold my attention for 5-10 hours.

Here's the catch, though. I don't think it's RPGs as a genre, I think it's bad or tiresome RPGs that are getting to us. For example, you mentioned Etrian Odyssey 5. FIVE. How many times can you replay the same game before it just gets old (let's be honest, each EO is basically the last game with a handful of new tweaks).

Fire Emblem Fates is the same game as part 1, with very minor changes. Did you play and enjoy part 1? Then you already played Fates, just with a different story and characters. Fates held my attention for about 10 hours before I quit it (after playing the first one for close to 80).

However, I'm currently 30 hours into the newest Xenoblade. It isn't a perfect game, but it's fresh and fun. I see myself playing this for dozens more hours, despite the fact that I've skipped just about every other RPG out there. I don't think you and I are sick of the genre, I think we're sick of the stale and underwhelming repeats of the genre.

User Info: Blayshy

Blayshy
1 month ago#10
CyberHaunky posted...
Snake99001 posted...

I'm kind of in the same boat. RPGs have always been my favorite genre and I used to be able to spend hundreds of hours with them. I used to do an annual playthrough of Final Fantasy 7 simply because I love the game so much. Now most RPGs can barely hold my attention for 5-10 hours.

Here's the catch, though. I don't think it's RPGs as a genre, I think it's bad or tiresome RPGs that are getting to us. For example, you mentioned Etrian Odyssey 5. FIVE. How many times can you replay the same game before it just gets old (let's be honest, each EO is basically the last game with a handful of new tweaks).

Fire Emblem Fates is the same game as part 1, with very minor changes. Did you play and enjoy part 1? Then you already played Fates, just with a different story and characters. Fates held my attention for about 10 hours before I quit it (after playing the first one for close to 80).

However, I'm currently 30 hours into the newest Xenoblade. It isn't a perfect game, but it's fresh and fun. I see myself playing this for dozens more hours, despite the fact that I've skipped just about every other RPG out there. I don't think you and I are sick of the genre, I think we're sick of the stale and underwhelming repeats of the genre.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
Uh... A-Are you sure to interact with others?
-Mario, Ganondorf, Sonic, Bowser Jr. / Wendy, Duck Hunt, Marth, Mewtwo Mainer.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. RPGs are starting to tire me

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived