This is a weird question but a little bit of air freshener got sprayed onto...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. This is a weird question but a little bit of air freshener got sprayed onto...

User Info: ObtuseAngina

ObtuseAngina
1 month ago#1
My New 2DS and seems to have caused a few shiny spots to appear on the top lid of the system, I've tried cleaning it off with rubbing alcohol and that didn't take it off is there anything I can do to remove the slightly discolored spots?
./|,-``\(o)_\,----,,,_.....GCE Entertaining New Ideas.
( `\(o),,_/` : o : : :o `-,... 1.048596

User Info: irulethegalaxy

irulethegalaxy
1 month ago#2
It's basically smoothed out the finish. There's no removing it. Plastic does stuff like this. That's why people ask about the weird shine that develops around the thumb pad and buttons--your skin eventually wears down the plastic and "buffs" it to a shine.
Friend Code: 5155-2976-5976

User Info: ObtuseAngina

ObtuseAngina
1 month ago#3
What the hell would be in a spray air freshener that's more corrosive than even rubbing alcohol?
./|,-``\(o)_\,----,,,_.....GCE Entertaining New Ideas.
( `\(o),,_/` : o : : :o `-,... 1.048596

irulethegalaxy
1 month ago#4
It's not necessarily a matter of corrosive, it's a matter of reactive. Plastic reacts with a lot of stuff--especially other plastic materials. I don't know enough (or care enough LOL) about the chemical makeup of various air freshners to know exactly what happened, but I do collect some pretty expensive plastic toys and you have to be pretty careful with them regarding chemicals, sunlight, etc etc if you want them to not get damaged.

User Info: bungiefan

bungiefan
1 month ago#5
ObtuseAngina posted...
What the hell would be in a spray air freshener that's more corrosive than even rubbing alcohol?

Plastic is a hydrocarbon, and it reacts to other hydrocarbons. It isn't corrosion, it is more that the freshener dissolved some of the plastic and then when it evaporated the plastic came out of solution back into a different shape than before.

It's what super glue does to plastic, it basically melts a little of it for a little while so you can fuse it back together.
http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/wrines88

irulethegalaxy
1 month ago#6
bungiefan posted...
ObtuseAngina posted...

Plastic is a hydrocarbon, and it reacts to other hydrocarbons. It isn't corrosion, it is more that the freshener dissolved some of the plastic and then when it evaporated the plastic came out of solution back into a different shape than before.

It's what super glue does to plastic, it basically melts a little of it for a little while so you can fuse it back together.

There you go. Plastic is also notorious for absorbing both odors and dyes. It's useful stuff, but not without its flaws.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. This is a weird question but a little bit of air freshener got sprayed onto...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived