How to manage your digital games on Nintendo consoles (especially 3DS)?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. How to manage your digital games on Nintendo consoles (especially 3DS)?

User Info: GrimPhantasia

GrimPhantasia
1 month ago#1
Well, I bought a New 3DS with some pre-installed games. I wouldn't like to lose them, but I was trying to buy Dragon Ball Fusions (and other games), but there was no space in the microSD (I use a 32 GB one), so I couldn't buy it (well, that's strange: can't I have it on my account even if I don't download it?).

Well, then I connected the 3DS to my laptop and am copying the files from the 3DS microSD to it through wireless connection. I don't know if it will be able to save my games just by doing that, but it was the best I could think of. Will it be of any use?

By the way, I don't know the difference between pre-installed games and pirated games, since I can see no difference: both are not connected to your Nintendo account and if you uninstall them from the microSD, they're gone.

But, as I said, maybe it doesn't even matter, 'cause I don't even know if I will be able to re-download a game I bought from Nintendo eShop if I remove it from the microSD, since I can't even buy a game if I have no space on microSD. And even if I'll be able to re-download it, in the future I may not be able to get it again when they remove the 3DS connection (which must not be so far away, since Switch is also handheld). And it seems there's still not a way to transfer your account with your purchases to other Nintendo consoles, or am I wrong?

User Info: desaigamon

desaigamon
1 month ago#2
Pre-installed games ARE tied to your account. They are licensed at first to the serial number of the system, but once you create a NNID, they are tied to that instead. If you delete them, you just go into the download history in the eShop and get them from there (alternatively, you can search for the game and on its detail page the "Purchase" button will be replaced with a "Redownload" button).
NNID: HonestCarl 3DS FC: 4012 3979 5838
Now Playing: Mario and Luigi: Dream Team (3DS), Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U), Skyrim (Xbox One)
(message deleted)
(message deleted)

GrimPhantasia
1 month ago#5
desaigamon posted...
Pre-installed games ARE tied to your account. They are licensed at first to the serial number of the system, but once you create a NNID, they are tied to that instead. If you delete them, you just go into the download history in the eShop and get them from there (alternatively, you can search for the game and on its detail page the "Purchase" button will be replaced with a "Redownload" button).

Hmmm, that's good to know about. However, since I didn't buy it from a store, I can't be sure if it was really pre-installed on the console or if it was used some kind of hack to pre-install the games through their CIAs, a method that's known for getting games which were previously factory pre-installed on other 3DS consoles and pre-installing them on a 3DS which originally had no pre-installed games.

Does it make any difference?

User Info: Meteordragon10

Meteordragon10
1 month ago#6
GrimPhantasia posted...
Hmmm, that's good to know about. However, since I didn't buy it from a store, I can't be sure if it was really pre-installed on the console or if it was used some kind of hack to pre-install the games through their CIAs, a method that's known for getting games which were previously factory pre-installed on other 3DS consoles and pre-installing them on a 3DS which originally had no pre-installed games.

Mm, it should still show up in the e-shop if it was legally pre-installed on the system, even if -you- did not go there to install it originally. Games that are installed through illegal means should never show up on the eshop, because you never went there to actually purchase and legally obtain the "tickets" necessary to use it.

Go check the eshop and see if the game shows up as being downloaded. I forgot what it shows up as. Something like, "installed" or "free" or "redownload" something. If you see any indication that it has been downloaded in the eshop, you are safe to remove it and it can be redownloaded.

Now, I've never had to delete a game before, but I've heard that it attempts to delete your save data for that game when that happens. Make sure you make a back up of the save-data on the system before deleting. Using the save-data backup feature. Since your game is digital you SHOULD be able to back it up, and then obviously you can restore it later when you reinstall the game.

I've heard there's a method you can use involving just putting the micro SD card in your computer, finding the actual game by it's Title ID, and just cutting/moving the file onto your desktop, and this keeps the save data in-tact while removing the bulky part (the game itself).
3DS Friend Code: 2921-9132-1786 (3DS Name: Kratos), Region: NA/US
Unless I state otherwise, assume by default everything I am saying is merely an opinion.

GrimPhantasia
1 month ago#7
Meteordragon10 posted...
GrimPhantasia posted...

Mm, it should still show up in the e-shop if it was legally pre-installed on the system, even if -you- did not go there to install it originally. Games that are installed through illegal means should never show up on the eshop, because you never went there to actually purchase and legally obtain the "tickets" necessary to use it.

Go check the eshop and see if the game shows up as being downloaded. I forgot what it shows up as. Something like, "installed" or "free" or "redownload" something. If you see any indication that it has been downloaded in the eshop, you are safe to remove it and it can be redownloaded.

Now, I've never had to delete a game before, but I've heard that it attempts to delete your save data for that game when that happens. Make sure you make a back up of the save-data on the system before deleting. Using the save-data backup feature. Since your game is digital you SHOULD be able to back it up, and then obviously you can restore it later when you reinstall the game.

I've heard there's a method you can use involving just putting the micro SD card in your computer, finding the actual game by it's Title ID, and just cutting/moving the file onto your desktop, and this keeps the save data in-tact while removing the bulky part (the game itself).

Well, it appears as downloaded. Even so, I tried to delete it to test. It appears as "re-download". I suppose I can assume the games are legitimate, right?

Meteordragon10
1 month ago#8
GrimPhantasia posted...
Well, it appears as downloaded. Even so, I tried to delete it to test. It appears as "re-download". I suppose I can assume the games are legitimate, right?
That is correct. If it shows up in the E-shop and allows you to redownload it, it means the game was either pre-installed legally or purchased legally.
Unless I state otherwise, assume by default everything I am saying is merely an opinion.

User Info: bungiefan

bungiefan
1 month ago#9
Meteordragon10 posted...
GrimPhantasia posted...

Technically, you are not allowed to sell digital games with the system unless Nintendo bundled them with it. If the person who sold it to you had a NNID, the games are linked to theirs, so you don't own them and they cannot transfer the license. If the system was sold to you with CFW already on it and all of those games, they are definitely pirated, and you lose them if you reformat the system to link your own NNID.

The eShop detects pirated games as installed, so you have to uninstall them to see if you can redownload them.

If you have CFW, you can back up your saves with JKSM to keep them even if the game is uninstalled.
http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/wrines88

Meteordragon10
1 month ago#10
bungiefan posted...
Technically, you are not allowed to sell digital games with the system unless Nintendo bundled them with it. If the person who sold it to you had a NNID, the games are linked to theirs, so you don't own them and they cannot transfer the license. If the system was sold to you with CFW already on it and all of those games, they are definitely pirated, and you lose them if you reformat the system to link your own NNID.

The eShop detects pirated games as installed, so you have to uninstall them to see if you can redownload them.

If you have CFW, you can back up your saves with JKSM to keep them even if the game is uninstalled.
Huh, oh...this guy bought a "used" New 3DS. That tripped me up a bit because I didn't see "used" anywhere there. I gotta stop responding to these things when I'm not fully awake.

Well, I guess a bunch of what I said should be disregarded then, TC... I was under the assumption at first that you bought a "new" New 3DS that came pre-installed with a game or two, or something, and all of what I said was under that impression.

If there was somehow not enough space despite having a 32GB SD card, that previous owner must've filled that system full of illegal games... As I didn't realize you TC, had a used New 3DS, keep in mind that you will lose any games if you make your own NNID and link it to that system. It's also not exactly a good idea to keep them anyway especially if you plan on buying your own games, as the user can still contact Nintendo and have them unlink their NNID from that system at any point...though if they are trying to avoid letting Nintendo know they pirated things, maybe not. They still could though. And since you are still using their NNID (right?), guess what? If the previous owners ever did decide to retrieve their NNID, your games would then belong to them and you'd lose access to them. This is why you should never buy games using someone else's NNID...

Last time I checked, the eshop did not recognize pirated games as being legit downloaded. Maybe whatever method I knew about is different from what you are talking about. There are different custom firmwires and few different ways to install games illegally after all.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. How to manage your digital games on Nintendo consoles (especially 3DS)?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived