New Nintendo 3ds xl sd card question

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. New Nintendo 3ds xl sd card question

User Info: Joehawk

Joehawk
1 month ago#1
Hello All,

I just got a new Nintendo 3ds xl. Before booting up I installed a 32 mb micro as card. I then followed all the prompts, updated the system, downloaded aitems from the e shop etc. I then discovered the back panel on my system had a stripped screw and would never open again. I notified Amazon and they sent be a replacement unit. I then wrestled in the back of the defective unit to retrieve my 32mb micro as card. I then inserted it in the new system before boootng up. I then read that your supposed to leave the sd card in the original system before initiating a system transfer. My question is, if I don’t care about any data from my old system since it was brand new, what happens if I boot up my new console with the micro sd card that I used when booting up the old defective system? Will it just overwrite the data and proceed to work as a brand new system? Or will this old data interfere with the new console as I didn’t properly perform a system transfer? Any feedback would be appreciated! I much rather bypass the system transfer and start over fresh. I currently have the 32mb micro sd card loaded in the new system, but I have not yet turned it on.

User Info: desaigamon

desaigamon
1 month ago#2
You mentioned downloads from the eShop in your post. If you paid for any of those, you'll have to do the system transfer to get them on the new 3DS. If all you did was download free stuff and you don't care about save data, there's nothing wrong with formatting the card and starting fresh.
NNID: HonestCarl 3DS FC: 4012 3979 5838
Now Playing: Mario and Luigi: Dream Team (3DS), Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U), Skyrim (Xbox One)

Joehawk
1 month ago#3
desaigamon posted...
You mentioned downloads from the eShop in your post. If you paid for any of those, you'll have to do the system transfer to get them on the new 3DS. If all you did was download free stuff and you don't care about save data, there's nothing wrong with formatting the card and starting fresh.

Thanks for the response! That is correct- I do not care about the save data or eshop items. In terms of formatting the card, will I need to do this manually before using it in the new console, or will it reformat as part of the system set up and automatically delete the save data on the card when I turn it on for the first time? Sorry if this is a basic question, I've just recently got back into portable gaming.

User Info: bungiefan

bungiefan
4 weeks ago#4
The Nintendo 3DS folder on the card will remain, and space used will remain. The current data is encrypted to your old system and unreadable by the new one unless you do a transfer to move the encryption key over. If you aren't going to do that, just format the card in a PC or delete the folder.
http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/wrines88

Joehawk
4 weeks ago#5
bungiefan posted...
The Nintendo 3DS folder on the card will remain, and space used will remain. The current data is encrypted to your old system and unreadable by the new one unless you do a transfer to move the encryption key over. If you aren't going to do that, just format the card in a PC or delete the folder.

Thanks for the insight. So just put the sd card into the adapter, load it on a pc, delete the folder Nintendo 3ds folder and load it in the new console and I should be good to go?
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. New Nintendo 3ds xl sd card question

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived