Which one is better? Super Metroid or Super Castlevania IV?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Which one is better? Super Metroid or Super Castlevania IV?

User Info: Nanis23

Nanis23
4 weeks ago#11
I am really, really tired of people misusing the term "Metroidvania"
This is not what the original term meant
A open world/hub game that you can progress through new areas when you have certain powers and you need to backtrack for them does not define a Metroidvania, otherwise every Zelda game would be a Metroidvania or heck even Pokemon (with it's HMs)

There is a reason why the term is called "Metroidvania" ever since those kind of games existed long before Symphony of the Night
You know people misuse this term when they call the Batman Arkham games "Metroidvania" too which they clearly aren't
Same goes for Shantae

A true Metroidvania games are games like Axiom Verge, Ori and the Blind Forest, Hollow Knight
Shantae is far too linear for that
3DS FC : 3411-1762-0066

User Info: spacecowboymike

spacecowboymike
4 weeks ago#12
Forgive me for I have sinned. I did not know my Castlevania history. Correct me if I'm wrong but SotN is when it went Metroidvania style?

This sets it in stone that I'll be getting Super Metroid. Not that Castlevania IV would be bad but it's not what I'm looking for in a game right now.

User Info: Nanis23

Nanis23
4 weeks ago#13
spacecowboymike posted...
Correct me if I'm wrong but SotN is when it went Metroidvania style?

Yes that was the first Metroidvania game
The classic games are just action platformer games with levels
Sotn is the first game with backtracking, save rooms, levels, weapon drops, teleports, non-linearity
Followed by 3 GBA games and 3 DS games that are all Metroidvanias too (OoE to a lesser extent but still)
3DS FC : 3411-1762-0066
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Which one is better? Super Metroid or Super Castlevania IV?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived