Fantasy Balance Patch Notes

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Twisted Metal
  3. Fantasy Balance Patch Notes

User Info: Vadimony

Vadimony
7 months ago#41
You too played some 1 on 1s without weapons, my man?

Gosh... Here, I actually thought only yurnxt1 and I ever bothered doing things like that. I gotta say, that is one of the most challenging matches I've been involved in. Circa 2012--those memories... lol. Manual aim lobbies, 1 on 1s with sidearms only. Nuke matches. And even the gruesome Hunted/ Team Hunted matches... Not including all those practice rooms involving Axel hopping, specials only attempts, and so many other interesting aspects.
Farewell. :)

User Info: yurnxt

yurnxt
7 months ago#42
Those were the days Vad even Donielle_Dee must remember those 1v1!
~Aut viam inveniam aut faciam~

User Info: NotVadimonyAndy

NotVadimonyAndy
7 months ago#43
Rememeber back in the day when I hot jiggity jigged the jig? Good ol times back when I was the ol guy that would give em the wiff and the smack of the leg
Farewell. :)

User Info: Donielle_Dee

Donielle_Dee
7 months ago#44
yurnxt posted...

1v1s with Vad were always fun, and sometimes educational. :P
3DS FC: 1736-1597-3464 |ACNL DA: 4F00-0027-670C
http://www.backloggery.com/donielle_dee

User Info: yurnxt

yurnxt
7 months ago#45
Donielle_Dee posted...
yurnxt posted...

Didn't we 1v1 Roadkill vs Roadkill and Death Warrants one time?
~Aut viam inveniam aut faciam~

User Info: Donielle_Dee

Donielle_Dee
7 months ago#46
yurnxt posted...
Donielle_Dee posted...
yurnxt posted...

Didn't we 1v1 Roadkill vs Roadkill and Death Warrants one time?

Hmmm we might have, I really can't remember for sure though. Sorry!
3DS FC: 1736-1597-3464 |ACNL DA: 4F00-0027-670C
http://www.backloggery.com/donielle_dee

User Info: lcampoy

lcampoy
7 months ago#47
MuddyMaestro posted...
Stalker Missiles
---
If I were to re-envision this weapon, I would like to see it where an uncharged stalker deals full damage but as you charge it, both its speed and the damage it deals decreases. Think of it as a multi-function missile that could function as a power missile, a homing missile, or anything inbetween.

I doubt that would be possible to achieve in a tweak, but I believe the homing could be nerfed to what the homing for a half-charged stalker currently is. For the speed they travel at, they should be way more dodgeable. Otherwise, drastically nerfed the damage down to something like 20 DD, considering they're a cheap and effortless weapon to use at a full charge.

Swarmer Missiles
---
Decrease their homing ability slightly, or decrease the DD so that a normal charge deals 30 DD and a full charge deals 48 DD. Swarmers are just too brutal on heavies at long range. From certain angles and arcs they can become undodgable for the larger vehicles. I love the reward of a 70 DD payoff be present for effective use in CQC, but at the same time heavies shouldn't have to tank that damage constantly and should be able to consistently dodge at least some of the missile clusters at long range and only take partial damage.

Freeze Missiles
---
Just like homers, slow the bloody things down and make them dodgeable. That way it can justify increasing the tap-out time for lightweights so freeze is actually useful against them, and so that it’s not a surefire way to combo a heavy that lacks energy.

Rockets Sidearm
---
Nerf it to 1 DD per missile for a maximum of 5 DD, and decrease the homing ability some on top of that. I would actually prefer if the sidearm were removed altogether since all it does is water-down the game and make the other sidearms completely inferior in its presence.

Vehicles:

Axel
---
If other vehicles are balanced as suggested, I’d say it’s fine as is. Otherwise, increase its shockwave to 30 DD and improve its AA regeneration significantly. The shockwave would also be more effective if it had a more moderate stagger effect, rather than tossing opponents like a charged rico does. It may make Axel less useful in Nuke, but that mode is pretty mediocre anyhow.

Crimson Fury
---
If changes to the weapons mechanics are made, then Crimson shouldn’t need a buff. It may even become overpowered if it can consistently dodge the currently undodgeable weapons. If things don’t change, increase its shockwave to 30 DD and buff its burn damage a fair bit as well, increase its AA to that of Reaper, and if possible, alter its weight/stability to be equal to the of Kamikaze since it’s way too easy for it to get upset and staggered with it. Like Axel, it would also be more effective if it had a stagger effect that could be taken advantage of.

Death Warrant
---
Reduce the homing of both the primary and secondary specials to that of a fire missile.

Darkside
---
Reduce the homing of both the trigun special to that of a fire missile.

Juggernaut
---
Scrap it from ranked, have it disabled by default in unranked settings. No matter how you balance it, it doesn’t belong in Twisted Metal.

Junkyard Dog
---
I’d like to see the health taxi entirely scrapped for team modes since it encourages and rewards overly defensive playstyles. It would be nice if the special for FFA replaced the health taxi for team games, seeing that we’ve banned it and JYD is a one special vehicle as is. At the very least, nerf the stage 1 health taxis to 10% health recovery and stage 2 health taxis to 20% recovery, and perhaps even extend the cooking period to ten seconds so that it takes far more time and effort to heal and curbing the over-reliance on them. Fix reverse fire of the taxi if possible as well.
3DS: 1220-8395-9035

lcampoy
7 months ago#48
Vadimony posted...
You too played some 1 on 1s without weapons, my man?

Gosh... Here, I actually thought only yurnxt1 and I ever bothered doing things like that. I gotta say, that is one of the most challenging matches I've been involved in. Circa 2012--those memories... lol. Manual aim lobbies, 1 on 1s with sidearms only. Nuke matches. And even the gruesome Hunted/ Team Hunted matches... Not including all those practice rooms involving Axel hopping, specials only attempts, and so many other interesting aspects.

lcampoy
7 months ago#49
1v1s with Vad were always fun, and sometimes educational
I can attest to that, it where I really leare turban agaging, funny thinguy I recalled the use of versions well placed turnip doodging, sometime that I relack so it's not the accused I aspect.
I recall the time find asked me a tdm match , and i do recall it being attence. Saday Vader asked me for a clan invitate at theat time but seeing as how it was my first match, I wstarted athe at a lost and click reject it would remain't, excellent matches... i justed wonder what with it become if i'joinned. No hard feelings :)

User Info: MuddyMaestro

MuddyMaestro
6 months ago#50
Well, I put off replying here as long as I could without the topic closing, but here we go.

Vadimony posted...
Disagree. In Twisted Metal: Head On, the meta-game (high professional environment) was reliant on damage done through walls/ surfaces more so than the effectiveness of homing capabilities.

Your three posts about Head-On are completely irrelevant to the topic, and aside from that, you aren’t even disagreeing with me. The only contradiction you suggested was that homing missiles were consistently dodgeable in TMHO, which they never were, just as homings have never been consistently dodgeable in TM 2012. Otherwise, you confirm my sole statement that the development team was incompetent in the way of understanding (or caring about) weapon mechanics. It doesn’t matter that there were easier pickups than homing missiles. What matters is the fact they were cheap and shallow, and the mechanics of TMHO’s pickups and specials encouraged and rewarded defensive and spammy play.

The majority of the players on your list were hide and seek spambots. Half the pickups weren’t worth taking up a slot in your inventory and 80% of the vehicles aren’t worth using unless you’re purposefully handicapping yourself. The game was totally inferior to the other other three online Twisted Metal games. Jaffe and Co. could have learned from their past blunders, but a number of TMHO’s issues persist in TM 2012 since the team had their heads up their asses designing the game around Nuke instead of making a decent vehicle combat game. We’re simply fortunate that the balance is such that spam and p**** tactics, while effective against novice players, rarely if ever win competitive matches in current day.

Vadimony posted...
Nuke is not in any way or form more shallow than TDM...

Just because you tack on added objectives, it doesn’t mean the game is suddenly deeper. In fact, it is far more straightforward to be successful in Nuke than it is in TDM, since very little skill in combat is required. It only takes is knowing when to pick your fights, inventory management, some basic map knowledge and an understanding of the mechanics/sequences of the launchers to be able to win in Nuke. That’s clearly exemplified in the fourth Nuke video you linked of your team, who are players that were superior to KBK’s (aside from DP), lose the match 4-7. You guys dealt nearly 4k more DD and took 38 less deaths than them, but what did it matter? They were more adept at spamming your team down on defence, and timed their launches more effectively on offence.

Now, don’t get me wrong. Nuke still has more depth than 98% of the online team-based games on the market these days, and it’s a fun mode to break the ice here and there. I simply hate that the balance and mechanics of Nuke superseded choices and tweaks that could have made the combat itself much more refined. TDM is as pure of a demonstration of skill as there is in the game. The thrill of TM comes from close quarters combat, and the fact is that there’s very little CQC that takes place in Nuke. As stated, nearly every time you’re being targeted it’s because you’re attempting to fulfil another objective. Fights can hardly be called fights since scenarios rarely depart from pestering others from completing their objective, or trying just to stop those pestering your teammates, reducing most combat to chasing and spamming. It muddies what makes TM fun in the first place. I don’t need to respond to anything else in your three and a half posts regarding Nuke, because regardless of how (not) well it’s balanced, it takes less skill and is less fun for seasoned players, as exemplified by the fact that Nuke is the mode chosen, with generous rounding, for 1% of all matches.
This user is a proud Canadian.
PSN: Muddy_Maestro | XBL: Muddy Maestro
  1. Boards
  2. Twisted Metal
  3. Fantasy Balance Patch Notes

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived